We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless headset (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I can state as fact that DPA does not make a single ear headworn mic. The only headset models they make are the 4065, 4066, 4067, and 4088 series, which are all based on the same around-the-back design. The only differences lie in whether they're adjustable or not and the mic pattern (they recently added the 4088, which is a cardioid).

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/Images/DM01738.jpg
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Thanks Andy

I found the dpa hard to travel with because it did not fold down.

Ken
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Matthew,

Your offended that someone doesn't "trust" your opinion? GROW UP! Last time I checked, everyone had the right to make their own jugdements and opinions. So what if you had bad luck with that one mic and you found one that worked. I'm glad you found one that worked for what you are doing. I don't know bout everyone else but there are many times Ill buy something and later on have to get something else till I find that it works for the uses that I am wanting it to. I do hope the best for you and your shows but try not to get "offended" just because someone doesn't use your "highly rated opinions".

Robert Long
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
302 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Hi Shawn.I worked in the music industry.Both as a performer,and sound technician.I highly recommend the AKGwms40/44l uhf wireless headset system.The mic is very comfortable to wear,extremeley reliable,and it sounds great!Not to mention that it gives you maximum volume,before feedback.I've used this system to both,sing and speak.It's a very warm and rich sounding mic.You want a smooth warm tone,especially for speaking.This mic delivers.

Depending on your set up,you may want to get the diversity system.This system has 2 antenneas,as opposed to just one.This system is only a few dollars more.In my opinion,it's worth it.2antennaes are a little better be cause one,is always on.Should any interference come in contact with the antennea,the other one kicks on to serve.This happens so fast ,that there is no signal drop out!In other words it's very smooth,and quiet.I love mine.

The AKG WMS 40/44L UHF is reasonalby priced,too.Under $350.00.As I said the dual antennae version will run a little higher.
If you'd like,pm me,and I'll try to get you the best price on this(I still have connections)I can find out what your price+shipping would be.Feel free to pm me with any questions you might have.I'll do my best to help you.
Brian
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Andy and Ken,

I will have to have a talk with John and find out why he would say that he uses a DPA when according to you they don't even make one that looks remotely like a Countryman. I will let you know what I find out.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
John is still working at his halloween gigs so it will probably be a week or so when he gets home.

I have never known John to "blow smoke". I have worked on stage and backstage with him several times.

It is interesting to hear all this talk about wireless mics. The new book by Ken Weber "Maximum Entertainment" makes some very good points about using a handheld mike. These points were pointed out very strongly when I saw Craig Karges use a handheld so effectively in a show. There are some things you just can't do with a wireless.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I just got a response from John and he said "I use a DPA." I responded by asking what model. I will let you know.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
If one saw it from a distance and didn't notice that it goes around the back of the head, it's feasible that one might mistake the DPA headsets, which use a wire frame, for a Countryman E6, although in reality they look completely different, both due to the around-the-back design and the larger element on the DPA. Next time you talk to John, tell him I said hi, I haven't seen him in ages, I think the last time was when I was crew at the Tannen's Jubilee the year he closed the weekend with the "Wacky Dracky" show.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I will find out what model and do a little researh and let you know. I didn't know that the DPA wraps all of the way around.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2004-10-30 01:00, Andy Leviss wrote:
I can state as fact that DPA does not make a single ear headworn mic. The only headset models they make are the 4065, 4066, 4067, and 4088 series, which are all based on the same around-the-back design.
-snip--
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/Images/DM01738.jpg
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Andy,

Johns looks nothing like the mic in the link. His is flesh toned and wraps down over the top of his ear like a ? mark. That is why I thought that it was a Countryman. I am still awaiting the model #.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
MDS....they also make the mic andy posted in beige and it can be worn without the windscreen. That is probably what he meant to send.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/module.php......cription

Someone could confuse this with a countryman.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I think that is it. I will find out for sure. If that is it then I can see why one would not like it. It looks even more fragile and uncomfortable than a Countryman. I like a more ruged/roadworthy mic. Thanks Kevin.

MDS

Update:

Okay, I found out from John that he uses the DPA 4065 FL in beige which can be mistaken for a Countryman if you don't notice that it wraps around. Go to http://www.dpamicrophones.com and click on products, then headbands, then 4065FL in beige.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Well then I can then say that I saw Lance Burton do a show using a Countryman. He had the cord taped down with skin tone tape down on his neck.

ken
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We do the sahame with the countryman. Without the tape, it can move around a bit, which of course causes noise. But we still may be leaning towards adding the DPA. A good friend of ours in the music busines swears by it.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Yup, you always want to use medical tape to tape the cable down and keep it from looping up above the color after you start moving your neck.

In theatre, we typically use one of a couple different brands of clear medical tape to do so. If you do a search on my past postings in this section, I've previously gone into a lot of detail on this in posts I've made on how to rig lavalier mics in the hair/over the ear.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
So the wire moving can cause that much sound interferance? Maybe that was the problem that I was having with my Countryman.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
It certainly can, although less so with a headset mic, since the headset and associated strain relief tend to keep any tugs/rubs on the cable from getting transferred to the element.

The tape is more an aesthetic concern--it looks really ugly to have a big loop of cable sticking out the back of your neck.

Another source of static-like pops and bursts and crackles that you may run into is the conductors in the cable shorting together. This can be caused due to a break somewhere in the cable, or inferior workmanship in the connector.

The latter is dependent on who terminates the cable and how they do it, typically Countryman mics are terminated by the supplier you buy them from, so each shop may have their own way of doing it. That said, I've had the same problem both with Countryman elements purchased from a supplier and those repaired by Countryman's in-house service department. This problem is that the conductors inside the connector are stripped back too far, so that as the strain relief gets bent and starts to soften, the conductors short out against each other and cause those crackles and pops. I never got a satisfactory explanation from Countryman on why this was not a warranty issue, nor did their head engineer call me back about it, as he was supposed to.

That's why I no longer recommend Countryman products (aside from the fact that the DPA elements do in fact sound better, although previously I could see cases where the Countryman's size outweighed the sound differences). I'll certainly work with them if that's what I'm given to work with, since I'm not the one who spec's the systems I tour with, but I prefer not to :o)
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Good to know....
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I guess that explains why they make these cables snap on and off. I just bought new cables they were 44.00 each. I was getting that snap pop sound.

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless headset (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL