The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield Appearence For Portal Tour (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Supriemer
View Profile
New user
South Bend, IN
50 Posts

Profile of Supriemer
A few months ago, I saw David Copperfield's Portal Tour. I'm not sure if it is the first illusion, but it's the one where he appears in a box, after silk screens go up. I am looking for the name of this illusion (common name), and if anyone knows where I can maybe get information on building a similar device, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
"Kristopher Supriemer"

"Good things come to those who wait...but only what's left by those who hustle."
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
The one I saw him do on the Portal tour was "Motorcycle Shadow Box". The one you're describing sounds like it might be "One". That was the one he did on the Tornado of Fire special. Does it look like a big silk comes down from the ceiling and falls on a flat table and then as the silk comes up he appears? That's "One". Those are the only two I know that he's done on this tour. Smile
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
There is a white lycra covered type box that David has someone examine from the audience, even underneath by lying on a trolley. All the time there is an assistant on stage, David is talking, the man is examining. David moves into the crowd, still talking and then finally you notice that he has gone - he then appears in the box on stage.
Is that the one you are talking about? (Sorry I don't know the name). Smile
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
wow.....when did you see this?
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On 2002-08-29 12:14, Jakks wrote:
wow.....when did you see this?

It was in the show in Istanbul, Turkey three years ago ( or two - time passes so quick!).
The show was the Journey of Life ( or whatever it was called) - the show where he vanishes the 13 spectators at the end. Smile
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I saw that one too, Lee. Very cool illusion!

-Corey
Supriemer
View Profile
New user
South Bend, IN
50 Posts

Profile of Supriemer
Now that you mention it, it was with a motorcycle I think. Is that his name for the illusion? or is there a common name for those types?

Wow, I wish I would have see the one Lee and others saw. That sounds really cool!
"Kristopher Supriemer"

"Good things come to those who wait...but only what's left by those who hustle."
Magic74Josh
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
101 Posts

Profile of Magic74Josh
I saw both opening illusions, and I think that the "One" illusion was much better. Simply because of it's simplicity and impact. I saw the 13 spectator vanish, and although I was impressed by it, how many ways could you have possibly done that illusion...ya know...I am wondering what the laymen think. What was the expierence of doing it like?
Magically Yours,
Magic74Josh
Magic7Josh@aol.com
Supriemer
View Profile
New user
South Bend, IN
50 Posts

Profile of Supriemer
Does anyone know where I can find a video clip of the illusion "One"?
"Kristopher Supriemer"

Magic74Josh
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
101 Posts

Profile of Magic74Josh
If you find one, let me know, I would love to watch it over and over, maybe figure it out!
Magically Yours,
Magic74Josh
Magic7Josh@aol.com
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Not a chance. I have Tornado of fire on tape....you're not gonna figure this one out. As for the walk into the audience.....never even heard of it.

Jakks
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
The illusion called "ONE", that has been named here by serling307, is really in the Tornado Of Fire video. It is the first illusion of all, if you have the special you could see it.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
141 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
The one with the box and Copperfield in the audience is called TEST CONDITIONS
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
The motorcycle Shadow box, is actually an old illusion. It was an opening illusion for his Niagra Falls special in the early 1980's. He uses it now when the ONE illusion cannot be performed. Which means he uses the motorcycle 2/3rds of the time. What's funny is that the only part of the presentation that has changed is the music. I guess this shows you how 'timeless' his illusions are.

Chad

Quote:
On 2002-08-29 20:55, Magic74Josh wrote:
I saw both opening illusions, and I think that the "One" illusion was much better. Simply because of it's simplicity and impact. I saw the 13 spectator vanish, and although I was impressed by it, how many ways could you have possibly done that illusion? Ya know... I am wondering what the laymen think. What was the expierence of doing it like?

I was actually in 13. My wife was in the audience and got to see the actual vanish. After the show, I asked her if she had any ideas on how it was done, and she was clueless. This illusion (or any for that matter) is very deceptive. The problem with a magician judging a magic trick, is that he has knowledge that the normal person doesn't. So this makes him unqualified to judge magic. Only a bad or weak performance can lead a spectator onto the method of any given trick. This is something I learned by working in a magic shop. The simplest tricks (like Nickels to Dimes or the Penny and Dime) will baffle people, unless they own the Scotch and Soda. Then they will have some inside knowledge of magic coins and how they work. So they are not fooled. Sounds like the same thing is happening to you when you saw Copperfield perform 13.

Chad

P.S....BTW-how do you think it was done? you could be wrong! PM me and let me know.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Chadmagic, I'm just curious: being one of the vanished spectators, were you in on the illusion? I've heard that the people vanished are supposed to be as amazed as everyone else. BTW, doesn't he say that magicians can't participate? Smile I wonder what he would do if someone like Michael Ammar was in the audience and caught one of the balls when the music stopped? Would he make him sit it out?
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1345 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Its David Copperfield. Of course ammar would sit out.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
andychappy
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of andychappy
Regarding Supriemer's question, I believe the opening act he saw was the Elevator and not ONE because he mentioned something like having a box , which one doesn't used any at all.

As for leealex2002's question, it is called TEST CONDITION, created by the late Gary Ouellet.

Hope it helps
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
As andychappy has mentioned yet David Copperfield calls this illusion TEST CONDITIONS. It was originally invented by Gary Ouellet who named it Millennium Cabinet. DC owns the world-wide rights of it.
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
When DC was here in Arizona a couple months ago. I caught one of the silver balls. DC stopped and asked me to have a seat. He knew who I was. I made arguments with Amy to talk to him after the show as I do ever time I see him. So when I was walking toward the stage he was radio thru his earpiece. Or he just initially reacted because I was sitting next to Andre Kole. He is very protective of his stuff.

Mike
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-08-29 23:52, Jakks wrote:
Not a chance. I have Tornado of fire on tape....you're not gonna figure this one out. [...]

Hmmm. Well, I understood the method the instant I saw it; of course, I have a good understanding of the equipment used to accomplish that illusion.

That fact notwithstanding, I found "One" to be particularly interesting becuase it uses a very old presentation with an very modern method. Ordinarilly, methods that have existed for decades or even centuries continue to be dressed up in the latest presentation. In the case of "One", on the other hand, Copperfield took the presentation from Morritt's "Plank Illusion" (roughly 100 years old) and executed it with an entirely different method that was invented in the early 90's. I find that extremely cool.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield Appearence For Portal Tour (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL