We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is the BEST chop cup routine? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9513 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On May 4, 2021, corneille wrote:
This is the best... I can do, for the moment.

https://youtu.be/hDB7rQqGI0c

Some very nice moves for sure, and it shows one need not be limited by the gaff of a Chop Cup.

Methinks every accomplished performer should be able to perform an impromptu one-cup routine using found objects,
and save a Chop Cup for limited settings/audiences. My favorite multi-phase routine uses a standard coffee mug and a basket of Creamers at a restaurant.
No gaffs or preparation, and the performer can change direction after each phase depending on audience engagement.

Now you have given me some additional ideas to consider as alternative Modules.

Thanks.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
DrVG
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of DrVG
In the same category as Axel s Just a cup, I would second Craig Petty s Chop and Boulanger s Presticup.
all have some excellent moves that are a sweet addition to classic chop cup moves
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I can't choose between Roth's and Ron Wilson's, and I remember one from Larry Jennings. Combine all three. But edit.
Bozman
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
64 Posts

Profile of Bozman
I also really like Alex's "just a cup". Opens up so many possibilities to go in/out of the routine or switch out the cup in use entirely.
Bozzy
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
666 Posts

Profile of karnak
Where might David Roth’s chop cup routine be available?

I know a performance-only video of it can be found on YouTube (at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBlRr5_Srs ).

But can downloadable printed instructions, or a video tutorial, be purchased someplace?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1307 Posts

Profile of Jerry
The only source I am aware of is "New York Magic Symposium Collection Three". The revised method from his lecture.
It is still available.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5842 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I really like the Michael O'Brien routine. He has some video of it on his YouTube Channel, O'Brien Magic.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a chop cup routine done with a BORROWED coffee cup and a dollar bill that actually has the same principle as Axel Hecklau's routine. It's called "Kaffee Wette" (Coffee Wager) and it was manufactured and sold by Christian Jedinat at least a decade before "Just a Cup." In my opinion, the Hecklau routine is principally for magicians. And it works well for that audience, because he always sells out at lectures. This is a perfect example of gearing a routine for your intended audience. Remember, ONLY the MAGICIANS and their immediate families who are in your audience have any idea of what a chop cup is.

Quote:
On Sep 22, 2019, Dougini wrote:
Has anyone here seen Just A Cup by Axel Hecklau? This is the BEST I have seen! It's one of the best tricks I have!

https://www.axelhecklau-shop.com/lng/en/......guage=en

Doug
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Axel Hecklau
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin / Germany
114 Posts

Profile of Axel Hecklau
Dear Bill

You of all people, as an expert, should know better.
The Kaffee Wette has the same basic concept - yes that's right. But the practical application is not fully developed (better say not really usable in the real world).
If you look at the details and changes I did and the PRACTICAL use in the real performance world, you should see the advantages of Just a cup.
Just a cup is anything but a trick designed for magicians. In real life it is of unbeatable advantage if you don't have to change anything before the spectator wants to look at the props.
Especially during tablehopping when you have to improvise sometimes, these advantages become noticeable. At lectures, Just a cup is sold out because the magicians realize that I have solved, among other things, the problem of how to bring the gimmick safely into play and how to show hands empty if needed. It's the combination of details that make a good concept a WORKER.

My routine has developed in many performances in "combat situations" to be flexible, diversified, natural and very astonishing. Using a dice and a dice cup is good for those who don't want to look improvised but still want to use normal objects.

Your post sounds, you think Just a cup is nothing new and only good for performances in a magic club to fool people who knows a chop cup.
You are right (except the word "only") - Just a cup was publishes 2008 - 14 years ago - I still sell every year the same number only advertised by word of mouth, and yes it fools magicians too. But I guess beside Newsflash and Spoonaround it is the most PERFORMED trick by other magicians for LAYPEOPLE I have developed. And the reason for this is: Just a cup has proven its advantages over a chop cup in the "real world"!
Zauberman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
As someone who has used Alex's Just a Cup at Hundreds of Outdoor Festivals and Street Shows for real people under real world conditions....I can verify it absolutely kills.
The concept and props are brilliant.
I have no affiliation with Just a Cup, just a real world magician who has used Alex's idea for over a decade.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I just wrote out my routine for the Cup and Bell prop that just sold at the Roth auction. It can be found in the Creating Magic thread under my name in the Secret Sessions section near the end, at the bottom, for what it is worth. Whoever bought the props didn't get a routine, so there is the routine, if anyone knows who bought it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is the BEST chop cup routine? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL