We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Scruffy - The Ultimate Key Card from Steven Youell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jtcavataio
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of jtcavataio
Steven Youell just released a video introducing a key card that he calls Scruffy. It may sound odd, but once you've tried it, I'm sure you will make it an important part of your card magic arsenal.
It is unbelievably simple to prepare - it took me about 5 minutes from start to finish, and I was able to apply and use it very very quickly.
As part of the video Steven also shows you a great way to prepare your decks for use. The prep really improves your faros and just generally makes your cards feel really awesome.
Steven is a great teacher and his instruction is incredibly detailed so you will walk away with a full understanding of the material. You will not be disappointed. Its worth checking out.

http://www.cardguy.net

I almost hate to share this gem because its that good, and pretty near impossible to spot.

Enjoy

PS - There is also a nice little freebie available on his site so its worth the trip!!!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4928 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
How good is this key card compared to Infinity or Breather key card or others?
jtcavataio
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of jtcavataio
I don't use either of those, so it honestly wouldnt be fair of me to compare them. I will look into it and let you know though.
smum
View Profile
New user
bonnie Scotland
42 Posts

Profile of smum
"As part of the video Steven also shows you a great way to prepare your decks for use. The prep really improves your faros and just generally makes your cards feel really awesome."

See the Collected Works of Alex Elmsley volume two for ideas on this...
James Andrews
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of James Andrews
In using Youell's Key Card, can you hand the deck for a spectator to shuffle? In other words, how noticeable is it when it is in the deck?

Can it remain in the deck undetected if you do other effects that require the deck to be handled by the spectator?
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of luvisi
I haven't used (or made) Scruffy myself, but I know the secret and I would have no concerns about handing out a deck with Scruffy in it.

I'm not fond of gaffs, but if you're willing to use prepared key cards, Scruffy is definitely an option worth examining. It can be located by sight and by feel, and both methods are very subtle. It also has some advantages over standard key cards when doing table work. I hope I haven't given too much away.

Andru
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1552 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Thank you!. You have given just enough away to make me
want it.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2004-10-29 08:11, smum wrote:
"As part of the video Steven also shows you a great way to prepare your decks for use. The prep really improves your faros and just generally makes your cards feel really awesome."

See the Collected Works of Alex Elmsley volume two for ideas on this...

Actually my procedure goes WAY beyond the Elmsley methodology.

SEY

Posted: Oct 29, 2004 2:50pm
--------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2004-10-29 03:14, Kjellstrom wrote:
How good is this key card compared to Infinity or Breather key card or others?

I believe it's better than both, but I
realize opinions vary and I'm obviously
prejudiced. However-- I KNOW it's AS GOOD
and would bet that you'll find it BETTER.

SEY
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Scruffy vs. Breather, my take.

Advantages: The work will never "weaken" or need to be "put back in". I expect that getting control of Scruffy in a deck that's been worn or mangled a little during a spectator shuffle would be more sure fire than getting control of a breather.

Disadvantages: The work takes longer to put in to begin with.

Andru
Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
I am familiar with Scruffy's methodology and I agree with Andru on his comparison between it and a Breather Crimp. Very well said.

I have used Steven's method to condition the deck that "improves your faros and just generally makes your cards feel really awesome," as jtcavataio commented on. I recommend this highly.

Also, take advantage of Steven's generosity by checking out the freebie on his site.

http://www.cardguy.net/products.htm

Anything Steven Youell puts out I fully endorse.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
If you use a gaffed key card and are happy, practiced, comfortable and mastered at it, there really isn't a reason for you to look for alternatives.
However, if your situation is less than what I've noted, then you might very well consider Steven's "Scruffy".

Andru pointed out that this card is easily found by sight and feel. Sight in more than one way and believe me, not at all obvious to anyone except yourself or if handed to a magician with the challenge of finding the gaffing (might still be only guessed at). Its very easily made, but its not made impromptu. I would feel very comfortable handing the deck out and having a spectator shuffle, cut, mutilate and spindle (what is spindling, anyway?).

If you don't use or plan to use key cards, don't get it. But, if you are serious about this type of gaff and don't have a favorite already, this will serve you well.

Overall, the value is there for what it is. Heck, a video with effects, a new utility card, and a method for keeping your decks in long lasting professional shape for 15 bucks postpaid anywhere in the world can't be beat (well, unless you are a friend of Vinny's).
Hope this helps those considering.
fwee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of fwee
I, like Andru, don't particularly like using gaffs in my card work. HOWEVER, Scruffy is the first gaff that I am going to weave into my card stuff for many of the reasons already mentioned:

-Simple to prepare
-Very easy to locate via sight & feel
-virtually undetectable
-does not wear out with use

The thing to keep in mind here is this comes from Steve Youell. I've been into card magic for a long time (>20 years) and Steve has some ideas about cards that leave me thinking, "what a great idea, why didn't I think of that, I'm going to use that"

Go check out his freebie offer as Tommy mentions and you will see one of those great ideas.

Fred
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
I also posted this in the "for sale" section, but I will ALWAYS carry a "Scruffy" for use in my decks. It is a tool that magicians will use.

Try to learn anything you can from Steven as his teaching is phenomenal. I'm improving in leaps and bounds thanks to his guidance.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I also suggest getting his lecture notes if you have not yet done so before they are gone. Anything he releases is worth a purchase for that matter.
Drive Carefully
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
I am not a big fan of gaffs in my card work, either. Scruffy is something else, though. Scruffy is just another card, along for the ride, who can help you fool the snot out of both the laity and your magic buds, without ever getting caught. Your deck can be examined, and unlike the breather or corner shorts, won't be caught. Scruffy passes the flip test, the tilt test, etc. What Steven is offering is great value for the money, and I try really hard to be in the front of the class with my hand in the air when he is around. I'm still wishing he hadn't let Scruffy out in public, though.
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Well, better late than never. I finally ordered my copy of Steven Youell's Scruffy last week and received it in three days from CA. I use a C*S* in my deck but it will be replaced with Scuffy. In addition to the positive comments above, what fooled me was when Scruffy is in play the deck can be riffled shuffled. (I watched the two effects first before I watched what Scruffy was).

I saw Steven lecture at Denny's last year and picked up his lecture notes Weapons of Mass Destruction and I highly recommend them as well.

Great lecturer and nice guy.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3220 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
This is the best key card I’ve seen.

It's unique, you won’t find this in any magic book.

Steve Youell mentions many of the key card ideas and shows why Scruffy is less visible, and less detectable than them, and he also explains and demonstrates how you can let an audience member shuffle the cards without fear of detection.

He also includes an annoying trick. Steve Youell calls it annoying, not me! If you get this, I bet you’ll use it on your magician friends.
There is also another good trick included.

Finally, as an added bonus, he shows how to make your decks last longer and Faro easier. This alone is worth the price of the CD. I wish I’d known this years ago.

If you need a really deceptive key card, buy this now.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Carlo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco, California
237 Posts

Profile of Carlo
I don't even like to handle cards anymore, that haven't been treated by Steven's method.
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
I've got to agree with Carlo; I use both concepts on every deck I use now; both Scruffy and the entire deck prep. It's an amazing feeling, now, to pick up someone else deck...ew. I don't know, honestly, how I ever did without this!!! ::grin::
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
The posted link takes me to Cogitations.net and I'm not about to spend $20 for a 'subscription' for a 'freebie'. Just doesn't make sense to me
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Scruffy - The Ultimate Key Card from Steven Youell (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL