The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best TT? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
Hi all. Just bought a Vernet standard TT. It looks good, although it doesn't fit all the way on, especially if it's loaded. I haven't used a TT in years, but I seem to remember that it really doesn't matter if the thing fits all the way on. Nobody will notice an extra long T. That said, I'd like to hear other people's recommendations on larger TTs. Also, has anybody used the Vernet "soft" TT?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I have a number of them, mostly different, Vernet classic, Vernet soft, etc, and tend to prefer the soft, for color and comfort.

But in a pinch I grab whichever is handy. And since I carry a couple of different bags, it is often a matter of using "what's in the bag"

The fit (as long as it is not uncomfortable) and color are pretty much incidental if you have reasonable handling of it. You don't even need great handling, as I saw Cellini hold his hand with Vernet out in the open, and everyone was so amazed at the effect, they never saw the Vernet.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
A TT is a gimmick (meaning HIDDEN) and as such it really doesn't matter. My late mentor demonstrated the how and why a TT is/should be at a convention many years ago by wearing a silver TT the entire time he performed and no one ever noticed it until he pointed it out to the magicians afterwards.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
I agree with what has already been said. The key is getting one that feels comfortable to you and that you feel comfortable working with. As Paul's post demonstrates the color doesn't matter at all but, if it does not fit correctly or comfortably it can be a distraction to you and could lead to you tipping your hand, or thumb, Smile so to speak.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
You would be amazed at what folks don't see.

I heard of someone using a metal TT, and the audience was STILL none the wiser!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
rtcooks
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of rtcooks
I am new to magic and I am learning many different things right now. I have purchased crase course 1 from ellusionist. I have also learned a few rope tricks, cups and balls and scotch & soda. My question is, are there different color TT out there. I am a black man, but all of the TT I see are white. Do any of you have any suggestions.
Thank You...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
As unbelievable as it may sound, I have never seen TT's in shades suitable for you.

I'm sure there are folks here who can help.

Ask at a local hobby shop about acrylic or oil based paints, though I am afraid the paint may "crack" on a flexible surface. Perhaps some sort of dye.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
rt,
I don't recall where I saw the ad but, yes, within the past couple of months someone has brought out TTs in dark skin tones for black performers.
Anybody else remember this or who was the distributor?
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
rtcooks,

Daytona Magic carries TT's in a variety of shades, styles, sizes, and materials. Click Here!
I am sure there are other shops that carry them as well.
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
Go to http://www.cards4magic.co.uk
and click on 'gadgets'. You will find a TT section with a picture of a great range of shapes and colours. Smile
Clive is a UK dealer who is VERY reliable! Smile
Wallace B
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
You could always use make up, then you could blend it in to your skin and make them even less noticable Smile
Jester
:clownjuggling:
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
I've got a Vernet standard and a soft. The soft feels more comfortable than the standard, but I've noticed one problem. For a bill switch, the soft seems to "grab" the bill, and not let go. Friction I guess. Lack of practice, more likely. Just an observation.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Buy a TT from a magic shop – where you can go in and “select” one. I wouldn’t buy a pair of shoes without trying them on. Give your magic the same credit you give your feet.

1. You need one that fits.
2. One that will hold your thumb as well as an object to vanish (livestock etc)
3. One that looks like your flesh

My magic shop owner suggested owning a winter and a summer TT for the changes in your skin tone. Personally – I think he was just flirting with me…..
G-Diddy
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of G-Diddy
I have a number of TTs.
I use different types for different tricks.
Just because of the "feel"
People never see it unless they are looking for it in particular- I performed once and an audience member commented on how I have something in my hand- embarassed I showed the hand with the TT on and said "you caught me" Surprisingly, everyone was more amazed because No one saw it.
smile4wandini
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of smile4wandini
Vernet hard is good for me. I use a junior because I have small hands, but I like the junior soft with my D'Lite!
www.smilephoto.com
The Great Wandini
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I like to use the vernet "JUMBO" for the hanky vanish.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
robin_martin
View Profile
New user
London, UK
74 Posts

Profile of robin_martin
Yup, go into a magic shop and ask to try one. The owner of the shop near me was happy to let me try for size.
The secret of the mind is the secret of the self.
http://www.robin-martin.com/photorecall.html
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Ben,

If you would like to make your TT a little looser do what I usually have to do.

As long as it is of the plastic type that is!
Drop it in a glass of very hot water for a few seconds and then quickly take it out and force it onto something (gently) which is the right diameter. A broom shaft, or pushing a power ball in works fine.

Then, while it is on there, run it under cold water for a few seconds to harden it up again.

You may have to do this a few times.

Oh! I forgot to mention, as I am doing the above, I also get some really rough sandpaper and go all over the outer surface of the tip. This gives me something of a key for gripping the tip for palming and the $1MTTBS etc.

Then I drill a small hole toward the end so there are never any airlocks or popping etc.

Hope this is of some use too. My TT looks awful but that makes no difference, they work for me Smile

Bri
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-08-29 17:51, steve proescher wrote:
I've got a Vernet standard and a soft. The soft feels more comfortable than the standard, but I've noticed one problem. For a bill switch, the soft seems to "grab" the bill, and not let go. Friction I guess. Lack of practice, more likely. Just an observation.
Steve, no it's not your lack of practice. The soft TTs do tend to grip during a bill switch. For bill switches, I only use a hard TT, whether plastic or metal. I think the one I currently use is from Hottrix. Very realistic (if it matters to you).

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
There are different degrees of softness as well. I got hooked on the semi-soft vinyl TT made in Japan after picking one up at a magic/joke shop (I don't know the manufacturer--anyone know?). They didn't know if they could get more, so I ordered soft vinyl TTs online. What I received were super flimsy. I have no use for them (at least at the moment). Fortunately, the local shop got more of the good ones in so I bought a couple more.

The lesson being: whichever you settle on as best for you, buy a bunch just in case you suddenly find them hard to get!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best TT? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL