The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Walmart? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
[quote]On 2004-11-08 20:28, Bob Sanders wrote:
But David and Cynthia,

My act does come from WalMart!

I have used the clothesline for over twenty-five years. It is my favorite magic rope!

Bob,
Really? The same rope for 25 years. Isn't it worn out and dirty after 25 years? (lol)
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
What's EMT?
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
This really happened to me in Tempe, Arizona quite a few years ago. I was sitting by myself in a Japanese restaurant, reading Kaplan's The Fine Art of Magic. I was in Tempe on a business trip, and I wasn't carryig any props. The waitress interrupted me and asked if I was a magician. (She'd seen the title of the book!) Upon hearing my positive reply, she took me to the manager of the place. The manager explained that there was a party going on in one of the private rooms, and the magician that the restaurant had hired for this special event had just called and was unable to perform. She asked if I could help out.

I stepped out the front door, and looked up and down the street. There was a Walgreens store a few doors down. I went in and quickly bought:

A couple of decks of cards
A Sharpie
A metal container (a planter of some kind)
Rope
Cheap pair of scissors
Safety pins
Thread
And a roll of quarters as $10 in change!

I did a show that included a a card set (with Haunted Pack and Ambitious Card), a nice rope sequence, and the Miser's Dream. The audience was incredibly receptive and enthusiastic. (I'm not sure if the manager told them about the other magician not showing up.) As I'm writing about this, the feeling that I had then is the same as the feeling that I'm having right now: total exhileration!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Quote:
On 2004-11-19 12:45, BarryFernelius wrote:
As I'm writing about this, the feeling that I had then is the same as the feeling that I'm having right now: total exhileration!

I don't blame you...what an inspiring story!

Thank you for sharing it!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2004-11-19 12:13, Starrpower wrote:
What's EMT?

EMT is the steel tubing (pipe) used to protect electrical wires. It is very cheap, comes in 10' lengths, and very useful in stage magic. It will cut with a small tubing cutter and there are many joints available to make it into a giant tinker toy project. The 1/2" fits Eureka table bases. The 3/4" is the most useful in general. Here a 10' piece will sell for $1.75-$6.00 depending on who saw you coming. It makes great stands, curtain rods, flag poles, etc.

Lucy and I couldn't have a stage show with out it.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
As for EMT:

Would it be what I would call conduit?

And can I assume, then, that the stuff has been replaced by PVC tubing and that's why it's no longer available?

And, for those few who think this is a hypothetical question and no "real" magician would do this: think again! Re-read my earlier post and those of others who, for whatever reason, HAD to do this. As for my situation, I had a long-term contract with the cruise line, and I couldn't just "not do" the show. I think that the fact that we were still able to perform under these conditions is a testiment to our abilities and professionalism, not evidence to the contrary.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2004-11-19 22:38, Starrpower wrote:
As for EMT:

Would it be what I would call conduit?

And can I assume, then, that the stuff has been replaced by PVC tubing and that's why it's no longer available?

Yes, conduit is another name for it. However, it is readily available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. PVC is not a total replacement. It is cheaper! PVC breaks under stress. Conduit bends.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Payne writes: "It appears that I'm another senseless victim of spellcheck."

Sorry, I didn't realize that spellcheck also destroyed one's sense of humor! <G>
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
What?
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Woolworth is still strong in the UK and Germany....

I would go to Walmart, buy a gallon of water, pay with a 10-Dollar-Bill, and then, with the change, I would perform a little bit of coin magic.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
HowDini
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of HowDini
Multiplying Toasters
Question: How did you do that?
Reply: No! How did you didn't do that, HowDini did that.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
I bought some fake apples to juggle with, some fake peppers possibly for fire eating, and two 12 inch gold rings...i can cut one open and search for that two-ring routine I hear everyone talking about Smile.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Something else we get from Walmart FREE are 5-gallon buckets from the bakery department. Lucy does a giant cups and balls with them. They also make good containers on the road for carrying things, ditching things, or just a place to sit.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Bob, do you buy WalMart's stock? You should Smile

Posted: Jan 9, 2005 3:44am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I forgot to mention get the napkin tissue, rubber cement and make the paper hat tear.
bnadworn
View Profile
Regular user
Western New York
131 Posts

Profile of bnadworn
When I was younger I was once asked to do a show for some people at a gathering I was attending. I got some styrofoam cups and rolled some wet tissue paper into balls and dried them and was able to do cups and balls on the spot. For the final load you can really use anything available. Use rocks if you need to (Hey this trick really rocks!).

You could buy some ropes and do an escape, cheap silverware and do spoon bending, and cards are good for a few hours anyway. There is always the kids "magic" kits available <grin>. You too can become a magician. Smile

Another thing you can buy (just though of it) is some chap sticks and do a cigarette routine making them appear and disappear and pull them out from everywhere.

I guess I probably wouldn't even need to go to the store since there are so many everyday items already around everywhere that can be part of the show.

- Brian Nadworny
"They say the hand is quicker than the eye but I won't believe it until I see it."
steves7
View Profile
Regular user
Blue Springs, Missouri
114 Posts

Profile of steves7
You guys are something else. I couldn't imagine having to run down to Wal-mart and get enough stuff to do a show with. I would say that only a portion of my tricks could be replicated at Wal-mart. I am truly impressed. It makes me want to get more diversified!
Atown88
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, MA
49 Posts

Profile of Atown88
I'd buy some cards a couple of ropes and maybe a handkerchief.
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
You can find the parts for a fine vanishing milk tumbler.
woodenmarvels
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of woodenmarvels
Quote:
On 2004-11-01 10:44, Payne wrote:
Well, since my ethical code won't allow me to step into a Walmart, I suppose I'd have to go to the closest Hardware store that Walmart hadn't put under and buy a sponge and some scissors and make sponge balls.

With some sheet metal, contact paper and some flat magnetic sheeting you could cobble together a What's Next.

The Plumbing department, with the aid of a hole saw, could provide you with a Shanghai Shackle Illusion.

A stationary store can supply you with everything to make a Technicolour Prediction board.

We have the same ethical code. I am a vendor and Wal-Mart treats us like common criminals and low lifes. I have to service them but do not shop them. Any magic ideas to make Wal-Mart dissappear?
Magic is all around us, everywhere, every day. If you would just open your eyes to see it, you would be truly amazed.
Visit my world of automata at: http://www.members.aol.com/churchmouseabc/
~MagicAl
b-gann
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of b-gann
Well I too have to say I would not shop in a walmart because I feel that they are single handedly killing the world. I have found that you can get a lot of magic ideas walking through hobby lobby or any other craft store. I have made a silk production cage and I am thinking about ideas for a giant card rise.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Walmart? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL