The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind ETMMM Breakdown (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2004-11-16 14:35, Richard Osterlind
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to express my feelings.

Bravo!!
Well done!

Sven
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
Big non-responsive response above.

Questions not directly answered.

Citations misleading (as it is a different thing to be inspired by an original creator and develop your own new material than to present the material in recorded/pubblished form substantially as it was originally developed).

As to criticisms from groups of professional mentalists, using Mark Lewis as a source hardly inspires confidence. Moreover, I'm not sure of the circumstances anyone left those groups under, but I'd bet some former members couldn't get back into those groups now for whatever reason.

Finally, it is an old trick to stoke the fires of division between mentalists and magicians. But here it is being done in a unique way! Now THAT'S creative and ORIGINAL !
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
Quote:
On 2004-10-31 10:45, entity wrote:
I can't speak for others, but in my case the questions I asked regarding *making mentalism easy* is much less about elitism than it is about the concern of making Mentalism common.

If you think this is bad, I just got wind of a book entitled "Self-Working Mental Magic" by a fellow named Karl Fulves.

Mental Magic...Self-Working?!?!?

What's worse, I heard this book will be easily available in high street bookshops all around the world for as little as $7!!

WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!

Seriously though, I do feel that "Easy to Master.." is an ill-chosen title for the series. In my opinion, something along the lines of "Classics of Mentalism" would possibly convey more respect to the material and to the art. I think that many are worried that labelling a set of DVDs as "Easy to Master.." will undoubtedly attract the lazy and the those who want an easy ride.

But then, Fulves seems to have got away with it.
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2004-11-16 22:39, mystic1 wrote:
Big non-responsive response above.

Questions not directly answered.

Citations misleading (as it is a different thing to be inspired by an original creator and develop your own new material than to present the material in recorded/pubblished form substantially as it was originally developed).

As to criticisms from groups of professional mentalists, using Mark Lewis as a source hardly inspires confidence. Moreover, I'm not sure of the circumstances anyone left those groups under, but I'd bet some former members couldn't get back into those groups now for whatever reason.

Finally, it is an old trick to stoke the fires of division between mentalists and magicians. But here it is being done in a unique way! Now THAT'S creative and ORIGINAL !

Why don't you read more closely? I answered each and every question raised to me!

Do you have the DVD's??? As I said, just about everything on there has some sort of personal touch. And what kind of nonsense is it that says is OK to take a standard effect, change it a bit, and use it, but it's not OK to do it as originally shown? Why don't you put down Johnny Thompson or even Dai Vernon for doing Malini just the way he did his material?

Regardless of how that post got there, they ARE the actual posts! Are you trying to deny that?

And finally, I DID NOT START THIS!!!! I am DEFENDING my actions from people like you who have no better way to spend their life than trying to make trouble!

Why don't you come clean and lay out your agenda. Do you have any kind of personal interest in these matters? Do you have the DVD's and do you know what you are talking about?

As I said in a previous post, just because you have a keyboard in front of you, does not mean you are not responsible for your words!

Richard

PS And those groups wanted VERY MUCH for me to get back in!
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Are there any reviews of the DVDs out yet???
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
174 Posts

Profile of Millard123
Quote:
On 2004-11-16 14:35, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Apparently someone has copied the posting of a forum onto alt.magic. The title is “Secret rumblings from the PEA about Osterlind and the url is

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&am......p;rnum=1

Here is one of my own posts that is mysteriously missing from the Mark Lewis post on alt.magic:

"Richard Osterlind contacted me today and asked if he and I were still OK regarding his first DVD set (Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries - Copyright 2003) and his use of Acidus Novus on that set. I told him that we were still OK and then he said that he had heard rumors of my unhappiness over the matter. I told him that I would make this post to clear the air of rumors.

I have previously posted that I am OK with Richard and that I think he is one of the good guys! I have specifically recounted Richard’s very nice treatment of me before he released his first DVD set and realized that he had not credited me for Acidus Novus.

In the past, many authors have used my billet methods with no regard for my feelings; Richard was the first to care enough about me to call and I am still very impressed with him.

I sincerely hope that this post makes it clear to all that I like and respect Richard."

I am posting this here for the same reason that I posted it elsewhere – this is how I feel about Richard Osterlind and I want the magic community to know that this is how I feel!

I have yet to see Richard’s new DVDs, but I feel that they will reflect his very high standards for content and performance.

Millard
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Why not put this whole issue into the perspectictive of the Fine Arts World ? Does learning how to paint like the Great Masters from another artist, who has learned from another artist, "infringe" or violate ethical practices somehwere in the art world ? Only duplicating a painting (good luck)and forging, or signing someone elses name, like Rembrandt, and trying to market that as "his" original would constitute real "fraud". (See the film "Incognito" Rod Steiger and Jason Patrick).
Using the great classics of art and music, to learn from and to teach others the way, is what has been done for centuries. Art schools and universities have been teaching people how to paint, and, art appreciation for just as long. Does "everyone" around now know how to paint or even draw like a master ? Not even close !

So Richard Osterlind is teaching magicians and mentalists the fine art of what he does so well, and has done for so long .
All the attacks and criticism of Richard are reminiscent of the "old west". Where any "kid" or (in this case), a newcommer. Who see's an opportunity to "distract" someone of Richard's caliber. Uses a forum like this to start "firing away". Without Provocation or, Justification. And too often so very cowardly, "taking aim" at his back . So while it is here, just words from a "keyboard", many of them hide behind the safe "cover" of a pseudo "username". And often, with no (genuine) photo of the "accuser".
It is too easy to see who the "Frauds" are in this forum. They are those who presume to challenge. And those who continue to "take cheap shots" at. A true professional whom they, could never come close to touching the talents, acheivements and intergrity of, Richard Osterlind.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Quote:
On 2004-11-17 08:47, johnjnesbit wrote:
Does "everyone" around now know how to paint or even draw like a master ? Not even close !

I know of at least "one" that is achieved that "master" painter level. Smile

John Eddington
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
No matter how hard I try I always end up with more paint on my head and clothes than on the walls. There is a lesson for all of us in this.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Dear Richard Osterlind,

Please stop defending yourself. Nothing you say will satisfy your critics. You should rise above this petty criticism and continue doing what you do best.

Michael Ammar will always be remembered as a great magician and teacher of magic. So will you. As for the other mentalist “elite”… well, maybe they will get a mention in The Encyclopedia of Magicians if anyone still remembers them.

This thread has made one thing clear for me; I waste too much time reading about mentalism instead of learning and practicing mentalism.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
MagicInsight...I get it! You're a make-up artist.

Pierredan...well said, but you can still learn a lot from reading mentalism Smile You just have to pick your threads wisely. For example; I keep reading this one for some reason. Even worse, I keep making off-topic comments.

I know one thing...if people get mad and criticize you for doing something, it will only make others want it even more. Most of the time those people are only "hyping" to bring the desire up. IN this case, people are really angry about the release of this material. This is even more powerful. So what, a group of elitist won't buy it (likely they will, and deny it). All those newbies reading this thread will go..."Wow, this stuff will be the best thing to get." They will of course be right!

You want to sell a million records? Slap a sticker on the cover that says adult rated, or un-edited version.
Those drawing attention and criticism are really the biggest boost for these DVDs.

John E.

John E.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Johne,

You are absolutely correct. Everytime I see an adult movie with a sticker saying rated XXX, I buy it.

Frankly I am amazed about the amount of and the degree of anger and pettiness expressed in some of the posts on this thread. I did not know that the Café had so many copyright lawyers as members. Speaking as a lawyer myself, I think it would be wise to let Mr. Osterlind, Mr. Sisti and L&L Publishing be concerned about and deal with any copyright issues. Speaking as a magic/mentalist hobbyist who enjoys magic and mentalism, I think it would be better if we spent more time enjoying and learning from these wonderful and detailed DVDs then to make improper and inappropriate accusations.

Johne, I also do manicures and eyebrows if you are interested.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
You're welcome, Mr. Nesbit.

I'm glad you're buying up all the "XXX" videos you can, MagicInsight LOL. You got to admit...its those pay internet sites that get you most intrigued. As we find out in mentalism too though...you don't always get what you pay for Smile This is definatley not the case with Richard's material. I can't comment or pass judgment on the new release, as I have not seen them.

John E.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Johne,

Was that a hint by the way?
—Hakim, Loreweaver
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
No hints...just stating my position on the matter. I'm waiting for your review.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
You will get my review shortly. I am sure that Mr. Ostlerind has doen a magnificent job in performing and explaining all of these classic effects as his has done in his previous DVD releases.

I see that you removed your avatar. Too much facial hair? I can take care of that for you.
—Hakim, Loreweaver
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Bunsen Burner incident here at work...trying to bend wine glasses LOL. Just kidding.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I find it strange that people can sit hiding behind a non de plume presuming to tell Richard to stop defending himself when he is being "punched and jabbed" from every side and quite simply what it comes down to is that they trying to bring questions on his integrity. We saw these kinds of tactics all through the last election. If you bring up accusations against someone, whether they are true or not, people will begin to question that individual's integrity whether they have the facts or not because that's what we do: judge someone without all the facts.
I've also noticed that it's easy, for those who aren't out there performing full time at the level that Richard is, to sit around and criticize what he does.

My grandparents always taught me that if you don't have something nice to say, keep it quiet.

Magicinsight,
I just know that my friend is being personally attacked. Now it's one thing when you attack a man to someone else in a private setting (which is still wrong). It's a whole other issue when accusations are being made on a public forum and for someone to think that Richard should just sit back and take it...that's just ridiculous.
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Sadly, it could be just the motive to accumulate more "posts". That, and the possibility of not feeling "connected" anywhere else. So what's to lose in alientating themselves from where they never were bonded to begin with ?
Also, the strange feeling of the "reality t.v. shows", mentality creeping in. If you don't understand something, or are uncomfortable with "yourselves", gang up and blame it on a person of integrity.
Rick Green, you are correct about Richard defending himself. He shows more finesse in being able to "stand his ground", because it is for the right reasons. Than do his detractors and their miserable attempts to "undermine" what he tries to do for the community, and for this forum.
I do think that "pierredan" was trying to speak on behalf "of" Richard, and not criticise him for defending himself.
It is scandalous the way that "Magicians Helping Magicians", has at times turned into...
"Hacks Attacking Real Professionals".
I don't beleive that "wanna be internet assasins" are helping themselves or each other. Anymore than "suicide bombers" help save their own people from more problems to come.
Richard doesn't deserve any of the "rubbish" heaved at him, but he will reap the rewards of the increased sales of the new DVD's. And the support of those who are his "true friends."
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I fail to understand the purpose of the arguments against Mr osterlind.
Why are people argueing here? The only reason I can see is jelously, nothing more, how does anything richard does effect the day to day lives of those indivuduals who are argueing against his work???
I can only see learning potential here.

This whole thing is not about rights certs, as those individuals will not be in any way effected by such things.
It's like saying that some one sneezing in china will destroy all of those on the other side of the globe.
I think for those who do not agree with Mr Osterlind or his work the answers is simple, you don't have to look at his work.
Those of us that do will have the experience and knowledge to run rings around those closed minded indivuduals.
H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind ETMMM Breakdown (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL