The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless headset (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
I am looking to purchase a wireless headset microphone for my stage show. Can anyone here give me some advice. I have included the links to 2 mic that I have had recommended. Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUUT1420
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SENEW152G2

The second unit has been recommended more, but costs another $100. Price isn't a huge issue, but if the Shure unit will be sufficient, I'd rather save myself some cash. Thanks for the help

shawn
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I would actually recomend the AirLine/Series One Headset - Microphone System you can get it at
http://springtree.net/Samson/wireless.html
they are a great company, call and let them know Jason Byers sent you I got mine for under $400. the sound is very clear some of the best I have heard.
another great feature is there is NO belt pack, and no cables on you, it is all on the headset. it is very confortable. I had another Samson headset, but with a beltpack, and liked it so much I got this one and it is 100 times better.
it is also UHF, not VHF so there is a better signal, and it has the "duel diversity"(sp)
"The AH1 Headset Transmitter mounts right on to Samson's comfortable and lightweight headset. Incredibly small, the AH1 still features an easy-to-reach Power On/Off switch; an Input Sensitivity control to adjust the mic level; a Mute (Audio on/off) switch and a multi-function LED that indicates when the transmitter is on and when your battery's running low. And the AH1 comes equipped with with either the Samson Qe fitness microphone which is ideal for vocal reproduction or the Qv vocal mic with a balanced response for performance. Samson's breakthrough micro circuitry allows the AH1 to operate on a tiny triple-A battery with 14-hours of life. Plus AirLine transmitters give you great sound and reliable wireless reception over long ranges, wherever you use it. And UHF (Ultra High Frequency) means your wireless system is operating on a much clearer frequency band with less interference. "
I would highly recomend this one.
PM me if you have any question
Jason
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Shawn

I used to sell, as well as still perform with wireless headset mikes and the shure is a very good.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Shawn,

Check with these people to see if they have a better price on the Sennheiser: http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/Wirel......ame.html

I bought my EW152 (1st generation model) from them for $375 when everybody else was selling it for $450 - $500. I'm not sure they can give as good a deal on the 152G2 but it's worth a try.

I really like the Sennheiser. If you check the other threads, you'll see that Andy Leviss really recommends them.

Michael
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I use a SAMSON AIRLINE wireless headset that I absolutely love. The transmitter is about the size of a disposible lighter and is mounted right on the back of the headset so you don't have any wires running down your back or anything. The reciever is about the size of a deck of cards and has a great range. I have had this mic for about a year and a half and I love it. As far as the best overall mic though I would go with a COUNTRYMAN, but I like the SAMSON AIRLINE.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Do a search elsewhere in this forum, we've gone into this questoin a LOT, and you'll find tons of great advice. I'll briefly say here that I would encourage you to stay away from Samson, they are NOT high quality products.

Stick with Sennheiser (best) or Shure (next best) for the transmitter/receiver, and, depending on how big you want the mic, DPA 4060 series (I can't recall offhand which are the headset models, one might be the 4065), the Crown CM-312 (these are rather large, but they're what we use on the Sesame St. Live tours, and they sound pretty good and are well built), or Countryman (although I'm a little leery of Countryman after some bad experiences with their connectors and customer service).

--Andy, who these days does magic as a hobby and works full time as a sound engineer for national tours
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
What ever you get make sure it is multi frequency, travelling around to different venues you'll need it,i used to have a one frequency model and it clashed with a taxi firm in my town so I got there talk over the p.a. NOT GOOD!
Keep passing the open windows!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Hey,

I just checked with Northern Sound and Light (see my post above) and they're asking $417.50 for the Sennheiser EW152 G2 with free shipping. That's the lowest price I've seen.

Michael
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Quote]
On 2004-10-26 03:03, Andy Leviss wrote:
Do a search elsewhere in this forum, we've gone into this question a LOT, and you'll find tons of great advice. I'll briefly say here that I would encourage you to stay away from Samson; they are NOT high quality products.

Stick with Sennheiser (best) or Shure (next best) for the transmitter/receiver, and, depending on how big you want the mic, DPA 4060 series (I can't recall offhand which are the headset models, one might be the 4065), the Crown CM-312 (these are rather large, but they're what we use on the Sesame St. Live tours, and they sound pretty good and are well built), or Countryman (although I'm a little leery of Countryman after some bad experiences with their connectors and customer service).

--Andy, who these days does magic as a hobby and works full time as a sound engineer for national tours
[/quote]

I sold my Countryman to buy the SAMSON. Say what you want about it, but it has twice the sound quality of the Countryman Isomax E6 with a SHURE transmitter and receiver that I had and it was about $200 cheaper for the entire set-up. I have put mine to the test and it is really working for me. I have 4 friends that after hearing my mic switched one had a countryman, 2 had a SHURE and one had a Sennheiser. They are all very happy with there decision and SAMSON has about the best customer service out there. Andy, SAMSON has come a long way in the past couple of years and I can honestly say that it is one of the best mics that I have ever owned or even heard for that matter.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
802 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
I sold my Countryman to buy the SAMSON. Say what you want about it, but it has twice the sound quality of the Countryman Isomax E6

Hi, gang!
Keep in mind that the Countryman E6, and the DPA's are NOT the first choice for sound quality in a "live" environment! In the right acoustical context they can work very well, but a real professioanl headset as used by singers (Crown CM-311, AKG C-420, etc...) will give better sound at higher volumes. The tiny ones are for low-visibility, and the larger ones typically sound better in poor gain-before-feedback applications. These rules-of-thumb DO apply to the mics I've mentioned.
Dan McLean Jr
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Hi, gang!
Keep in mind that the Countryman E6, and the DPA's are NOT the first choice for sound quality in a "live" environment! In the right acoustical context they can work very well, but a real professioanl headset as used by singers (Crown CM-311, AKG C-420, etc...) will give better sound at higher volumes. The tiny ones are for low-visibility, and the larger ones typically sound better in poor gain-before-feedback applications. These rules-of-thumb DO apply to the mics I've mentioned.
[/quote]

NOT sure why you would want a larger one if you are performing magic or speaking since we are not singing. The low visibility is what I perfer.

The countryman works very well for me. I was happy to see Lance Burton in his Vegas show is using them as well.

Ken
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
802 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-10-28 20:26, kenscott wrote:

NOT sure why you would want a larger one if you are performing magic or speaking ...

To answer your post, Ken, "gain-before-feedback" is the biggest reason, with sound quality also being a factor. Neither enters into the picture at lower volumes. If, however, you perform in situations in which your voice needs to be amplified a LOT, then a singer's headset is prbably the best option. For example, if your backing music is loud and you have to speak over it, or if you're performimg for THOUSANDS of people. For some, the "invisible" decision is the right one. For others, the "best gain-before-feedback" decision is the right one. For others, the decision is in that in-between area.

Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I hate to correct you Ken, but Lance uses a DPA mic. My buddy Kevin made the mistake of asking him what he thought of his Countryman and he corrected him quick. DPA was the original in that design of mic and a lot of people use DPA, but they are confused with Countryman. The DPA has better sound quality. My Samson is a larger mic, but it works great for me.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Not sure how one could confuse a DPA and a Countryman, unless they're just making assumptions and have never seen both. The DPAs have a much different look, and I wouldn't say that either was "the original", they don't try to be the same product, aside from both being in the "small lavalier" category.

DPA went for a compromise between size and sound quality that is slightly larger, but sounds much better; Countryman started small (the B3) and went even smaller (the B6), but tips the scale in that it doesn't sound quite as good. That's what the sound designer then has to decide, is the difference in quality more important than the difference in side, or not?

But yes, the DPAs do sound much better to myself and most designers/engineers I know. Again, however, that's all in the ear of the beholder.

I'm happy to hear that the Samson works for you. That said, due to the design and manufacturing process, scales, and target market, the Samson is not and never will be a better overall mic than a DPA or Countryman (or a Shure or Sennheser on the RF end of things). The Samson is aimed at the low budget musician who shops at Sam Ash, and is designed to a price point to appeal to that market; the higher end Sennheiser and Shure units are designed for a professional market that relies on these in harsh environments day and night.

The low end Shure and Sennheiser units are at worst comparable to the Samsons, and in most cases still superior (not necessarily just in sound quality, but in terms of RF signal strength, rejection of RF interference, etc.)

Again, the Samson may be a better fit for you, but by nature of the price point it is designed and manufactured to, it is of a lower quality than the products from DPA, Countryman, Sennheiser, and Shure. There's a reason that you've never seen a major rock act or musical using Samson products. It's not just a "we want the name brand" thing; the products that are accepted in professional venues are accepted for a reason. Simply put, it's because day in and day out, they work, and they work better.

My career survives based on the fact that the gear I spec and the gear I use sounds good and works consistently. I won't stake my career on lesser quality gear. YMMV.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
The night we saw Lance he was with out a doubt wearing a Countryman. I own the DPA and had problems with it they do not even look alike do they??

Ken
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Did you not understand what I said, do you need glasses? "I HAD A COUNTRYMAN WITH A HIGH END SHURE TRANSMITTER AND RECIEVER AND IT SOUNDED LIKE CRAP." It couldn't even hold a torch to the mic that I am using now. It was always feeding back. I am offended that you question my judgment.

As far as it being a rigorous mic I have used it in over 300 presentations and it has traveled on a plane well over 15 times and still looks and sounds great.

DPA looks similar from the audience. Up close they don't really look the same.

You did make a good point when you said that sound quality is in the ear of the beholder. To the "sound guru" it may not be the best brand name (I don't care what you say, brand names and brand status have a lot to do with why large shows use certain gear). Samson has been given a bad wrap because it is a little cheaper.

OUT,

MDS

Ken, the trimline DPA is the same thin wirelike design as the Countryman. Lance uses a DPA...... Get in touch with John Bundy http://www.illusionbiz.com, he was the person that originally told me the scoop about DPA and Countryman. He uses a DPA that he claims has been copied by Countryman.
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Can someone please clarify what the "DPA" is. I'm not familiar with this. I am familiar with the Countryman and have looked into that headset as well, but now I am interested in the differing opinions here. Thanks for all the info here folks. Right now I'm leaning towards the Shure SLX UHF unit although I may go for the Sennheiser. I have a friend with the samson and although I thought it was a good idea, I thought it was a little uncomfortable. Nevertheless I am still curious about the DPA. Thanks.
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
802 Posts

Shawn,
"DPA" is Danish Pro Audio, and their Web site is http://www.dpamicrophones.com/. Click on Products and then Headsets.

The DPAs are certainly much more robust than the Coutryman E6, and sound better. Not to knock the Countryman, though, because it's smaller (less visible), and stil does sound very good.
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I had the DPA Miniature Microphone Headband an had a lot of problems with it.

Now Matthew said that the DPA and countryman are similiar? The reason I like the countryman is the sound is great and it fits over ONE ear and not the head. I saw NO DPA that fit over one ear it looked like all headsets went around ear to ear? I could be wrong.

But again the countryman goes around one ear and is VERY lite .

Dan I have heard that other people say the that the countryman is not a good mic to go through travles and a lot use, robust? What problems have you heard about the Countryman E6? The one that I have I have been using for two years approx. 300 shows a year a lot of use. I just had to get a new wire that goes to the mic and body pack because the other one finally gave out. The cord was 45.00. Other than that no problems. But just curious what others have heard or gone through with countryman.

Thanks
ken
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Ken,

I heard all of my info about DPA from John Bundy and he seemed to be pretty knowledible about it. He could have been just blowing smoke though. He had a Mic on that looked like a countryman and fit over one ear. It was wire thin and flesh color. He insisted that it was a DPA and come to think of it he said that it was the same mic that Lance uses. Maybe he was wrong about the whole thing. Who knows.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless headset (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL