The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best Dagger Chest (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Dear Bill,

Very helpful and encouraging response.

Many thanks.

Sincerely,

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
Hello
I have built the chest of Nefertari and it gets a great response every time.But it is not a Sunday afternoon project as the OSBORNE plans say.Many small details are left out.

Richard
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Regarding Murder Inc.'s "cheesy" flame paint job... I find that it is deceptive. The flame on the front panel and those on the sides work together to hide the depth of the box. It looks more square and less elongated since it has the same design on all sides. That said, however, the flame design isn't my favorite decor.

I constructed three interchangeable "coverings" that I can add before a show by loosening the screws, placing the homemade panels on, and replacing the screws to hold them in place. It works like a charm and gives me options for different themes. I made sets with a pirate theme, a knight theme, and a generic "magic-y" stars and swirls design.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I have never net an illusion that its user could not modify for the better and Murder Inc. was one of them....

1. The daggers were cheesy at best -- aluminum siding at worst (OK maybe tent pegs.) Changed these to real daggers. You mnay need to strengthen the topside display fan mechanism against "flop" from the extra weight.

2. The "music stand" Holder apparently an economy move that had to go. First it would fall between the legs of the assistant or volunteer, making their seating or kneeling very uncomfortable -=- or revealing if in a skirt. Made a collapsible cantilever -- so legs could go under box -- put it on a wheeled platform (hollow to hold blades in transit) so it could roll around onto stage or performance area. (Good rollers that lock and unlock easily!)

3. A 2x12 soft wood board -- that as the blades come out -- can take a thrown stab and hold the dagger upright.

4. Think and work a routine that adds drama throughout -- more than blades in -- blades out -- look at me and bow.

I know my modification cost me more than the original prop - and are more to haul -- but now I have a solid prop and routine -- not just a manufactured magic replica piece. And I can use it with audience members instead of assistant (pre interview for claustrophobia please). A haul along a metal variable height stool for them to sit on which rolls out on the platform.

If you want comedy -- same rig -- but think "Migraine Cure."
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Many years ago...about 35 years, now that I think of it...I had a dagger chest that went on the head of an assistant or volunteer. What I liked about it is that the inside of the back piece had a design of verticle stripes...gray against black, I think. I'd slide it in first so they could see the design...then I'd slide in the front piece and engage the two hinged inside pieces that repeated the stripe pattern. Put the daggers through, open the box, and you'd see the blades and also the design. This trick is always a bit iffy because of the depth, but the pattern seemed to help that. Like an idiot, I traded it years ago for some other tricks, and have regretted it ever since. In looking to replace it, I bought an arrow cabinet with a fabric piece...but I'm not satisfied with it. And I've seen any number of dagger chests offered, Mak Magic, etc...but not the one I had. Don't even remember who manufactured it. Anybody know anything about this particular design that could help in my search?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
What don't you like about the "Arrow Cabinet"?
(Abbott's ARROW HEAD)

The Grant/MAK Torch Thru Head (I'm not sure of the actual name) is very deceptive. You can open the front door and the audience can see all the way through the box and observe you and the back of the actual performing area through a large opening in the back of the box. This one is really good!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have a Grant Torch to head I inherited. I will have to look at it again.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2023, Julie wrote:

The Grant/MAK Torch Thru Head (I'm not sure of the actual name)

That is the "Flaming Head Chest".
wizardmagic
View Profile
New user
Arizona
32 Posts

Profile of wizardmagic
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2004, MarkTripp wrote:
Arrowhead from Abbotts seems a better idea.

Packs flat, and the David Gin routine is EXCELLENT

I missed my Abbotts Arrowhead.I used it every show in the 1980's
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
If you haven't used both and evaluated the reactions from your audiences, it doesn't seem prudent to decide one over the other. The FLAMING HEAD CHEST is more baffling method-wise IMO (and you do not necessarily need to employ a flame).

If that proves to be the case, the ARROW HEAD "foldability" is a non-issue and you would still need to provide storage/transport for all those components that are necessary parts of ARROW HEAD.
The hygene of the secret part must be considered, too...
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
The Mak Magic "Murder Inc" can look amazing. I own this Paul Osborne redesign of the prop. That is just a "Murder Inc" on top but scenically redesigned.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pdfkf4i0n......4h&raw=1
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I purchased this illusion today and it came without instructions. It looks amazing but the swords will need some work. I have these gold balls on the pommel of each. Can anyone who has the instructions possibly PM them? I would really appreciate it.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2023, Chris Meece wrote:
I purchased this illusion today and it came without instructions. It looks amazing but the swords will need some work. I have these gold balls on the pommel of each. Can anyone who has the instructions possibly PM them? I would really appreciate it.

I have the instruction sheet for MAK Magic's "Murder Inc." dagger head chest. Is that the one you need ?
I PM'd you a link to download the instruction sheet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best Dagger Chest (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL