The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Grading of effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

multiply
View Profile
Loyal user
England (Olde!)
202 Posts

Profile of multiply
Many of my recent purchasing decisions have been heavily influenced by the feedback/reviews on this forum - mainly becuase there are a large number of contributors here whose opinions I respect greatly.

Please pardon my presumption on this as I am a comparitively new member of this forum, but I do have a small suggestion when reviewing new routines: would it be possible to include a 'difficulty' grading? I know a few reviews have this, but it would be incredibly useful to have it as standard.

There seems to be a diverse range of abilities here, from 'occasional dabbler' to 'seriously experienced' (I consider myself somewhere in the middle) and when choosing an effect, it would be useful to know how much skill/sleight is involved.

Might I suggest a simple scale:

1. BEGINNER - Completely self-working - a monkey could do this.
2. AMATEUR - Pretty much self-working - minor skill/misdirection needed
3. INTERMEDIATE - A little sleight and/or misdirection needed
4. SKILLED - Ability and knowledge of sleights/forces/misdirection required
5. PRO - Highly dextrous in sleights, etc.

I know the above could be subjective but hey, that's another benefit of a forum like this - to debate/argue opinions.

The reason behind this suggestion is that some effects are pretty expensive and hobbyists may be persuaded to purchase something based on a glowing review, only to discover that the skills required to preform are well beyond their abilities. I note that a few online stores subscribe to such a grading system, but none of the major ones that are frequently mentioned here.

As well as assisting the Amateur in making a decision, this might also influence the Pro as they would be more likely to want a higher-grade illusion knowing it would be performed more exclusively.

Just a suggestion. Apologies if this has been suggested in the past, but if so there isn't much evidence of implementation. Smile
Gary B
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
Multiply,

Following Parliamentary Procedure: "I second your excellent motion."

I too am a newcomer to the Café; what a WONDERFUL forum!

However, I would go even further and (humbly) suggest that reviews on particular routines include information on whether the effect requires any significant setup and whether the performer finishes 'clean' at the close of the effect.

I am currently in the process of putting together an entire children's routine, and it would be most helpful to know which new effects might 'flow' out of others, and which ones would require a 'ditch' or setup prior to the next effect.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I THIRDLY support this motion too. I write reviews from time to time, and I'll remember to try to add this scale too. Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
MULTIPLY , WELL SAID WHAT A GREAT IDEA !!
Tophatter.
multiply
View Profile
Loyal user
England (Olde!)
202 Posts

Profile of multiply
Thanks for the positive feedback, guys.
When I first posted this the only response was the sound of the tumbleweed blowing around the 'Reply' box. Smile

Glad some of you found it constructive. I wasn't trying to step on toes - just an idea.
Gary B
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Grading of effects (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL