The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which is stronger - coins across to your or spectator's hand? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2005-01-21 19:33, tracematt wrote:
Sounds good to me
I've just ordered coinvanish 2.......
where can I pick up the gaff required for 4 coins, your hands?

Which version of the book did you get? I am guessing hardcopy? If you got the .pdf then you should know this answer.

I'd like to keep the details behind the methods to the routine off the public forums.

If you are just awaiting the hardcopy, shoot me an email or PM telling me who you are, and I'll be happy to give you the info in private (assuming I have you on record ordering it).

Thanks!

Dan
Click to visit:
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
It depends on the situation and how you are handling the spectators, if you are in a pub or in an alcoholic area, then best to do it in your hands. Jon Allen is one of the few routines I have seen I like using the spectators hand for the coins to travel, but then a gain is till prefer bob kohlers 3 fly. I am now, although I will probably be told it is a bad idea, working on a routine around them. I start off by using curtis kams production of dollars from beijing coins across, then do 3 fly, then do gary kurtz coin vanish. or I do basically gary kurtz misty like a dream opening, 3 fly, then vanish the coins in the same way of misty like a dream
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2005-01-22 06:05, Chuds wrote:
I am now, although I will probably be told it is a bad idea, working on a routine around them.

Why would that be a bad idea? Sounds like a good one to me. I use a production sequence and vanish sequence to frame my use of U3F.
Click to visit:
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I have had a few magicians say it is bad because it takes away the magicalness of 3 fly itself, but I see it as the coins are doing all the magic not me. so they come from nowhere, move to anywhere, then vanish as easily as they came prooving it was an illusion all along
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-01-11 19:35, Bob Kohler wrote:
Dan tipped the routine to me in its infancy. No doubt that it's a closer. The handling is superior. The power of the effect is devastating. I believe 4 Coins, Your Hands has set the bar very high for the coins across plot. It's about as interactive with a specator as it can possibly be. Since the magic happens in the spectators hands the reactions are off the chart.

Since Jamie Schoocraft made the gaff, I expect a long line to get one. Buy the book, get all of Dan's work. Order what you need before you have to wait a year!

Bob, how would rate this with Ammar's Incredibble coins across?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Chris,

The routines are structurally very different. Ammar's routine is 3 coins one at a time leaving his left fist and falling out of his right hand (or out of thin air) into the spectator's cupped hands. The magic occurs in his hands and the result is dumped into the spectator's hand. It is a superb routine, it is just entirely different from mine.

My routine is 4 coins one at a time leaving the spectator's right hand and arriving in their left hand. All of the magic occurs in their hands. I am not holding the coins in my own fists and just dumping the results. They see me drop the proper number of coins into their right hand. I simply cover their hands with mine, and a coin travels. For the last coin I choose to depart from this structure to have a coin travel from my fist to their closed fist simply because I felt it was more climatic. I do present two endings. One remains true to the construct, the other is the one I just mentioned.

I just wanted to make the differences clear, as for Bob's opinion of how they rate against each other, I will let Bob answer that since you directed it to him. But it is sorta comparing apples with oranges.
Click to visit:
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
The way Dan's routine builds as each phase get better/more visual/more fair really takes the audience to a place of deep mystery

Michael's routine is now a time honored classic. I think it's excellent but to me Dan's routine is superior.
The only change I made to Dan's routine is as you would expect I added the FK Holdout to elevate the handling of the last coin.

By the way, Dan's new book is a fun read that has much more to offer the serious coinworker. If you love coins it's a must have...
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
I would just like to publicly add my praise for this book from Dan...I have already done so privately. This routine in particular is what you will be looking for to make them talk about you forever.

The clean shows in this handling are what make it so special. There are many GOOD handlings of coins across, but this one sets a new level of cleanliness.

Just to see Bob K. using it should tell you enough!

Keep the coins working,

Paul h.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Thanks again for the compliments guys. I am glad the book and this routine are being recieved so well. The routine has been a favorite of mine for a while now.

Quote:
On 2005-01-23 14:51, Bob Kohler wrote:
I added the FK Holdout to elevate the handling of the last coin.

Show off...
Click to visit:
orbit17
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of orbit17
Hi Dan - and others - just from reading this topic I will be ordering Dan's book.
I must admit on reading the heading of this topic "Which is stronger - coins across to your or spectator's hand?" I was expecting to find refrence to David Stones handlings of coins into the spectators hands as he shows a few strong examples of using this method.

Many thanks to all for the info in this topic, and to Mr Kohler thank you for your amazing contribution to coin work thus far....
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I really enjoyed David Stone's "One Way" from his 2nd video, I learned this and am still use a variation of it occasionally. This is a coins across from his left hand to a spectator's left hand.
Click to visit:
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
For those who are not up for the FK setup, there are still cheesy old things like using your sleeves, your pant cuffs, your pockts, hoo coins, and ... for the really brave... and old fashioned pull.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
...Or Dan's Holster Holdout from Coinvanish Vol. 2...
Click to visit:
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yeah, that too. A modern approach to holding out and trafic management.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Dan,

Do you find silver coins improve the ring?

Kirk G
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Kirk, I guess that is sort of off the thread topic, but I don't think coins "ring" unless you balance them on your fingertips and hit them together. In regular use they tend to clink. Softer silver coins tend to have more of a "dead" clink to them. I do like the sound and look and feel of silver better than clad coins however.
Click to visit:
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Dan,

You missed my pun. Kirk
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Kirk Sorry... I read up a few threads, I still can't figure out the pun. I am gonna need it spelled out by you or someone who caught it.
Click to visit:
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just ordered Dan's second book and he was WONDERFUl to deal with. he turned me onto Jamie for the proper coins to use for his 4 Coins, Your Hands. I've loved using Ammar's routine, but Dan's sounds so diabolical!! Thanks, Dan!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which is stronger - coins across to your or spectator's hand? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL