The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Gambling escapes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2479 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hey, anyone else out there earn money on the side taking escape challenges? I made a good bit of money doing that in college, and yes, I was in control, though the betters never realized it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I have won cuffs and some padlocks but not money.

Ian
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Though I've done plenty of escape challenges (like most of us, I cut my teeth that way) it never occured to me to do them for money, probably because I'm not really a gambler anyway. The other thing is, I genuinely like to be tested and don't mind being beaten, provided I know I've put up a good fight, been taken to the limit and been defeated fairly by a worthy adversary (though I'll admit the word "fair" has a certain elasticity in this environment, for both sides), so placing a stake would change the field of play too much.

Bottom line: I'm just too nice to make it as a hustler.

I will also admit though that no-one yet has comprehensively defeated me (effectively and indefinitely restraining anyone of decent fitness and mental aptitude is much harder than you'd think), though I do suspect another escape artist would be the one to do it, someone able to think a few moves ahead rather than just relying on the same theory we all know and practice against.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
I tried to get the odds on my Guinness Record attempts but the only people that were interested in William Hill and I could not generate much interest.

Maybe David will have better luck if he wishes to try this route for his records.
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
I've done some challenges and a few bets, but mostly not for money - just for the oooh-aaaah factor.

I got talked/coerced (forced is a better word) into an escape attempt at a party a while back that didn't go so well. "Oh, I hear you're quite the escape artist....well, let's see if you're so good...." I ended up being humiliated and frustrated to the max. Since then, I've vowed not to even admit to having escape talent/aspirations of any sort if someone else brings it up.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2479 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hi hands,

don't quit so fast. There are only a couple of things you really need to pre plan to make money doing this.

I had the bid advantage of doing in in college dorm situations. Realize that when it comes to restraiing someone, what have you got in a college dorm? Some belts? bandanas? neckties? In such a situation when you pull out a very real and examinable pair of handcuffs, the one you are betting is sure to want to use them. (take a moment to thank the media of television for making handcuffs seem so incredibly powerful).

Now if you were in somebody's house that adds a whole different dimension to the problem. They could have rope or duct tape etc. and you'd never know till it was too late.

One of my stipulations was I had to know the exact set up and devices to be used before we started. Then I could ask to use the restroom before I got restrained, just in case any equipment needed to be relocated.

There were also bets I refused. I have no clue how to escape from a wrap of duct tape. Do you?

anyway, just plan it out keep in control and you can make mopney (or ohhs and ahhs) at this game
Magic is like Science,
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Is duct tape the same as gaffa tape? If so, easy; it's designed to be strong when pulled lengthways, but easily torn across. This is a fact that everyone who uses the stuff knows full well, yet for some reason a lot of people forget it when they tie you up with the stuff.

I've never been beaten by tape of any kind; if it's in contact with the skin it will generally sweat off anyway, most PVC-based tapes have enough elasticity and give in to make escaping a breeze, either by wriggling out of the loops or by effecting what I like to call a Superman escape (flexing out your arms and upper body to expand or break the tape, like Superman or King Kong breaking the chains).

Why not get a friend to bind you in duct tape just to see? You don't know what you can do until you try.

As for the television influence, bondage techniques as displayed on TV leave much to be desired, which makes our job easier in so many ways. How do you spot an escape artist watching an action movie? They think the hero's an idiot for having to kick over the bookcase, break a mirror, upset an oil lamp, set fire to the room and cut himself free with a shard of glass, all to escape from a laughably simple rope tie.
Bretigan
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee
102 Posts

Profile of Bretigan
Helen, didn't you say before that the tape has to be applied evenly and only 2 layers? Not 100% sure, but I think you said that if they layer it more, it is extremely hard to get out of (let alone nonescapeable). I think in a challenge, the person is not going to do it in even layers and they will keep on going until they are tired. This trick would not be worth the gamble.

As far as bets go, I did do some escapes a couple of years ago for more of a charity event (a friend was going to Africa on a peace mission or something like that and needed money for the trip). Needless to say, I was able to raise around $100 and didn't loose any challenges. They could use either rope or stretch wrap.

My friends have suggested before, to go to bars with the roll of stretch wrap, and win money. Again, not worth the risk if they didn't follow the "rules" of how much to use.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Helen about the Gaffa tape I do think it is the same thing. they use Duct tape Here Practically on Anything to fix hold it together.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
That doesn't sound like something I'd say; I try to influence people's methods of binding me as little as possible, in a performance setting because I want it to look fair but in a challenge setting (which I consider a different game entirely to controlled performances) because I genuinely like to be tested.

I've never been beaten with tape; I had a tough time the first time I was wrapped neck to ankle in plastic wrap and thick PVC tape (a lot of both, too much to just break through), but once I'd figured out how to find the weak points and make small holes into big, usable holes I was away. I suppose if someone enclosed you totally in a big cocoon of the stuff you may be stuck, but then you could beg off on the grounds of needing oxygen.

All I can say is try it in a practice environment. To go into any more detail would require me to demonstrate in person.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2479 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Duct tape does = Gaffa tape,

I have always wondered the meaning of the title of the Kate Bush song "Suspended in Gaffa"
Magic is like Science,
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
If you are going to use gaffa tape on hairy areas, for gods sake shave them first!
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Hey why not use the tape on a hairy part. and BET on how LOUD/if the Person screams/makes a noise or Not.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I'm shaved all over (except for head and genitals), it's part of my gimmick. The tape just sweats loose then.

There, you see, my way really does make sense. One day all escape artists will be wearing frocks!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Helen, I'm almost convinced. I mean I already have a girls name.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Roslyn since you have a Girls name. do we get you a Dress now J/K. there are guys who call their selves frank when actully their name is francis.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2479 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
This is a note to Lee who sent me a message to my home e-mail box on this topic. For reasons that have nothing to do with you, I don't want to send an answer to your question from the mailbox you used.

Post your question here (it is on this topic) and I will answer it here.

Sorry and thanks,

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Don,

I'm affraid that my physique isn't really suited to wearing dresses. Although that does all depend on how much someone would be willing to pay me.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Whats going on with LEE ? Ros who knows someone might pay you or something else might happen. Don,
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
You can win anything on a bet. I once bet a guy a dollar he couldn't eat an earthworm. He ate it, I gave him his dollar, and if you think about it, I still won!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Gambling escapes? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL