We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound Systems Revisited (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Sound systems are indeed a matter of personal preference. And certainly no single system will match the requirements of every performer. There is generally a balance to strike somewhere between clarity, volume, size and price. All are important.

The Fender Passport system does indeed fit the bill for many performers. I have never owned one, but I have used the one our church owns on several occasions. It does a nice job for the size and money. And if my shows start to grow in size, I would definitely look into purchasing one.

What I did purchase was the Sekaku PAS 767 Portable Sound System. You’ve probably seen them advertised in the back of one of your magic magazines. Two performers, whom I respect and trust, recommended the system. So decided to check it out myself.

It only weighs a couple of pounds and is only 8" X 9" X 6.5". It comes with a built in wireless microphone with attachment for a lapel and headset. The lapel is really not very good, but the headset does a nice job.

You may be thinking what I was about this time. How much clear volume can you get out of this little "toy". A Lot! Wow. I turned it on and filled my house with sound with the volume almost off. And my living room is 24’ X 26’ with a 13’ vaulted ceiling.

The literature claimed "As many as 500 kids have been packed into cafeterias and auditoriums and this little system does the job." I haven’t used it for that many people yet, but I feel certain that it would work.

Now the price is a bit high. This system prices out at $389. (Honestly I paid a lot, lot less than that, but that was a one time deal, I’m sure). Still, you get a nice system that will give you ample clear volume for smaller venues, provides wireless mic, and is about the size and weight of a toaster. If interested, you should certainly try to negotiate a sizeable discount. I’m fairly sure there is room for negotiation. Smile

Scott O.

Levitating somewhere over Wisconsin
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I know it is a healthy sum, but $389 for a sound system is far from expensive! Actually, it's fairly cheap (cheap enough that I'm not sure I would trust it, actually).

I'd expect to pay $300-800 for a good wireless microphone alone, before even getting to the rest of the system...

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Well . . .yes, in the scheme of things it is not the most expensive sound system available. It is what it is (how profound) small, light, clear sound that has served me well for smaller groups. That’s why I own it, and trust it.

But as I said, when you see the size, you really will think it is high priced at $389. And I think it is too. Double the price if you can, and get the small Fender self-contained system.

Or course, then you still need to get a good wireless mic. And as Andy inferred, they aren’t cheap either.

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I need sound reinforcement that doesn't take-up much space, considering the venues that I perform in. I use a Crate Limo amp, a speaker stand and a wired hyper-cardoid mike (a Sennheisser 845s, with a Gim-Crack holder). I like it because the entire set-up is powered by its internal battery and it has a 50W output.

I gave-up on wireless mikes because they became obsolete almost as soon as I bought them -- the channels had too much interference.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
That's the problem with the less expensive wireless mics--they are set on one frequency, and if you get interference on them, you're stuck. Most modern ones, even as cheap as $500 or so now, are in the UHF band, which has less interference, and are able to be set on any one of a number of frequencies. These frequency agile mics allow you to find a frequency that's open almost anywhere; on a show I sound designed/engineered last weekend, we were running 10 wireless mic channels right next door to the national tour of "Guys and Dolls", which is running 28 or so, and we were able to work around each other, tv channels, and other sources of potential interference with no troubles at all. Any mic that won't let you do this is also going to cause troubles in other ways, because the components are much cheaper and just plain out don't sound as good :o1

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
I'm looking at the Anchor Liberty system as well as the Fender Passport 250.

I'm seeking a flexible system that can provide low levels of speech-only amplification -- in close-up or trade show environments -- as well as good music and speech amplification for banquet or meeting audiences of several hundred people. I also want to ensure compatibility with a future MiniTech purchase, if and when I am able to do that.

I'd like to hear any comments on these systems or others that might suit my needs.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Joe, I did a little research and reading in this area and asked a friend who knew about this stuff.

He recommended the Fender Passort 250, and I bought it. I was assured that it was far more powerful than I would ever need for magic. It is the right system for halls of several hundred people and loud enough to be heard over background noises. It is supposely great for a small three piece band and singer.

I can't speak on MiniTech.

It sounds like this system may be for you. It is definately not for small Birthday Parties. I have blasted my house out with 250 watts. The books say Radio Shack's 100 watts PA Amp, works well for school shows.

"The Banquet Magicians' Handbook" by David Charvet was who I first turned to. He recommended the Fender 100, an older model of this one.

Unfortunately, I have not tried this in a large area, because I just got it.
Dennis Michael
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Actually, I was leaning toward an Anchor Liberty system. The touring show I helped produce last summer used them and they seemed very durable and easy to expand. There are package deals which include microphones, etc., which are another major but necessary expense.

I know one local magician who has a Passport 150 and he is selling it to get an Anchor Liberty.

It may come down to the $$$, though. Gotta eat.

Thanks for your help!

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have and use the Passport 500. It works VERY well for me--I've used it for audiences of over 1500. I was able to get them at wholesale (about $600)--may still be able to if anyone's interested, although shipping would be a pain in the wazzoo.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Here's a quick update on my Sekaku 767. I've had it for over 4 years now, and have used it countless times in shows. In fact, it goes to every show I do. For smaller shows it still works perfectly. But I have even used it in gymnasiums for audiences of a couple hundred. It puts out plenty of clear sound. And it fits inside my Lefler table. So, even if the big system doesn't work (which has happened) I have my little Sekaku to fall back on.

Scott Smile.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Scott,
Can you play music through this system?

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I recently purchased the Pyle Pro PWMA 120.Up to 150 watts(has treble and bass controls and sounds great).Has a built in removable and rechargeable battery.Also a built in cassette player.It came with 3 wireless mics(handheld,headset,lapel).Has jacks for other audio,wired mic,extra speaker,and earphone.Comes with a die-cut carry case with shoulder strap.Unit weighs only 12 lbs and is fully operational while in the case.I am totally pleased with this system for my needs.And the price is right!Best.

Rich
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
Rich, I agree with you. I just purchased the Pyle Pro. I have yet to use it in a show. I just tested it out at home and am very impressed with it. The price is right, plus you can hook and external CD player up to it.
Dan
The Magic of Dan
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
DanD:Glad to see you were finally successful in getting one of these systems.I am so glad I did extensive to narrow my choice down to this system.Talk about travelling lite with power WOW.All the best. Rich
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Quote:
On 2006-01-31 15:37, Tony S wrote:
Scott,
Can you play music through this system?

Tony

Yes you can. Although it is really designed for voice. It has one input (besides the wireless mic). I have plugged in an external audio source for music. If you adjust the input volume correctly, it works fine. Again, this is really for the smaller show though. So in those cases, I use the Sekaku and a boombox.

Scott Smile.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Hey, I just went out and took a look at the Pyle Pro system that PaleoMagi and Magic of Dan purchased. For the money, if it sounds good and is reliable, I go that route. For $119 you're getting 2 wireless mics, and a battery operated sound system that you can pack in suitecase table. Oh, yeah-- and a cassette deck. That could be handy for recording your show.

Pyle Pro has a larger unit Pyle Pro (PWMA230) 200W VHF Wireless Battery Powered PA System that doen't have all the bells and whistles (only a hand-held wireless mic and no cassette deck), but it looks pretty good at only $107. I have no idea what it sounds like though. But there are some inexpensive alternatives available to those looking to go that route.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
This sounds pretty cheap for all of that! Is there a good warranty? I am interested in the Pyle System myself.

Here is my main concern...a lot of these little system has bad problems with the wireless mic. cutting in and out during the show. There are also feedback problems. Will thing handle a school group in a gym with 500 kids? I've heard of systems with 20 watts that will handle 500 and system with 100 watts that won't.

Does the Pyle systems come with wireless headset mics?
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Todd,

I only know what I read on a web site about the Pyle Pro systems. There is another thread at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=11 where this system was first mentioned. One of the links there mentioned http://www.teptronics.com as a source.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
I have both a Fender Passport 250 and a small Anchor unit. Use the Fender with a hard wired mic for larger shows with music and/or a larger venue. Easy to troupe with and works like a charm. I like the auto fade feature.
I also tour with a small Anchor unit with a Shure wireless lapel mic. It is a workhorse. Lightweight, durable and a power house. No problem for groups of even 300 or so. Have toured with it for over two years with no problems. Anchor is top notch...well worth what some may consider to be an expensive unit.
The Anchor Liberty that Joe M. Turner asked about is a step up (I believe) in size and power from what I have. All I can say is that for easy transport, quality, and power...Anchor is hard to beat.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Just notice the date on Joe M. Turners post. Yeah, I'm behind the times, but what I posted still holds true for anyone interested.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound Systems Revisited (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL