The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Baker DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Myself and my friend Rich have had great fun the last few days watching this DVD.

I will simply say others should see this too.

First, it is always interesting to watch a pro "grow" into this role. Watching Steve work week after week is an interesting study in theater and presentation, and Steve's own journey and growth as an escape artist.

Also, and I will only say this once as I plan on using it. To see his interesting presentation angle with the wrist tie, and how he "sells" it is worth the price of the DVD.

Read that again, I was on the floor when I saw it and turned to my friend and said "You thought I was the king of BS (read that as bold presentations)! I just lost the crown!"

I would not worry about methods people, worry about showmanship and presentation.

This DVD will show you how a master did it.

Mark Tripp

PS: I am not now, nor have I ever been Steve Baker....

PPS: Having seen his wife on the tape, I REALLY wish I had been Steve Baker.....

PPPS: Can't think of another silly line....
Don Randini
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Don Randini
How many others have seen this DVD?

Don
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Don't know how many spent the $100 for the DVD.

I don't believe many have.

But I stand behind my review.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I thought the DVD was $110.00 hey maybe it went down Smile
Don Randini
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Don Randini
It was kind of high priced to begin with. maybe a double dvd is worth that much but for only 7 clips according to the website kind of expensive.

Don
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Great minds think alike.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
I leave the great minds to their own opinions.

I say again, even $110 is a small price to pay for a performance routine touch that sells a bit.

But

This is from someone who has made a living at this for over 30 years, so my way of thinking might be different from others.
Don Randini
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Don Randini
You been an escape artist for 30 years?

Don

When was the last time anyone seen steve baker doing anything? curious because his site does not show anything current.some stories and and old video from like 15-20 years ago. is he out there again?

Don
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
I have made my full time living as a performer for over 30 years. That includes magic, illusions, comedy, legit theater/musical theater, and educational entertainment.

During that time I have been an escape artist, taking out an full evening show called "Houdini Lives Again".

The simple truth is I could make more money as a comic than the college market was willing to pay a "Houdini show" so went where the money was.

Over the years I have done it from time to time. Norm has seen the tape of it; and Sid Radner said it was the greatest theater presentation of escapes he ever saw.

quote]
On 2004-11-01 21:46, Don Randini wrote:
When was the last time anyone seen steve baker doing anything? curious because his site does not show anything current.some stories and and old video from like 15-20 years ago. is he out there again?

Don
[/quote]

When was the last time we saw Mark Wilson doing anything?

Are you aware that NO elementary school child I have spoken to in the last 3 months has ANY idea who David Copperfield is?

But what is the point?

The very fact that most people today have not seen Steve is reason enough to get the DVD.

It is a learning experience.

I go to Le Grand David at least once a year, for the same reason.

I saw Blackstone just as often and had my shirt pulled more than anyone.

Now, when the current crop of up and coming escape artists are on network TV 10 times or more, then they will have something to show others as well.

I am eagerly awaiting their new and exciting manner to present this traditional art.
Don Randini
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Don Randini
Do you know of anyone coming up?

Don
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The last time I saw Mark Wilson was at a Houdini convention back in august of 2003. he was selling lecture notes and tapes from his tv series he did back in the 1960's as for David Copperfield. I seen him live a few years ago way back. but why isn't he on tv any more. as for steve baker it was fun watching him on weds night live but why did weds night live stop.
Don Randini
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Don Randini
Did steve baker doing anything else besides dick clark?

Don
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Back then I only seen him on dick clark but who knows he might of.
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
During his career Steve Baker appeared on TV many many times.

He chalked up 32 hours worth of television footage, including appearances on Dick Clark's LIVE Wedneday, That's Incredible, Games People Play, his own HBO Special hosted by Tony Curtis, The Worlds Greatest Escape Artists, his own hour long specials in Japan, South America and Mexico.

He's also been on numerous other shows from the Magic Palace, Magic Castle, Magic Awards, Celebrity Review, Guiness Game Show, Magical Mystical Halloween, including several other variety shows. The list goes on and on!!

No other Living Escape Artist or since the days of Harry Houdini, have had more International exposure than Steve Baker.

If someone can show otherwise and provide the documentation, I'd like to hear about it!!

Red Von
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
I certainly agree with Mr.Tripp that the DVD is very good and easily worth the money (by the way Mark say "hi" to Richard from me, I have some pictures I want to send him from Houdini Days)
I'm also in contact with Steve Baker usually several times a week and even though Steve's body of work is unparalleled I can safely say that Steve is not quite finished and hasn't hung up his handcuffs yet (so to speak). Steve has stayed away from performing publically for several years because of an accident that left him badly injured. But he still performs weekly at the local Veterans Hospital as well as other local venues in his home town. He also has big plans to return to the world of escapology in the coming year. So keep an eye out boys and girls, for the return of Mr. Escape. I for one cannot wait.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Quote:
On 2004-11-01 21:54, Don Randini wrote:
Do you know of anyone coming up?

Don

Well, there is a TON of talent in this room.

Sadly there are not enough places to play and get good to match it.

I really think the next top level EA needs to be a woman.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I think Red Von will be the next top EA so that meens there will be a woman at the top !
Don Randini
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Don Randini
Now I'm really confused

Don

Either I have missed something.. it looks like we went from asking questions and making comments to now name calling. still confused.

Don
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Have just received the Steve Baker DVD and Posters. Mr Baker is not really known over here which is a shame for I firmly believe that in his hey day he would have hit the UK by storm. Even by todays standards and demands in the entertainment field Mr Baker could hold his own with the best.
His style (Natural) Was refreshing and not at all pompus, the rappor between his assistant (Wife) Was a joy to behold and came across as real rather than staged, his escapes were stage managed by an expert crew, faultless in delivery and presentation, the entertainment content (Most important of all) Could be seen in the faces of the lay public and that`s what it`s all about.
Obvious that Mr Baker has done his apprenticeship and through hard slog made a grade any ea would be proud to achieve.
There are no exposures, no secrets given away which is refreshing.
There has been comment on the price asked, I consider the content from an archive point of view to be as important as any data related to the art and presentation of escapology that I have ever seen, and I have seen most.I think its worth the price asked.
Asked to compare Mr Baker with any other ea would be silly, Mr Baker is his own man with his own style, not to be copied but to learn from.
So to sum up, I am very pleased with my purchase, thank you Steve Baker.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
You know...I can understand people not listening to me. After all, I'm really nobody and haven't done anything significant yet for this art. But when well respected, seasoned veterans of the art like Mark Tripp and Kondini both agree the Baker DVD is well worth the price, maybe you folks out there who haven't ordered it yet should listen. It's human nature to procrastinate. I myself kept putting off seeing the Radner Houdini collection at the Appleton Museum. I thought that I would always have the opportunity. I didn't see Sigfried and Roy's show when I was in Vegas a few years ago. I thought that I would always have the opportunity. Chances are Mr. Baker's DVD will be available for sometime, but my new philosophy is to strike while the iron is hot. So to all those who have yet to order this landmark DVD, please take my advice, but more importantly the advice of Ken and Mark and get this DVD. You will not be disappointed.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Baker DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL