The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request:: A Word in a Million (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
THANK you for all the tips and advice, I drank it all in.

I was all set to do Unbelievalope (Jeff Kaylor) for a local talent show, but it kept going over the 4 minute mark. So the director kept asking me for a shorter routine. So I grabbed Word in a Million and performed it in rehearsal on the same day it came in the mail (thanks to this thread)

What I do.

1. Golf pencil idea
2. tape down the _____________ as Mark Mason suggests
3. I hand the book to a person who is sitting between two others (usually a man) men don't write "flowerly" if you tell em to write in big bold letters they do.
And I have them show their writing to the person on their left and right.

4. When I take the book back (since I am on stage) I drop the book down to their eye line and "show them the pages" and I walk the length of the entire stage making sure everyone can see the validity of the book.

5. THEN I begin to talk to the spectator and by now the book is away and I have what I want

Never once failed me.
I have done it 7 nights in a row and my finale is tonight!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of danster08
I just got this and think it is great! I am curious about the refills that Keith Atkinson mentioned earlier. If anyone knows that secret, please PM me, as I would like to get several more. I tried messaging him already and haven't heard back. Thanks!
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
http://danielleemagic.com/
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2016, danster08 wrote:
I just got this and think it is great! I am curious about the refills that Keith Atkinson mentioned earlier. If anyone knows that secret, please PM me, as I would like to get several more. I tried messaging him already and haven't heard back. Thanks!

Hi same question as the above, does anyone know where can I get refills? Thanks!
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Setsuna83 ~

Just sent you a PM in regards to refills....

allen
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Thank you!
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
While this is an old thread penguin are promoting this again.The late D Christian was spot on the material used is from 13 steps.I saw on another forum the creator saying it uses dif materials 21st stuff.Obviously he hasn't read 13 steps as it's the same material.Not c....n as he thinks.The dictionary idea is also in 13 steps too.So a lot of wheel re inventing.A better gimmick would be that green stuff and a gimmicked sharpie.Read 13 steps is all in there.Vivian st John's clip book test.As far as the peek let's open the book wide and show all diff pages !
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
Also, they still have'nt changed the advertising.

It cannot be used with 'Any' book........ Only books that have 'a certain property'.
453rob
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of 453rob
Hello all, I just received this today from Penguin Magic. $20.00US with free shipping to Canada. I watched the short video and followed Mason's instructions to secure the gimmick. The gimmick is well made, much better than the stuff you could get at the dollar store. The principle is old and probably fairly well known. What I like about this effect is that the spec has indeed a totally free choice of a word on any page. You don't need to fish or remember anything. You have to be careful that you don't show your p**k. Mason gives a tip on how to make that easier. I performed it for my wife and she caught my p**k. She told me though that she was really watching me. I have not practiced in front of a mirror. I think you can really fool lay people. It's all in the presentation. I use some kind of small dictionary that fits the gimmick exactly so the spec can stick on the post-it note anywhere they want. Not totally any book as mentioned earlier but lots of choices available. Love the effect and gimmick.
wil3923
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of wil3923
Yes, words in a million is surely a winner. But I should point out that the choice of the book is not wide enough. Although most of the ordinary dictionary works well, book publisher nowadays save their costs so the book is not suitable for the trick. You need to search for your expensive books or certain type of book in order to perform it. Anyway, this trick deserves my highest recommendation.
453rob
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of 453rob
Sorry Wil3923 but I disagree that the choice of books is not wide enough. You can go to any charity shop and buy any suitable book for a couple of bucks if not less.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 7, 2017, wil3923 wrote:
But I should point out that the choice of the book is not wide enough. Although most of the ordinary dictionary works well, book publisher nowadays save their costs so the book is not suitable for the trick. You need to search for your expensive books or certain type of book in order to perform it.

wil3923, What do you mean by, ..."the choice of the book is not wide enough"?... As long as you've acquired the gimmick, you can utilize any kind of book.

-allen

P.S. Welcome to The Magic Café.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
You can't utilse any kind of book....... the book you use, has to have 'something'.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Without giving anything away, let me clarify myself... As long as the book has a jacket cover and the gimmick, you can utilize any book.

-allen
salcioppa
View Profile
New user
Columbus, Ohio
59 Posts

Profile of salcioppa
Great thought, NM, about using this in conjunction with MOAB. I tried it and, after using the regular method, used the WIAM method and people were stunned. Since then I've done it at least a dozen times with equally good results. Great idea!
At a convention of mind readers, a man sees an attractive woman he'd like to meet. He walks up to her and says, "Hello! You're Susan. Who am I?"
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
I have the person fold the Post-it note as many times as they can making it as small as possible. I then ask if there is any way someone could look at it and determine their word. Their answer is, of course, "No." I then take it fom them, toss it in the air, catch it, and name their word. Everyone is astounded and wants to see it. I gladly let them examine the note to their heart's content as ALL heat is off the book and remains so.
Baz5535
View Profile
New user
Chigwell
20 Posts

Profile of Baz5535
I've just received this and was just wondering if anyone has tried it with a pocket size book with the special something? It would be good to carry it with you while doing a walk around. I've also got MOAB pocket edition and wondered if I could somehow use that.
Bob Tucker
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Bob Tucker
I have been using word in a million since 2015. It has stopped working. Can anyone pm me regarding how I can get refills? I love the trick
LarryD
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of LarryD
You can get refills of the gimmick directly from Mark Mason at JBMARKMASON@AOL.Com. He charges $12.00 plus postage(prioiry mail). I got a couple of additional refills a few days ago primarily to experiment with them as I've tried all of the suggestions except the golf pencil and haven't been able to get a result which is dark enough for me to read.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request:: A Word in a Million (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL