The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best Dagger Chest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
OK, it's time for a discussion of the head dagger chest. I've seen the MAK Magic one, Murder Inc, in several places, but I'm still not convinced that this is the best prop to use for the effect.

I'm not looking for the cheapest prop; I'm looking for a high quality prop that I use for a long time.

So, who makes the best one available?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I would be curious about this as well.

Is Mak Magic a decent company? Is their Quality decent? etc. Who makes one better?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Mak Magic, itself, is a great company with wonderful products. Their dagger head chest happens to pretty good, with the exception of the slight depth issue, this being the design flaw in most models - How to get the had and fifteen odd blades all in a box, whle still looking deceptive.
If you have people at more than about a 45º range from you, they are likely to notice the box is a bit elongated.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
When I was a dealer, I used Mak Magic quite a bit and was for the most part happy with everything from them. (Their service, by the way, was always great) You do need to be discriminating when buying from them, however, because the quality of their props varies. A lot of what they sell is Indian produced magic. It's inexpensive and a lot of times very good, but every now and again you'll get some real junk. Basically, if their price seems too good to be true, research it a bit more. It may turn out to be a real gem, but then again, it may not.

The dagger chest is good quality, but I would repaint it. It definitely looks like something from a magic shop. They also sell a very good Indian-made sword through neck.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Yeah, if I decide to get Murder Inc, the first thing to go will be that cheesy flame paint job.

I remember seeing a superb Head Chest back in the 1970s. Jeff Sheridan used to use this effect in some of his shows, and the model pictured in the book Street Magic is quite nice...

...and the magic prop isn't bad either!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Arrowhead from Abbotts seems a better idea.

Packs flat, and the David Gin routine is EXCELLENT
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
I use both Murder Inc and Arrowhead.....AH works better for intimate situations. I took the HC off its cheesy stand and mounted it on a special base with a variable height stool -- SO THE SPECTATOR - I use will be comfortable sitting down. (The rolling base also raises the whole effect high enough to be seen off a flat floor.)

I also acquired the requisite number of REAL Arkansas TOOTHPICKS AND A SNAZZY SWORD - grinding them to size to replace the aluminum (servcicable but ugly stake like) swords that came with the piece. I still have to correst the fan display atop the case as it is an essential (if done right) part of the gimmick, not just a display.

With AH I have had a couple of specs complain of a claustraphobic feeling -- but show pre-work can take care of that. I have heard some horro stories of anxious amateurs "piercing the veil" with this trick and injuring their volunteer. It is possible.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Michael Seay
View Profile
New user
Northern California
45 Posts

Profile of Michael Seay
Which online store is selling the Arrowhead version? I looked at quite a few, but no luck.

Thanks,
Michael
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2005-04-11 15:55, Michael Seay wrote:
Which online store is selling the Arrowhead version? I looked at quite a few, but no luck.

Thanks,
Michael

Arrowhead is an Abbott's illusionette.

https://elektra.safe-order.net/abbottmagic/p852.html

As far as I know it is only available from Abbott's ,
unless you can find a used one on MagicAuction.com or eBay.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Check This out
http://www.stores.ebay.com/magicandillusions a Good Head chest at a fair price I Use this one and I have good luck with it. It is made in India but there is nothing wrong with it. it is of high quality the paint job is much better then murder inc and there is only 9 swords making this more believable then murder inc. Don't get me wrong MAK Has High quality items but why pay all that extra money for the same effect. and the same quality.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
Quote:
On 2004-10-15 17:38, BarryFernelius wrote:
Yeah, if I decide to get Murder Inc, the first thing to go will be that cheesy flame paint job.

I remember seeing a superb Head Chest back in the 1970s. Jeff Sheridan used to use this effect in some of his shows, and the model pictured in the book Street Magic is quite nice...

...and the magic prop isn't bad either!

But I like the cheesy flame, My shirt has flames on it and so does my hat that I wear. Smile I feel cheesy, thanx a lot *Sniffles*
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
bigmanofmagic
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
14 Posts

Profile of bigmanofmagic
I actually saw Mak's Murder Inc. in the shop on display, and fell in love with it. I actually bought it based solely on the flame paint job!

Bryan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Dear Bryan (and other seasoned performers that have performed this effect in their show),

Have you been happy with the Mak Magic Head Dagger illusion?

Doe s it present convincingly to a corporate crowd seated in fron and slightly off to the sides?

When you open the box and show that the head has vanished, is their an audible gasp from the audience, or snickering and sighs of..."how fake!"?

Your candid response and insights into the pluses and minuses of this illusion will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
So far the best I know and use is Paul Osborne's "Chest of Nefertari". It is in his Illusion book Volume 1. Perfect size for any volunteer.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Dear Lou,

Can you please post a link that directs us to a photo or more info on the Chest of Nefertari? In your opinion, What is the price range? Why is it better than the Head Dagger Illusion and Arrowhead or Tilford's "Spikes"?

For my next show, I will borrow my friend's Mak Magic Dagger chest. I am doing a corporate show at the Ritz Calrton, in one of their smaller rooms.

The audience will be about 60 guests, sitting at round tables in from of a 12 inch high platform stage.

The nearest spectators will be about 6 feet from the front edge of the stage. My concern is that those sitting in the front row might see the mirrors when the box is opened up. I will visit the show site and test out the effect under show type lighting (two 500 watt floods, at 45 degrees).

Has anyone ever seen or performed the head dagger chest in such relatively close-up conditions? If so, are the mirrors apparent to the audience?

As Johnny Mystic pointed out, the effect doesn't seem to "fool" younger audiences, and I have a hard time believing that adult audiences will be amazed (stunned) by the vanished head phase of the routine --especially at close range. Still, I can imagine having lots of interactive fun with this effect, since my style is silent-comedy with music (gentleman persona with a mischievous streak).

I may even call up a second volunteer from the audience to help me thrust one or two of the blades into the box.

I believe though that I will have to carefully choose and prep (on stage whispers)my main volunteer to ensure that they are not upset by the "closed in" feeling of the box.

I am using this effect to replace my Buzz Saw thru the neck comedy-illusion, since this is a repeat client and the Dagger Chest will be my grand finale.

More comments, insights and perspectives are welcome at this point.

Many thanks.
Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
According to "the Trickery" (on-line store) Mak Magic has stopped making their Murder inc. Head Dagger Chest illusion altogether.

Instead, The Trickery offers a wooden Dagger Chest on their site at $225. Unfortunately, there are no photos yet on this new Chest, just a hand drawing.
Here is the Trickery's link to their replacement item:
http://www.thetrickery.com/?key=1099&nd=faqlist

Can anyone confirm that Mak Magic's Head Dagger Chest Illusion is completely (and forever) off the market?

I have sent an e-mail into Mak Magic but have received no response to date.

Many thanks.
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I have borrowed the Mak Magic Head Dagger Chest Illusion from a friend but unfortunately, he had no documents with insructions or suggestions for presentation or routining.

I realize it's pretty self-explicit, but I would still value having a set of instructions for reference as I figure out the best way to assemble and present this effect.

Should anyone have the original instructions and routine for MAK Magic's Head Dagger Chest, I would greatly appreciate receiving a copy.

Let me know by PM and I will send you my mailing address since it is unlikely that an electronic version of this effect is available for sending.

I've tried contacting Mak Magic via their site and to date have received no response.

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2005-08-31 09:32, jlevey wrote:
Dear Lou,

Can you please post a link that directs us to a photo or more info on the Chest of Nefertari? In your opinion, What is the price range? Why is it better than the Head Dagger Illusion and Arrowhead or Tilford's "Spikes"?

Jonathan,

The Chest of Nefertari is an illusion plan in the Paul Osborne Illusion System Vol. 1 book. I just made one for myself years ago. I am still using it till now. I did not include the stand, just the box itself. The size is much bigger than the other dagger chests. Thus, it is more visible when the head disappears. It is best performed with a spotlight. It is not ideal in an outdoor situation because the mirrors will be obvious. I guess this goes the same with the black art principle like arrowhead. I use this illusion with a volunteer. It will fit the largest of heads that's why I always get an extra large man for this.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for the detailed info Lou.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22771 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have the Mak-Magic Murder Inc. Dagger Head Chest. Of the models available on the market. I think it is the best available. Abbott's Magic had a very poor Dagger head Chest that only came with cut out daggers that did not have the complete blades. Half of the blade is missing and they put red paint on the ends. I guess you are suppose to think the rest of the blade is in the invisible head. The black art principle is very poor. The box is over size as well.

Murder Inc. only comes with instructions for assembly if you want to take it completely apart and an out line routine. In America the bigger and more expensive the trick the less instructions you get with the apparatus.

I like to not use the stand at all. I put the knives on a separate stand and not on top of the chest. I then have the assistant hold the chest buttom front and it rest on her shoulders at the rear. The paint job is excellent. Due to the design of the chest and sliding doors, the Chest with knives in it looks great and 'yes' it does get good audience reaction.

PM me if interested in purchasing my Murder Inc., I have it for sale.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best Dagger Chest (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL