The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request:: A Word in a Million (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
431 Posts

Profile of daver
I've never had a problem reading WIAM and I've done it in most lighting situations imaginable, other than a really, really dark location... Even then, I don't think I'd be all that scared to do it because if there's enough light for someone to see words in the book to pick on, then there's enough light to do the effect...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Makes sense Dave.. Thanks a bunch, can't wait to put this one to work!
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1940 Posts

Profile of Platt
I have the Al Baker "Word in Thousands" version. Either this effect works or it doesn't. If it does, you've performed one of the cleanest pieces of mentalism possible. If it doesn't work, you need an out. Anyone who's done this regularly knows there is always a small chance for error.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I do not worry much about outs anymore with book tests. I do with card mentalism effects though.

I know WIAT effect Platt and either one of these I agree, they are some of the cleanest versions of mentalism I have ever seen.

Anyone disagree, check out Richard Osterlind's ETMMM volume 1 (I think). During the explanation of this "CLOSER," Jim Sisti commented on the audience reaction to this. You have to remember, this audience has a magician or two in it, and have seen tons and tons of effects. When I first saw Richard do this one, I was expecting something else. It pretty much knocked me out. And this is when I knew the method. I always try to watch it from a layman prospective however.

I know the WIAM but just do not have it yet. I like the setup and reset of this and all I need to know is what I have already discovered.

I will leave it at that. Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I finally received this. Its great! It passed wife test now I will put it to use Friday during strolling gig for trial.
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
I love "word in a million", it is simple , direct, and highly effective.
god for only a tenner its a real bargain, you could not make this as good as the one you get, - and why would you for this lowly price ? just buy it and enjoy!

steve
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
431 Posts

Profile of daver
In reading (again) the prior posts in this thread, someone asked how to talk around the need to write the word down. Two thoughts here that I've used and never been challenged on:

1) Write it so you can show it to others without the chance of me hearing it so they know the word you chose. (and putting the paper in the pocket throws off those who may know of or look for a CT or p**k)

2) I've told you to choose any word on any page without any restrictions. There have got to be (make up a number) words in this book, so write it down so you don't forget which one you chose. Now, show it to some others, and put the paper in your pocket (good reason to also stay away from a CT or p**k.)
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I use this effect as my book test in my stage shows. I love it. It is clean, direct, and simple and the book is totally ungimmicked which allows me to use different books. For instance, I use Dracula during a Halloween stage show, and A Christmas Story for Christmas shows. it's a really great prop and will even fool magicians.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3656 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I use a dictionary and a post it note. Its as clean as a whistle! Love it
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nice to see brainstorming here. I have now used it for my regular gig. My only dilemma was with the writing. Not so much the print but how clear the r*** was. I had to sneak off to do the dirty work. I have decided to have the spec use a pencil now instead of a pen. Perhaps a number #1 if a number #2 does not provide me with good results. I still love it and sneaking off to get a lighter and ashtray is not a real big issue but I would still like real time. People all write differently. Normally, I have no problem with their print. But you cannot exactly tell them to p**** when writing a word. With a biro pen, it already writes real dark and I need that for other effects. A pen that writes real light would be great in this effect. One running out of ink could be a disaster.

Out of all the times I used it the other night, one writing was really bad. It was letter on top of another letter so I devined the wrong name. CLose but no cigar. Now I know for most mentalism it is okay to be off a little and I even prefaced this before I did the BT but this was a wierd audience. Just did not have the POW like a miss usually does.

I like the dictionary idea! I have to find other books that are hardback and with a nonglossy cover.

PS: I have never had an issue with writing down things like so many do. I see it as a nonissue. I have never been asked and doubt I will, it seems logical and necessary. I want verification in my performances. We have proof. I can come up with so many other ideas. One is I want to burn it. Another is have them hold the paper in their hand and I hold their hand to reveal.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1940 Posts

Profile of Platt
I believe you need an out. A back-up plan. This is just not 100%. Even with the help of a small #3 pencil, it's about 80% in my experience. I think you can, without suspicion, ask the spectator to write neatly so everybody in the room can verify. I've also asked spec. to write down the page number. That can help tremendously if you can only make out the first couple of l*****s. Again, when this works, it's about as clean as mentalism gets.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I hear ya Platt. I inform them before hand that I may only get a few letters etc.
Tonight I was 100 pct on 4 specs. And the only one I missed by one letter. I said DANGER and she wrote DANCER. I need to do crossword puzzles. I should have gotten that one. The pencil is sooo much better though.

I tell them to write big and clear so they can see it big and clear in their mind. Tonight I examined a few of the stickys after the effect and one lady wrote real light with the pencil and it still came through fine.

THe bad thing about this effect is its hard to follow up with anything.

Also if you have a lukewarm response after this one, best to move on. The spectator is dead.
LukeB
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of LukeB
Guys there is another application for the gimmick that no one has mentioned.
mimo67
View Profile
Veteran user
France
316 Posts

Profile of mimo67
Interesting LukeB, and that application would be... ?
PM me please if you can't write it here without exposure... Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-07-09 07:20, LukeB wrote:

I am pretty sure I know what it is but if I am wrong, that will make three uses. Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
[quote]On 2008-07-09 10:19, Candin wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-09 07:20, LukeB wrote:

I am pretty sure I know what it is but if I am wrong, that will make three uses. Smile
Open forum though.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I changed my mind, WIAM is garbage. Please do not buy it. Not 100 percent (like anything is):)

Selfish Performer
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I used this for preshow at a gig Saturday. After the show was over I was talking with some of the people and when I turned around, the lady who I performed this for was reading and browsing through the WIAM book!

I was more surprised then worried. Its just so unbelievable she had to see and feel the book again. Of course it is just a normal book and she did not see anything:)

I do not use it stand alone but part of an impossible, unforgetable mind reading routine involving several spectators. I love you all but please no PMs about the routine, you do understand now. Smile
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2093 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

Has anyone seen "The Any Page Any Word Book Test"? Here's the link: http://www.pubtricks.com/video-pub-anypageanyword-trick.html

It appears to be the same as WIAM. Does anyone have both and can say if there are different methods being used or is this just a rip-off of WIAM?

Regards, Steve
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Looks like the same thing, if it is, what a rip and he doesn't even give you the gimmick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request:: A Word in a Million (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL