The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Walmart? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Great ideas, thanks for getting the creative juices flowing.
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
Out of the craft dept I would grab some large metal rings and some super glue and cobble together a set of linking rings; enough rope for a rope routine; cards (for manipulations); posterboard (for jumbo cards - this is a stage show after all); some fruit for bill/card in lemon; a big art pad, markers and *********** for that dadgum rising card drawing trick that I can't remember the name of to save my life; and some of the other things that have already appeared on this list

Azrael

OH...WAIT!....and a big watermellon and a briefcase (and some netting) to pull it out of as an opener!
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
sbroomheadsr
View Profile
New user
Retired, so I only have
59 Posts

Profile of sbroomheadsr
For the escapes, go to the pet dept and get a choke chain collar. I use those all of the time.
S Broomhead
MrMagic1
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MrMagic1
I would get some paper and cards and do some mentalism. I'd also get some chains and rope and do some escapes. Then do some ball manipulations with golf balls.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Well, the Christmas closeouts will go on sale at WalMart Monday. What will you search for for magic?

I will look for battery operated lights and remote controlled extension cords.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Bob,

I would have to say that Walmart is one of my favorite magic shops.

And for all you guys who don't like Walmart because of their vastness, before Walmart came along, you had Sears and people said the same thing about them. We all have seen the demise of Sears because the company lost contact with their customer and I see the same thing happening to Walmart. It is the nature and cycle of business.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I've noticed that WalMart could not sell all the clear ball Christmas tree decorations they stocked. Next week they will disappear from the store. There have to be uses for those for magicians! What are they?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Crazy mans hand cuffs. Gypsy thread.

Could any of the livestock workers grab some birds and hamsters, and a sewing machine? Or do the animals need conditioning?

It seems to me anything short of gaffed coins and trick boxes, could be purchased.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Are you kidding? Wal-mart is just as good as a magic supply shop. Especially to those with creative minds.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tomorrow is Valentines. Guess how many hearts will be sale priced!

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
438 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
I love "what if" scenarios like this.
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Rope, thin thread, a bracelet or a large ring and scissors for rope through body going into a ring on rope routine and then cut and restored rope. 10-12 minutes right there.

Cards, paper bag, knife and poster putty for an ambitious card followed by a card stab in a paper bag.

Some chain, a lock, chain extender links(screw-type caribeaner), and a large handkerchief for comedy Siberian chain escape.

Pen, paper, and cards for a one ahead routine.

Pail and some half dollars from the bank inside walmart (at least my local one has a bank inside) for misers dream.
-Matt
Russell Scoggin
View Profile
Loyal user
Lubbock, Texas
257 Posts

Profile of Russell Scoggin
Well this situation happened to me one time because someone had actually stole my large case out of my car while I was in Wal Mart of all places. Anyway, I had to start thinking quick because the show was in just 4 hours from when I realized my case was gone. I purchased balloons for the borrowed bill in balloon effect, I actually had time to make a "Wizard's Manual" effect from Doc Hilford. I made a makeshift "Dangle Book" that Dick Zimmerman puts out and I did an "add a number effect with it. I bought rope and sissors and did my version of the professors nightmare and also a cut & restored rope routine. I purchased toilet paper and did the paper balls over the head ala Tony Curtis. I purchased a couple of Inquirers and some rubber cement for Joel Bauer's version of torn & restored newspaper (which at first, I wasn't sure if I could remember the right set up for it-but it worked out great) I purchased 5 decks of cards and made a tossed out deck effect ala Wayne Dobson and also card on seat by Chuck Fayne. I did a floating bill effect because I always carry the string with me in my wallet. And I put together a routine on the fly which I won't give away. Although it was for adults, I did use a lunchbox, crayons and a kids coloring book. Then several principals and ideas from different entertainers that actually turned out to be a really good routine. People were even talking about it after my show. I didn't time my show, because of putting it together on the fly didn't leave me time to time it, but it ended up being over an hour long show. So I know for a fact that it can be done since I've experienced it myself. Also I know there is a mental act that is by Max Maven that can be done pretty much on the fly. The info is on Max Maven's DVD called "Nothing". Anyway, a lot of people have great ideas on this subject, but I guarantee you, if you ever get caught in a situation like this and it's either get paid or not, then you'll come up with something.
MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
I was struck by this recently in Oz - the stores in question were Bunnings (big hardware chain) and OfficeWorks, and the tricks I produced were:
Cardiographic (the original was in my luggage)
Bank night (the tip was in my pocket)
And a cascade prediction into a locked safe (they were on special for $99 at Bunnings) at the endo of which I gave the safe to the spectator as a souveneer - which got a huge laugh. (the show fee was good enough, and I didn't ant to lug it home)
Luggage was waiting at the hotel when I got back. grrrr.
SolitarySoul
View Profile
New user
Doylestown, PA
60 Posts

Profile of SolitarySoul
Fun "what if" thread - in addition to what's been mentioned, I'd buy some napkins for a napkin tear I learned in Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic.

Between rope, cards, napkins, newspapers, magazines (book test), sponges, balls, envelopes, etc, there's easily a whole show (or two) in WalMart.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Except for the myth that stuff is "made in the USA", I'd go to the camping department and use the pup tents to make a shadow box illusion. Tons of square circle stuff, zombie balls in the plumbing department ala Karson.
Tambo coils from the fabric department, mouth coils, fire production boxes, flash pots...oops, that's what I make now from Walmart.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Zombie Ball? I'd go to fabrics and crafts and get a medium-sized foam ball and a square of fabric from the remnants basket. (Not certain if the gimmick could be devised from something in fabrics and crafts or if I'd have to go to hardware!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Coat hanger, flat black paint, plastic silver ball or in a pinch, styrofoam ball and a fabric foulard and your have a basic Zombie set up.

Some simple levitations/thread effects are always great standbyes.

Doug
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Magnets
2" shower curtain rings ( the solid ones of course and just take off the clips)
#2 pencils or chopsticks for ring on stick
Don't forget the sharpie
Boy this is like Iron Chef but for magicians.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Fishing line and a large rubber band for haunted deck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Walmart? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL