The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Best breeds of doves... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
My doves have been a solid piece in my current show;however, they seem to be a lot bigger in size than doves I've seen in pro-acts such as Frewin, Byrne, and Burton... Is there a prefered breed of dove? I wonder if the local breeders are mixing breeds to increase the amount of their productivity? Thanks for the help guys/gals... Bryan
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
446 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I have always used ringnecks in my act. In my experience, some birds are just bigger than others. Every other dove magician I have ever met also uses ringnecks... Though I would suggest just looking around for the size of bird you are looking for reguardless of breed. Hope this helps.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
When dealing with ringnecks, sometimes you will find that you have a small piegon from what I have been told. Do you keep them on a strict diet with excercise? What are you feeding them?

I don't have a problem with size, but I do have a problem with the female's staying clean. For some reason mine think that they are pigs!

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I use plain white garden variety doves... sorry, don't know their proper name.
Handled properly, white doves seem to appear in a flash and look larger in size with good lighting.

Regards,
Kregg
POOF!
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
They may be white pigeons or maybe you just feed them very well.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
I use Barbary doves. I haven't really looked into anything else. What's the difference from ringnecks?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ringnecks are the same species dove as the Java Whites. The only real difference is color. The females usually are said to have black eyes. Some people claim that they are easier to sex because there is a difference in the toes between males and females and that the males tend to have a reddish eye. (In my four decades with them, experience does not allow me to believe any of that at all.)

The color difference is the only true factor I can agree with. The color is very much like wild mourning doves. However, ringnecks have a rounded tail and wild mourning doves have a very distinctive pointed tail. Both are fawn colored. Ringnecks have a black collar that gives them their name.

Being in the same species is significant because that means that they can be crossbred with each other. Whites, pieds (spotted), and ringnecks can all breed together. None will breed with pigeons. Pigeons are very different. Once you spend some time with the different types of birds, confusing a pigeon with a dove will be as likely as confusing a turtle with a gold fish.

However, here in the USA most people don't know the difference between doves and pigeons. Therefore they spend money at weddings etc. for a "dove release". Doves have extremely poor homing instincts. Pigeons can find their way home. So white pigeons are what are used in "dove releases". That also explains why many decorator items for weddings are copied after pigeons not doves.

Remember that we were discovered by accident by Columbus who was lost on his way to India. Therefore, Native Americans are called "Indians". Why wouldn't we be the same with doves and pigeons? (We also use "public school" and "education" in the same sentence. Whatever relationship there might have been must have been lost many decades ago.)

The only reasons for using doves instead of pigeons are size and that a dove's tail has more range of motion downward and can be nearly "rolled" or folded into a load chamber where a pigeon could not go. Pigeons are cheaper.

The important part is what the audience sees. Do the birds make it a better show?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
I have one ringneck and one all white (java) dove.

Ben
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ben,

Assuming one of your doves is male and the other female (no exceptions, PLEASE!), they can be successful at raising young doves. The new doves will be lighter colored with a black collar, dark eyes, and dark beak. If you have a friend with white doves, the mixed birds will set those eggs in place of their own and you would have some unrelated white doves. This is just like a successful rain dance, timing is everything.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Best breeds of doves... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL