The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbits in Adult shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
Hi all,
I have 2 male lops (sooty and sweep) and I use 1 of them in my childrens act, using Practical Magic's ' Rabbit House'. It has a great routine for kids. I would like to add my rabbit to my adult 'cabaret' show, but I'm not sure of a routine that would work for adults. What do you use when you produce rabbits for adults? Any info would be great!

Thanks

James
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello James!

You have been a member of The Café forever and we seldom hear from you. You must be studying hard.

I think it is a real mistake to think that adults are any less likely to enjoy a live rabbit in a show than children do. Lucy and I use a live rabbit and a puppet rabbit in our adult stage show and not only do adults enjoy it, but they also don't seem to realize that the spotted one is not real!

Think of adult audiences as children that can write you good checks over and over for entertainment they like. We like it!

Bob
Magic By Sander

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
Hello Mr Sanders!

Yes I have just done my GCSE's and am just starting my A-levels so I have had a limited input over the last 6 months. Now I have my essays under control I will be able to ask and hopefully answer many more questions! (in between cleaning out the rabbit hutche of course!)

Any way, what you said is exactly what the Jeremy at Practical Magic said to me. He said the adult routine shouldn't be that much different from the children's routine, but I thought that the adults would cringe using the same routine for adults.

The 'rabbits house' illusion is basically a production box dressed as a house. What routine, and production method (not the secret of course) do you use in the adult show?

Thanks for your quick response!

Magic James

p.s: love the picture
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
James,

I wish I could say that we do something rare and exotic in our rabbit productions, but it's just classical stuff that wins audiences. We only use one rabbit but we produce her twice and the puppet once.

The big white rabbit (Max who is 13 pounds!) we first produce as a hanging load during a huge silk production. Lucy takes her off stage but comes back loaded with her again for the second production in the same set. Stage hands also wonder where we keep the other rabbit. (I'm too smart to own two at the same time! We have enough cages to clean.) Max likes the deal.

The puppet rabbit (Schultzy) is produced at the end of the show. In our sub trunk routine, Lucy ends up locked in the trunk. We get her out and take a bow to say good night. Schultzy, with Lucy's help and mischief, upstages me by waving "Good Night" from behind me. Of course, I never see him! (It's all in the bag!) The last laugh is always on the magician.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Bob has been a great help with rabbit productions.

I have been using the Mak's Bunny Box for my kids shows but have recently ordered Jack Gwynne's Rabbit Vanish (Die Box) to use in combination and also for adults. I'm not sure the Bunny Box will be a good production for adults but the Die Box should work well for them.
magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
Hi,
Thanks again for your replies. I think I will keep using the 'rabbit house' as my production method, but just not have the children's routine with it. The first part of my act is to music- so I could just use the house as a 'flashy production' at the end of the music. Putting a silk in the box, and the silk changing to the rabbit (with a bit of flash paper!)
Candini,- I was thinking of buying the Bunny Box but it was just more convenient getting hold of the rabbit house here in England.
Mr Sanders, does your rabbit cope with hot lighting and performance times etc. Is there any extra advice for performing with rabbits in 'hotel'/stage venues?

Thanks

Magic James
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
There are lots of ways to use a rabbit in adult shows. Most everyone, adults included, love those cute, furry critters.

Regan
Mister Mystery
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I agree that most adults are just like big kids when it comes to magic.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Magic can bring out the long-forgotten kid anyone.

And I believe that most magicians are some of the biggest kids of all.

Isn't that what makes magic so wonderful?

Regan
Mister Mystery
magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
Yes I see now that animals can make anyone go soft!
Do any of you have experience with rabbits on stage conditions- whats your advice?

Thanks

Magic James
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Magic James,

In answer to your comment "Mr Sanders, does your rabbit cope with hot lighting and performance times etc.- is there any extra advice for performing with rabbits in 'hotel'/stage venues?"

To begin with showtime, rabbits are nocturnal so that evenings are fine with them. That also makes them bad traveling partners. Doves go to sleep in the dark. Rabbits go shopping! They dig all night long in their cages while you are traveling. If you are a light sleeper, rabbits in your motel room will quickly become unwelcomed.

Stage lights and audiences? Most of the rabbits I have ever used very long became real "hams" and liked the attention. I never have had a heat problem in the theater with a rabbit.

There is one thing about rabbits I don't like and have found for decades to be consistant behavior. Rabbits will get into the habit over time of only allowing the same person to get them out of their cages. They will kick and bite at others. That is one reason why for years I only used the same rabbit for about two weeks. (The other reason was that I had an inexhaustable supply of $2 babies. I lived in Arkansas where PelFreeze is headquartered. They sell rabbits for meat.)

As far as using rabbits on stage, one other pointer I would give is to always position the bunny on a table or riser of some sort. It will restrict the area they will roam. (Don't give them the whole stage.) I have never had one jump down. (I have had them slide off backwards during productions by mistake in my younger days when I thought that faster magic was better magic. It was my fault, of course. Looking back, speed usually hurts the effectiveness of any production. It scatters the audiences' attention away from the actual effect result. If they are watching your feet and arms, they missed the animal produced.)

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have used rabbits on stage for years. They are very adaptable critters. Handle them gently and don't wait too long to produce them and they will be fine.

Bob is right on the money about the table. I have never had one to try and jump off. They are cautious when it comes to heights. Heat has never been a problem for my bunnies either, and I have performed in some hot places. (Air conditioners torn up, schools with cold-natured principals, etc...) Maybe some cold-blooded principals too? Smile

Give your bunny a treat just before and after the show. They will come to you and will be much easier to handle. Mine seems to know when it is showtime. I think after a good performance they deserve a treat anyway. Make sure you just treat them with really small amounts so it will remain a treat. Mine love oatmeal and it just takes a little bit to entice them to the cage door. My main bunny will usually come to me expecting his treat during a day of multiple shows.

The care of your bunny between shows is most important.

Hope this helps.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan's point about treats is a very valuable pointer. It is not only true of rabbits but birds, horses, goats, geese, or whatever animals are used in a act. Keep treats available to give them but keep them small. It only takes one match to start a forest fire. One small treat will get an animal's meaningful attention. (It works something like just one red rose!)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Good one Bob. I wish you had told me about the "One Red Rose" philosophy a long time ago. So much wisdom from this man!

:)

Regan
Mister Mystery
magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
Thank you very much for your advice.

I always have my 'rabbits house' on one of those felt card tables during my performance, once you have produced the rabbit were you saying that you usually let it roam around on the table for the rest of the performance, or just for a while so people can see him/her? I have never really managed to find a treat that my rabbits love. I tried some rabbit 'treats' from the pet shop but they didn't really take to them. They generally just like cabbage stalks. I always put a bit of hay at the bottom of the production box to make him feel a bit more at home.

Magic James
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Treats? Money is no object. We use corn ($4.25/50 lb. bag), horse feed oats ($6.50/50 lb. bag), milo ($4.50/50 lb. bag), grass (free), and even carrots ($11/ton). (Actually the horses like the carrots better than the rabbits do.) The rabbits prefer the dove's grain. Doves like milo better than corn but will refuse wheat.

Dobbie, our parrot likes sunflower seeds and fruit cake as a treat.

Of course, we have a pig that raids the dog feeder too. The pig, Henry (the ate), never appears on stage. He guards the yard and roots up the roses. He is in charge of finding the best nap spots. He has quite a collection. Henry is partial to grapes.

Something will motivate most of us!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
James,

I don't leave my bunny sitting on a table for the remainder of the show after he is produced, but he sits on a table for a short period of time. Sometimes if I bring him out for the kids after the show I may sit him on a table while I tell them all about magic bunnies.

Try some dried oatmeal and/or raisins and see if your bunny likes it. Go easy on the raisins or the raisins that come out the other end may liquify, if you get my drift.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy and I do leave the bunny out on her own quite a while. That is especially important in Lucy's "Tea Party" routine in which the bunny sits in a chair at a table to drink her tea with the goose while other things are going on on stage. She stays just fine. (Adults can't believe it. Kids have no problem!)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
To begin with showtime, rabbits are nocturnal so that evenings are fine with them.

Thanks Bob, I guess I never knew this:) I work nights so perhaps that is why my rabbit and I get along so well:)
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
"one other pointer I would give is to always position the bunny on a table"

Yikes Bob! I hope you didn't get that pointer from PelFreeze. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbits in Adult shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL