The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cheap Collapsible Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a cheap collapsible table (and not a waiters tray stand). Anyone know where to get one? Cheers

Chris
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Part 2 of the art of Smile has my table on it.....cstreet, this is a good dvd.....trust me.

koz
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I have watched the art of vol.1 and this is where I have the idea from. I just don't know where to buy one from. And I certainly don't want to spend another $30 trying to find out where to buy one.

Chris
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations cstreet,

In the printing business there is an axiom which I'm sure applies to any number of situations given a bit of tweaking:

"You can have it done cheap, you can have it done fast, or you can have it done well. Pick any two."

The only collapsible tables I've seen are relatively expensive ($250-plus). If they weren't expensive everyone would have one. You can have cheap or you can have done well, most of the stuff I've run across in this realm is one or the other, not both.

Me, I use a waiter tray stand and a top finished in the usual fashion as described by an number of sources. Total cost about $50. It don't get much cheaper than that.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen, have an interesting life!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
... 'Wow! What a ride!'"
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
What is your opposition to a waiter's tray stand? Is it too tall or bothersome to carry around? What is a commercial example of what you are looking for?
Jim
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I use a keyboard stand....it's adjustable and just attach a table top to it with bungies. I also have a table servant attached to the table that I load from.
koz
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Jim, I don't have anything against the waiters tray stand, I was just establishing what I meant when I said that I was after a collapsible table - I was trying to describe a table that folds up which isn't a waiters tray stand.

Also, Joe, I love the quote.

Have a great ride,

Chris
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
What you're looking for is a Harbin style table. Cheap? Not on the coldest day in Hell, my friend. Also, darn difficult to find good ones. There are a few out on the market. Collector's Workshop has a plexiglass one, Hocus Pocus carries one as well. They're too small to do cups and balls on and very shaky. If you're looking at them for that purpose you are better off with a tray jack stand.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
I really like the instand computer table with the larger (12x18) table top.

http://www.instand.com

It's light, very compact, and pretty strong, (it's made to hold a laptop) however it's not cheap. I wouldn't use it for cups and balls, (too small) but I use it for everything else. When it's collapsed, it will fit in my bag in case I need it.

Joe
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
There's a magician out here who uses a microphone stand base that is screwed into some type of small table. He must have rigged the table top himself. Too small for cups and balls, but he does do a chop cup routine on it, as well as cards of course. He works close up not circle shows.
He carries his whole act around in a duffle bag, including the table, which screws apart.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Cheers Mark, that helps a lot.

James, I have something similar to what you are talking about, but it is a Eureka Table Base. Could this be what you were talking about with the microphone-stand base?

Chris
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Chris,
No, the microphone stand doesn't have three jutting legs, but, rather is just a disk-like base that is rather heavy. The weight of this circular base is what gives the table stability.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Chris,

Hank Lee has an 'Appearing Table' for about $150.00
It say's
The Appearing Table folds down to 15 inches long, so you can easily carry it in your close up case.

You can check it out at
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=1

Maybe this is what you are looking for.

hope this helps
kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I have a "Russian Table" based on a design by Harbin that folds up smaller and thinner than a magazine. It unfolds as if by magic and is great for card tricks and things of that nature. You could not do cups and balls on it though.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kayo_City
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland
59 Posts

Profile of Kayo_City
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 14:49, tedb wrote:
I use a keyboard stand....it's adjustable and just attach a table top to it with bungies. I also have a table servant attached to the table that I load from.
koz

And I thought I was the only one!

I made mine the same way!

I made my table top from a bread tray which I covered in a cushion material and then covered it in green baise.

Plus I get more sadisfaction out of using somthing I made myself!
That's all i have to say about that!
City Livin'
K.O Style
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-10-20 10:10, Danny Hustle wrote:
I have a "Russian Table" based on a design by Harbin that folds up smaller and thinner than a magazine. It unfolds as if by magic and is great for card tricks and things of that nature. You could not do cups and balls on it though.

Best,

Dan-

CStreet, This table is the one Cellini uses in volume one. It is not cheap though. I think I paid around $300 for mine.

You can find cheap, wooden, Harbin style, made in India, tables on eBay for around 50 bucks.

They are the same idea as the metal table but a bit thicker because of the wood. You will probably want to paint it as well (They have those garish colors that a lot of magic tables have). You will want to replace the screws as they are not very well made.

But with a little work it could be just what you need.

The Harbin style is the table you are talking about. If you ask around the magic shops for that style you also might find a deal.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
shiggity fliggity the magic man
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of shiggity fliggity the magic man
My friend and I found a compact foldable table for magic. We bought a backgammon board for about 5 bucks and we're going to go down to home depot and get 5 in legs with hinges that can attach to the bottom of the board its about 1 and a half feet by 1 foot when outstretched but folds in half its pretty good we could put cards inside the board and the legs in a backpack and wen we set up put a cloth over the wholething.....any pros or con with this plan. If so tell me I need them. All around the table wil cost about 15-20 bucks so post back with ideas.
thanks
- shiggity fliggity the magic man
"love never dies of starvation but often of indigestion"
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Get a cymbal stand from a music store.

Attach the flange to a piece of plywood.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Zack, I am looking for something similar to Danny Hustle's description of a collapsible table, but cheers for the idea anyway.

Chris
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Chris,

If you are handy there is a book on building tables called the table book I believe over at Abbott's magic.

If memory serves (I am setting the way back machine to around 1982) the Harbin design is in there.

Best,

Dan-

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cheap Collapsible Table (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL