The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Hacker uses of Avatars? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hello,

I was just talking (PMing) with a prominent member of the Café. He recently removed his Avatar from the Café and said he had removed both his Avatar and all of his data from his Profile because someone is "harvesting" the information.

I notice that a number of other Café members have done likewise. Is this a very real threat to us? What info do you have on such a practice and threat?

Thanks for any info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Well, this is the Internet, after all. Any information you put out anywhere on the Internet can be harvested by someone if they are determined enough and can break whatever security is in place on a given site to protect your information. Here, it is up to each member to decide how much or little of their personal information is exposed to the general public.

We have member-governed options in place so you can hide your email address from the general membership (see the Edit Preferences link at the top of the forum). Email addresses are one of the targets of "harvesters". You aren't required to put anything at all in the "Location" or signature fields if you don't want to do so.

You aren't required to have an avatar, so if you don't want your picture shown, you don't have to show it here. Actually, this is the first I've heard of anyone here removing their avatar (or any other personal information for that matter) from their profile because someone harvested it.

We have deleted topics asking about member's pet's names, and a couple others dealing with personal information that could easily be used by unscrupulous persons for identity theft. We will continue to delete such topics due to the dangers involved.

The "threat" here is no worse than most of the rest of the Internet (not counting secure sites). In some respects there is less of a threat here due to the things I mentioned above.

On the Internet, your best defense is a good offense. If you are that worried about your personal information getting into the wrong hands, don't put it on the Internet.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thanks, Mary.

No, I'm not that worried. The pupose of my question is that I see many Café members removing their Avatar and I was just wondering if there was something specific goin on that we members should be aware of.

Thanks for the response.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Hacker uses of Avatars? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL