The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 2 hour "show" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I don't do two hour parties very often because I find the SECOND hour much more work then the first hour, yet your not getting paid as much.

I'd rather do 4 one hour kids parties for $200 each then 2 two hour ones for $350.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks for all these great (and I mean great ideas)! Terrific discussion. I'll be better prepared the next time this crops up, and, perhaps I should add the 2 hour "complete party" to my offerings. I'm afraid I didn't do so well in the quote department, but I won't let that happen again.
There are going to be between 25 and 35 kids. Pass the balloon doggy sounds good. Maybe have them toss cards into a hat, too. Then magic lessons. They have to learn to float my paper wand handouts.
Thanks a lot, guys. Don't let me dissaude more discussion on this topic...

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I play Pass the Bunny! We pass around my hat with a real rabbit inside. I then make balloon animals as prizes.

I sometimes do a 2 hour party but don't usually offer them. After reading this thread I am tempted to start pushing them a bit for Sundays. (I've turned away 5 people for this Saturday but I have only 1 show on Sunday). Now, I know what objection I am going to get in advance if I begin offering a 2 hour service. Mothers are going to say the children don't have an attention span that long. Newbie clients often leave voice messaging with me asking what I charge & how long I last (gotta wonder). If I mention a duration early on in the conversation I nearly always receive an objection that the children can not focus that long. Indeed many 4 year olds can only focus on something for a minute or two before they need to have another jump around.

Still a 2-3 hour party with a magician there for 2 hours is got to be easier than a 2-3 hour party with a magician there for 45 minutes.

How do you UK guys prevent or avoid the objection that kids can't concentrate on something for 2 hours?

I assume your 2 hour package is similar to my 90 minute package but with a tea break. Do you have any good tips for me trying to up sell the tea break onto my existing 90 minute show?
:coffee:
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I just tell them the timetable on the phone, 35 mins games, 25 mins food break, magic show. They thing is not to make it sound like you do nothing during the break, My sales pitch goes something like,

After the games we have a 25 minute food break, While you're giving them there sugar injection I'll catch my breath, set up the magic show and then if they are in the same room they can watch me make some balloon models while they eat. We also do the cake during the break and get all the kids emptied by doing a toilet run before the show.

They go to the tables or whatever, I set up the show and make the large bribery balloon model, then tell the mum it's time for the cake, we do the cake and then I tell the kids that it's time for the magic show and it’s a good Idea to nip to the loo before we start so they don't miss any of the show later on. As far as the booker is concerned I have been busy the whole 2-hours.

<<<<"Pass the Parcel" seems a little different than what I have experienced. What I was explaining was a variation, a way to give the birthday gifts and avoid the "Open mine first!" dilemma, rather than a game in itself. >>>>

I tell the booker not to let the kid open the presents until after the party when everyone’s gone home. This way 1, they can keep track of who gives what, 2, Bits and pieces don't get lost, 3, The birthday kid can't find a great toy that they find more interesting than the party.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Mr Grey
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Mr Grey
Out of curiosity how many of you are now doing full length parties? If there is quite a bit of it going on, then this is unusual in the US and I wonder why it is happening in your area.

Unless it isn't of course. I don't live there and have no idea. I suspect Roger has raised the standard and helped you all increase your income.

I am sure that you are very thankful

With regard to "Pass the Parcel" the trouble with it is that it is an elimination game. The eliminated kids have nothing to do while waiting and can cause a distraction. Or so I have been told. When I did the full party I never used elimination games.

I will tell Emazdad that my games segment and indeed full party shows were quite successful. It is just that I didn't enjoy the concept. I like to arrive, set up within one minute, do the show and leave within 3 minutes of finishing. In and out.

A weakness of mine is that I don't particularly like talking to strangers out of shyness and I find that hanging about in a house for a couple of hours forces me to talk to the adults there which would be good for business no doubt but I am not comfortable with it so I don't bother.

However I do see the advantages of the full party for those of you that might be more comfortable with the concept. I do remember that "Jolly Roger" Blakiston once told me that he didn't particularly want to do the games but he knew how profitable the idea was hence his participation in the idea.

Sorry for the long post.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I don't know what it's like in the U.K., but at every party I've ever been too the gift opening is a big part! Kids want to see "their" gift being opened, and want to recieve a "Thank You!" and all that goes with it. I couldn't imagine not opening gifts at the party.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

I remember reading Jolly "Roger" Blakiston's articles in Abra.

Phillip
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

There is a "Jolly Roger" under the magicians' heading in the Phoenix yellow pages. That's about all I know of him.

Ron
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I don't know what it's like in the U.K., but every party I've ever been to, the gift opening is a big part! Kids want to see "their" gift being opened, and want to receive a "Thank You!" and all that goes with it. I couldn't imagine not opening gifts at the party.

Hi,
Here in the UK we tend to go on the principle that it is the thought that counts and not the contents of the gift, we say thank you on receiving the wrapped gift and open them at home after the party. In addition to the points made by Emazdad, this also means that parents are not constantly trying to out do each other by buying better gifts than others. Rather like school uniforms everyone dresses the same so there are no class distinctions.
Phillip
Mr Grey
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Mr Grey
Thank you Ron and Phillip. Mr. Blakiston was President of the local magic club.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Roger's website is http://www.comicmagician.com by the way. Don't want to sound uncharitable here guys but his puppets look like kids toys compared to ours. He also claims to be "England's Finest Children's Entertainer"

We also had a guy locally claiming to be the "World's Finest Children's Entertainer" (amongst dabbling in a wedding video business, double glazed windows and inflatables!). But that's another story.

I note JR (JR!!) carries a Union Flag on his website, and wonder whether this is a strong selling point in the States? Anyway, good luck to him, he is obviously a good pro.

Tony
Mr Grey
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Mr Grey
I don't think Roger will be moving to Cheshire soon since he seems to be doing OK in Arizona.

You will like Roger almost as much as he likes himself.

I have never seen him do a kid show but I can confirm that he is a funny and articulate fellow. I haven't the slightest doubt that he is a great kids entertainer even though I have never seen him work.

I have seen him however perform at other venues and he was quite excellent.

When you posted his website I couldn't resist e-mailing him that he was being discussed here. I get a psychic vibe he will be appearing shortly to tell you how wonderful he is and how he really has cornered the market in his home area. I haven't talked to him in years.

I hope he arrives. It will be fun.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Englands finest children's entertainer he he he

Hey Ace, if he was the best when he moved to the states in 1992, do you think he saw your act, decided he couldn't compete and quickly emigrated before he got de-throned. Smile
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Mr Grey
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Mr Grey
I do not believe Roger thinks he is merely the best magician in England. If he appears he will no doubt inform you that he is the best magician in the Western Hemisphere. Or Eastern come to that.

I do wish he would hurry up and arrive. The suspense is killing me.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Hello Folks..............This is Roger Blakiston( aka Jolly Roger)

I hear rumours folks are talking about me. What would you all like to know?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Roger,
We are dicussing the pros and cons and the whats and wherefores of a 2 hour birthday party gig, as opposed to a "normal" 45 to 60 minute magic show with balloons. Thanks for your imput.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Mr Grey
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Mr Grey
Welcome! It’s about time!!!!!

How are you? It has been so many years.... I must have known you for decades.
Have you read the entire thread yet? I don't just mean the bits about YOU!!!!

I would actually like to know if the facts I have posted about you are correct or an exaggeration. I would emphasize that the stories did not come from you but from a local magician from your area that I bumped into.

He said you had "cornered the market" and had upped the price way beyond the normal. In fact all the things I posted. I have no idea if they are true or not. Only you know that. It must be remembered that the information I got was from an admitted anecdotal source.

Perhaps you can enlighten us all. I will stop talking now and let anyone else ask any questions they want.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Phillip wrote:

Hi,
Here in the Uk we tend to go on the principle that it is the thought that counts and not the contents of the gift, we say thank you on recieving the wrapped gift and open them at home after the party

Must make Christmas morning a little boring over there, huh!

Well, that's not the way we materialistic Americans do it. In the good ol' US of A we like to open the gifts at the party.

God bless America!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I am a modest man....even if I had a big ego when I was younger! I have matured nicely on my spiritual journey on planet earth! Humility is a virtue. Thank you for your kind comments, Mr. Grey.

For those who are members of The Magic Circle, you will know that I write a bi-monthly column called "Circling The World". in The Magic Circular. I also wrote for several years in Abra a column called "Jolly Roger Goes West". I ran London's largest children's entertainment agency for several years "Jolly Roger Entertainments" in the late 1980's. I moved to Arizona in 1992, selling the agency to Dawn Judd. I am a two term Past President of SAM 248 in Scottsdale. I was MC of this year's "Arizona Parlor Magician of the Year". All the professional magicians locally, and many nationally, know who I am...and I believe they respect me.

Have I cleaned up with my shows in the Phoenix area? Ask the pros! However, there is enough work for everyone, as long as they are good. As far as I know I am the only person doing a 2 hour party here....and that must be about 80 percent of my party bookings. If any local magicians wish to copy me, feel free! Competition is healthy, and that way we can all elevate our performances!!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Jolly Roger,
What advice can you give me (us) about possible game or other fun activities to fill the 2nd hour at a birthday party, either before or after the magic show? I'll probably be having the 2nd hour after the magic show. At least this time.

Thanks for your imput.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 2 hour "show" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL