The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
I really don't think IT levitation is really that effective. Because we all know the first thing it registers in there mind is thread. Unless your very creative. But when you do it it is no longer magic but a challege to find where the string is at. Levitation with IT to me just doesn't seem to be effective. But animation like makeing stuff stand up, fold, or spin is a bit different. Because if you do it good there are many possibilities to how it was done. But when you completely float something they will now right away that it is thread. Any thought?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I disagree, to an extent. For example, using the LeClair hookup with the floating bill, I can still run my hands above and below the bill (still have to be a bit careful), but that always blows em away. THey assume it's thread, then...maybe not!

There are always ways of getting around "issues" like this.

Don't get me wrong - animation is great, too.
But don't sell levitation short. If done well, its great, too!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1084 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>I really don't think IT levitation is
>really that effective. Because we all know
>the first thing it registers in there mind
>is thread. Unless your very creative. But >when you do it it is no longer magic but a
>challege to find where the string is at.

Ammar deals with this by suggesting something else is causing the levitation, which actually seems to work on people. Then you structure your hook-ups such that you use one method (which dispels the second method), then switch to another, which dispels the first method. End up with the object floating into their hand, and they can't piece anything together. Even just suggesting the alternative possibility is enough for most people to accept without question and they try and do it themselves.

>Levitation with IT to me just doesn't seem
>to be effective. But animation like makeing
>stuff stand up, fold, or spin is a bit
>different. Because if you do it good there
>are many possibilities to how it was done.
>But when you completely float something
>they will now right away that it is thread.

I still recall my favourite levitation & animation effect is James George's PK Pencil and Ring effect. First the pencil does PK stuff in your hand; then you float it; then you spin it WHILE floating; then you send it spinning out in front of you and slowly have it float back to you; then you float a ring.

Despite the weight of the ring, despite the movements of the pencil, despite the pencil flying out away from the magician ... most minds I don't think would accept the notion of a thread at that point.

Brian
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
Brian you do prove a point, which makes me happy you didn't leash out at me like some people do. Because I did say it wouldn't be that cool unless you were creative. Sometimes I would like to perform a levitation for someone even if they know how its done because it would look cool.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1084 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>Sometimes I would like to perform a
>levitation for someone even if they know
>how its done because it would look cool.

A few people came up to me after I did the PK pencil and ring and said, "Well, I KNOW it's GOTTA be done with string ..."

Does that diminish from the effect? Humans aren't stupid, of course they're going to justify it somehow. You may run into the odd fool who believes it's real, just like some people thought David Blaine's levitation was legit! "Oh, he must be a very spiritual person ..." They believe because they want to believe.

If the hook-up is clever enough to let you do unusual things that nobody else can do (spinning the pencil while hovering, throwing it a metre away from you, etc), I think you give people a wonderment they probably haven't experienced since they were looking at the world through a child's eyes.

Same thing can be said for PK effects (it's gotta be a m****t) or metal-bending or palming coins or forcing cards. Sure, but it's entertaining and fascinating. Afterwards, they can justify it as much as they want, but that can't take away from the fact that it looked cool. And IT, in my opinion, can generate the most primal response from people. If you could go back in time and do this stuff in the Middle Ages, people would make you their King.

Brian
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
Yeah thats I was saying. It looks so cool who cares hows it done but how awesome it looks.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
The levitation wasn't real? He's not really a spiritual person? Crap!
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
When ever I use my Mark Allen TM, I explain that I need some static electricty. I only say that to them because It's a perfect explanation as to what they are seeing.

I'll rub my hands together rapidly and weird things begin to happen. Cups move across tables, pencils stand up, rubberbands fold over, things stick to my hand. I hardly ever cause things to foat. If I do make a dollar bill float, I'll ask for them to rub their hands too. It causes "more" static electricty and have them put their hands near mine as I cause the bill to float for a few seconds. They will think the more the static electricty, the more strange things occur.

But if you just animate in-animate objects without a reasonable explanation, people look for the thread.
Hope this helps.
I know you people out there have great explainations too. This is just what I use. Works everytime. Smile Smile
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
Yeah i've tried that and it works. People believe it. Even when I saw it that is the way it was presented and I believed.
spherie
View Profile
New user
Germany
52 Posts

Profile of spherie
quote: "If you could go back in time and do this stuff in the Middle Ages, people would make you their King." unquote

...or they would burn you. Unless you could levitate from the stake. Smile

Cheers,

Spherie
Timotheous
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Timotheous
I have an effect that will be published next month.... that uses a 'new principle'...

And can be combined with other thread hookups/gimmiks...

The reason I have even mentiond this is the fact that it will blow magicians minds until they learn the principle..

Imagine if you will that you animate an object without hand jestures, head bobbing, turning, etc... youre as still as can be.. but yet the object animates.. (no assistants either)

If it'll blow magicians minds then the general public will be fried!!!

Later
Tim
Check out my first release!
"Timotheous Paradox"
http://www.cardmsg.com/magicfxshop/timotheous-paradox.htm
"Magic is real! We performers use tools to tap the magic that's within all of us" -Timotheous
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
That sounds awesome you'll get somewhere with an act like that. That would practically kill the thought of thread if nothing is moving in order for the thread to move.
Timotheous
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Timotheous
thanks gimmick

Drop over to Kevin James' board and look in the 'for sale and trade' section.. I have posted a couple of the effects.

:)

Tim
Check out my first release!
"Timotheous Paradox"
http://www.cardmsg.com/magicfxshop/timotheous-paradox.htm
"Magic is real! We performers use tools to tap the magic that's within all of us" -Timotheous
samthemagical
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
90 Posts

Profile of samthemagical
I use the static idea, with one wax on my glasses. Whatever you are levitating goes wherever you look! You can make the 'static' lok incredibly real. As the 'charge' runs out, the object hangs on your fingers and the drops into your other hand. By the time you have a chain of people touching you, to increase the 'charge,' the levitation is obvously two electric poles repelling each other.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL