The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Help with a Halloween show (12 & under) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MacyMagician
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of MacyMagician
Hi. My name is Callie and my husband is a magician and I am his assistant. We have a show coming up this weekend for a Halloween party and are looking for ideas that would be appropriate for ages 12 and under....any suggestions? The tricks we are planning on using are torch through arm, a mirror production box, silkola, mail bag escape, newspaper break away, d'lites and lite flight. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Of course you are using the d-lites as a visual means of capturing the sprites and spirits that are moving about on that night, once cpatured they are placed into a box or other container, (have you ever seen the pressed fairy book, I thinkit would make a grand coloring book......) What about animating a broom, the little costume ones that look like the old besom brooms, could either be an HP item, or the Dukas apprentice broom come to life.
Be sure to look into those scary story sets for the young teens like the goosebumps set, and find some effects that fit the stories!
have fun!

kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of jasper
This Halloween I am doing an gorby effect very similar to that off Banachek's dvd.

I have a ghost drawn on a piece of card which I show to every one as my real ghost helper is very shy. I have some one write a word on the ghost head and fold up the card. So now the word is known only by the child and my ghost helper. The ghost will work in the dark so I cover a paper and pencil with a cloth (the gorby) and the ghost is seen to write the word under the cloth!

I also do a stage version of The Web with a huge spider on to a spectators back. (I make this fun not scary as phobias are very real)

Hope this helps at all!
Jasper
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Dress 'ala Hogwarts.'
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
MacyMagician
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of MacyMagician
Great ideas guys! Thanks! Now lets try this...any ideas for skewered double (two swords through stock)?
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
You may want to rethink the torch thru arm. We once did a Halloween magic show for a group of kids 7-12 yrs old. One of the performers did the "arm chopper".
The kids loved it, but several parents complained and one actually wrote in to the local paper complaining.
At least use a disclaimer...."kids don't try this at home...etc." Just a thought.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-10-21 17:45, mrmysticmike wrote:
You may want to rethink the torch thru arm. We once did a Halloween magic show for a group of kids 7-12 yrs old. One of the performers did the "arm chopper".
The kids loved it, but several parents complained and one actually wrote in to the local paper complaining.
At least use a disclaimer...."kids don't try this at home...etc." Just a thought.

Not to jump on the bandwagon here, but I do agree with this statement. I would be careful of doing any effect that could be interpreted as dangerous, if performing a show specifically for kids.

I am not criticizing your idea by any means; you may have it routined in a manner where this post is not valid. But as a word of caution, think about it.
Jim
MacyMagician
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of MacyMagician
Yeah, we did have an issue like that once! So needless to say we always make sure to ask the parents in the very beginning now! And always say "don't try this at home..."
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Ammar's "Billy the Hypnotized Balloon" from The Magic of Michael Ammar, done as a demonstration of how dangerous it is to try that "actupuncture stuff" you see on TV and in Chinese martial arts movies...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2004-10-21 17:54, Jim Wilder wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-21 17:45, mrmysticmike wrote:

Not to jump on the bandwagon here, but I do agree with this statement. I would be careful of doing any effect that could be interpreted as dangerous, if performing a show specifically for kids.

Ok, I agree for really young kids. But 12 years old? Either the parents are babying their kids or the kids are dumb. Frankly I believe the former not the latter, being a parent myself. But a warning would help I suppose. Reminds me of a great George Carlin essay....

BTW, I saw the arm chopper as a young kid and I wasn't scarred for life....well, not that much anyway.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-10-23 13:41, Clifford the Red wrote:
Ok, I agree for really young kids. But 12 years old? Either the parents are babying their kids or the kids are dumb. Frankly I believe the former not the latter, being a parent myself. But a warning would help I suppose. Reminds me of a great George Carlin essay....

BTW, I saw the arm chopper as a young kid and I wasn't scarred for life....well, not that much anyway.

I certainly appreciate what you are saying and agree to a point (also I understand your humorous tone at the end of your post) Smile. However, as a school teacher of 10 year olds, I also come in contact with plenty of 12-18 year olds. And some of their parents I would not trust watching such a routine. Clifford, you and I were blessed with a good thinker, which is much more than I can say for many adults I know and come in contact with.

As well I think it is responsible judgement for the entertainer to emphasize the point.
Jim
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Last year, I shared an effect called Shuffling Bones: Will The Ghost Speak

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2004-10-23 14:53, Jim Wilder wrote:
And some of their parents I would not trust watching such a routine.

Well considering some of the idiosy I have seen with regards to sports teams, I would have to agree with your assessment! Of course, I do think their Darwinistic tendencies may be doing us all a favor. If we protect such people from themselves are we destroying the human race? Could we, as magicians doling out a plethora of ideas for self-immolation, be responsible for the betterment of the world? Perhaps....perhaps
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Help with a Halloween show (12 & under) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL