The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Expert Card Technique" by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Has anyone have this book? Can someone give me some comments on this book?
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Thousands have it . . . to highly recommend it is a no-brainer.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Yes, originally printed in the 40's but there are all kinds of reprints available. Hugard & Braue did a lot of things together. Royal Road to Card Magic is another good book to have if you are interested in cards. Again, Royal Road is from the 40's and many reprints of it are available.
Smile
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Buy it. It's cheap and great. What more could you ask for?
bgoodwin
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bgoodwin
For me, "Expert Card Technique" is one of the greatest books on card magic ever written. It inspires me every time I re-read it. I envy the fact that you get to learn everything in it for the first time.
Bill Goodwin
ninja
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of ninja
Quote:
On 2002-08-25 23:11, bgoodwin wrote:
For me, "Expert Card Technique" is one of the greatest books on card magic ever written. It inspires me every time I re-read it. I envy the fact that you get to learn everything in it for the first time.
Bill Goodwin

I STRONGLY recommend that anyone who is reading this right now will master Royal Road first before doing the stuff in this book.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
I have this book, just bought it actually, would someone mind giving me their favourite pages in the book. The best routines and tricks and sleights. I haven't had much time to look thru it though! Smile

Cheers,

Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Quote:
On 2002-08-25 19:09, RandyWakeman wrote:
Thousands have it . . . to highly recommend it is a no-brainer.

What do you mean?
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
It means that to highly recommend it, is an action that doesn't require a brain.

That's what 'no-brainer' means, to do something that is common sense and doesn't require a brain.

Cheers,

Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
ninja
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of ninja
To recommend this book would be like recommending someone to drink water on a daily basis.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Quote:
On 2002-08-25 19:05, limhanchung wrote:
Has anyone have this book? Can someone give me some comments on this book?

While it is enough for our experienced card magicians to say "buy this book!", maybe a brief description of its contents will help you. In the US, and consequently also available through internet dealers, the book has been published in a Dover edition for $9.95 US. It is an "unabridged republication of the 1940 edition." There is another edition of the book which includes extra chapters by Dai Vernon and the reknown Dr. Jacob Daley. Unfortunately, these chapters are missing in the Dover edition.

Hugard and Braue's "Expert Card Technique" is a compendium of sleight of hand with playing cards. It covers a vast range of topics, from lifts and shuffling, to forcing and the use of gaffed cards.

The recommendation to study the authors' "Royal Road to Card Magic" first, is sound. Both of these books are companions to Hugard's "Encyclopedia of Card Tricks," also available in inexpensive Dover softbound editions.

Best of luck. I hope this helps. Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Hugard and Braue bear the unique distinction of actually sitting on the shelves at Barnes and Noble. Expert Card Technique sits there now, right next to Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.

If you start reading the works of other magicians, everyone from Paul Harris, to Guy Hollingworth will defer issues of technique to this book, and it is the most referred-to text in my libary.

The Expert at the card Table may as well be in reach as well.

--Ron Smile
MagicSponge
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of MagicSponge
Hi,
I highly agree with everything that everyone here has said so far.
It is true, Expert Card Technique is definitely a classic, and in my opinion one of the better books on card magic ever published. I reccomend it to ANYBODY, whether it is a beginner, or seasoned professional. Expert Card Technique is one of those books that doesn't get old. There is so much great material in it.
If you get Expert Card Technique, I would also suggest (as previously mentioned) Royal Road To Card Magic. I feel it to be more of a basic book, however, I still consider it to be one of the greatest I owne. There is tons of great stuff, and I guarantee you that you can fry just about any magician who has not read the book with the routines in it. I have seen Lee Asher fool many magicians (including myself!) with basic routines from Royal Road to Card Magic. For what it is worth, I feel that 'Mind Mirror' and its principles are worth the price of the book, however, there are tons of other great classic effect in it.
Another book to check out is my personal all time favorite, The Expert at the Card Table (I would, however, reccomend Dai Vernon's Revelations or Darwin Ortiz's Annotated Erdnase since they contain the material in this book with great additional notes.)

There are so many great books in the world of magic, but it seems like there are even fewer which can be reread dozens of times and never get old. The three books I just mentioned (and all books have been mentioned in previous posts) are what I consider to be some of the greatest books on the art of magic and sleight of hand ever published. I know that I am very fortunate to own these books, and I would hope that you all feel the same way, afterall, these books (among many others) are the groundwork of much card magic.

I wish you all the best in magic,
Sincerely,
Doug-the magic sponge
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
I don't particularly like it. A lot of the diagrams do not match with technique being described. They mention holding the packet with the left hand and there's a picture of a right hand holding the deck. Most confusing. I think that photo illustrations work much better. I have learnt my greatest amount from DVDs.

PT
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
258 Posts

Profile of Shikina
I recently "discovered" this book despite performing card magic for over 12 years. I guess I learned my skills by jumping straight into the hard stuff (smoke and mirrors was my first book!) That said, I have found reading this book to be inspiring. I have already taken more from this book in a few casual readings than I have from many a 3 dvd set purchased at ten times the price. Its worth remembering that excellent card magic existed long before chat forums, auctions, and agressive marketing/packaging. I would even hazard a guess that I could perform a lot of material from this book on my magician friends, and not only awe them, but convince them that this was some new "revolutionary" material ta boot. If you would like to discuss specific moves or tricks, PM me. I'd be happy to chat at length about it.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I reccomend this book. There are TONS of material presented there, however it can be a little difficult to understand at times. You may have to re-read several times before you understand what is being explained. It is fairly cheap. I found a copy at amazon.com for about $7.00 new. It is worth adding to your library to have on hands for a quick reference.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Is ECT available as a hardback?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
ECT can be a tough read at times but it's a must have for card work.
NCR
View Profile
New user
Northfield Mount Hermon, MA
61 Posts

Profile of NCR
ECT is a great book. It contains what I consider to be the best pass in card magic(the invisible turnover pass) and it's explained very clearly. It can be hard to read, but it's worth it.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2002-08-26 16:23, Victor Brisbin wrote:
There is another edition of the book which includes extra chapters by Dai Vernon and the reknown Dr. Jacob Daley. Unfortunately, these chapters are missing in the Dover edition.

I have the Third Edition, which includes the aforementioned extra chapters. Dai Vernon contributed about fifteen pages of miscellaneous items, and Dr. Daley included a chapter on the side steal (actually different handlings of the side steal palm). It is interesting material, but not indispensable.

Quote:
On 2002-08-26 16:23, Victor Brisbin wrote:
The recommendation to study the authors' "Royal Road to Card Magic" first, is sound. Both of these books are companions to Hugard's "Encyclopedia of Card Tricks," also available in inexpensive Dover softbound editions.

Since the publication of Card College, it has been difficult to recommend the Royal Road (or even ECT, for that matter), as the Hugard sources are outdated for many sleights. It would be better to study Card College thoroughly to learn the best handlings first, and then go back to the earlier manuscripts for what they have to offer. This way you get the full benefit of the historic sources without learning bad or outdated habits from them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Expert Card Technique" by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL