The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Eating Glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I always thought that this was a very dangurous stunt, but I was talked into doing it by a geek friend of mine and It turns out that it isn't. I wouldn't do it all of the time, but it really does freak people out.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
You know, I hear that russian roulette game can be fun too, if you don't kill yourself. So, you dodged a bullet by eating glass and not dying and now you think you know everything? I don't know who your 'friend' is that convinced you to eat glass because it's not dangerous, but this friend is wrong. If you don't know the work on glass eating....DON'T DO IT. The statement you made in your post shows to me that you and your friend have no idea what it's all about. Stay away from this stunt.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Thank you Todd! I cringed when I read his post. (Including the "Geek" reference.)
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Jnana
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jnana
I do very little glass eating, but still people who have never seen me do it talk as if I can eat the tops of bottles as I am drinking from them. I save this for when I really feel it will make the impression I want. Part of the reason is that Slim (HI Slim)highly suggested I should look into what the things I do, do to me. Thanks Slim, grown ups don't regrow teeth and dental work is very expensive.
When I feel blue I start to breath again
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Just an afterthought... At 70, I ought to be the poster-boy for NOT doing sideshow acts. I have many physical diabilities and I think most of them can be traced in some way to the lifestyle and acts. It turned out that "It CAN happen to me."
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
darkp0is3n
View Profile
New user
Texas
58 Posts

Profile of darkp0is3n
I have eaten glass before, it dosen't give me a thrill. Sure it freaks people out, but it dosen't give me a rush like some things do. And it is VERY dangerous, so I don't do at all really.
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Tomas Medina shows a great safe and tasty way to perform this on his new geek magic DVD. If you want to do this stunt, this is the way. Remember its not what your doing, its what your crowd thinks your doing that really matters. And remember its not worth hurting yourself just to get a reaction from people. You make a living from performing and its pretty hard to perform from a hospital bed or worse.

Be safe,
Dan
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
Although being a magician I feel that it's the effect that counts I still hate to see someone fake a sideshow stunt. I just feel that it's not fair to those who have spent the time to learn how to do it right. Although glass eating can be faked it reminds me of those collapsable swords that are around for sword swallowing. Basically takes something serious and makes it a joke. Just my $0.02
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Hey I'm not taking anything away from side show performers. There are some great ones out there and I love to watch em. But if you look back on the history of side shows you will find a lot of things that were faked and that didn't keep people from coming to watch.

Dan
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I would prefere to eat a Neilson bottle. LOL!

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
How does one's stomach handle glass?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Actually it doesn't! Glass is inert, and is not affected by any of the stomach's processes. In fact as with other inert materials, in some cases it can "hang up" and cause severe bowel impactions. No fun, I can assure you from personal experience. Unless the glass is chewed to powder size (Your dentist will love you!) it can cause damage through the whole digestive system. 'Way back then, eating bananas or sliced bread was thought to "insulate the stomach." Think for a bit, the bread Etc. is digested, the glass is still there...
I guess wanting to do this is a choice. but in my opinion you need to get a pretty good fee so that you can spread it out among the doctors.
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3351 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I never ate glass but I did acidentially swallow a steel ball bearing once. It seemed like I could feel it roll all the way down. After that experience I swallow only what digests.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
darkp0is3n
View Profile
New user
Texas
58 Posts

Profile of darkp0is3n
Lol, I swollowed a hole barbell one time, I had it in my mouth after takeing it out of my ear and I coughed and bye bye barbell, I felt the same experience a tickling pressure rolling all the way down my throat.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
When I was a kid I used to swallow Concord (rather large) grapes and bring them back up whole. This paid off for me later, in controlling all the muscles in my throat to the point that I could make a free passage through the sphinters clear to my stomach. It helped greatly when I started sword swallowing and regurgitating.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"Although being a magician I feel that it's the effect that counts I still hate to see someone fake a sideshow stunt. I just feel that it's not fair to those who have spent the time to learn how to do it right. Although glass eating can be faked it reminds me of those collapsable swords that are around for sword swallowing. Basically takes something serious and makes it a joke. Just my $0.02"

Is a question of 'fairness' worth the potential injury or death a human being? I don't think so, and am in good company with such 'late greats' as Eddie Joseph and Lester Lake.

In "Magic and Mysteries of India," Eddie describes both a real and fake method for inserting a stick into the eye socket. He recommends the fake method. As he states, "While you may substitute another trick, you may NOT substitute another EYE."

Japanese 'miracle workers' did a form of 'boiled alive' stunt that was not very spectacular, but risked severe scalding. Lester Lake performed a far more spectacular and uncanny version of being boiled alive that reduced real risk to a negligible level. Given the two methods, I would readily recommend Lester's method and not worry about 'fairness' to the Japanese miracle men who took the real risk.

Also, in theory, there are 'real' and 'fake' ways of getting out of handcuffs underwater. I've never heard of any intelligent performer trying to do it the 'real' way...including Houdini.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
darkp0is3n
View Profile
New user
Texas
58 Posts

Profile of darkp0is3n
I can keep food in the upper part of my throat and bring it back up but not very far back, it has freaked people out doing it with jewelry and **** that I keep in my mouth when I have no where else to hold it. I have allways wanted to learn how to control my throat muscles enough to regurgitate food but never put much thought into it, also I don't really want to choke and die at such a younge age.
MetalBender
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of MetalBender
It's along the same lines as spitting fire. You can use diesel fuel (believe it or not, despite the risk I know performers that do this) or you can salt grain alchohol and use that. While the grain alchohol is still not the safest thing ever, it's a lot safer than the diesel. When it comes to sideshow stunts, it's better to use your head. I "eat" glass on a regular basis because it is an effective stunt and it fits in well with my persona. I use Medina's method, because while I have heard the actual method to eat real glass, I also would rather not take the risk of shuffling off this mortal coil due to internal bleeding. Sure some people have gone to all the leangths to learn "The true way to do it" but at great personal risk, something not worth it to advance my carear one iota.
"Magic up close and personal, the way is should be."

http://www.DelusionMasters.com
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Come on give me a hint....how to eat glass...thats "tasty"!!
True-Gossiper
View Profile
New user
Gaia
27 Posts

Profile of True-Gossiper
Yeah, I wonder about this one too. Are those real glasses? Or something that looks like glass..
"I was the future.." TG, 2006
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Eating Glass (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL