The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Ellisdons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Does anyone know when they went out of business?
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Anyone?
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Well as you specify Anyone Meilechl, I spent most afternoons in the magic dept of Ellisdons, marvellous place, that and gamages. When I wasn't there I would be in the old Davenports in New Oxford Street with people like Pat Page as the demonstrator. I believe Ellisdons closed in the mid sixties. It moved from Oxford street to Regent street. May I ask why you are so interested in the closing?
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Because I have an effect that came from them and I want to know how old it would have to be. The effect is called Three Card Monte and is the same (sleightly different routine) as Michael skinner's.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I spent a lot of time in Ellisdons and also in Gamages.

In those days, one couldn't get into the back room (the "real" shop) of International Magic unless one was "obviously" a conjuror. And I wasn't. So I couldn't get past the outer counter that housed Itching Powder and Plastic Dog Poo (and the occasional Svengali Deck).

One still meets the same attitude - I found it in a magic shop in Brussels a couple of months ago (though I was accepted there). And it's not an unreasonable attitude, I think.

But to get back on track - yes, they closed in the late 60s, I think.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Ellisdons (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL