We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Bill in Lemon options? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1462 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Can you justify a $10,000 box that cuts a woman in half and takes about 2 minutes start to finish.

Some folks can.

If so...Then I think that a full 10 minute stage routine, with full patter and presentation, with multiple methods and two additional routines for parlor and close up, plus 2 and a half hours of video instruction, plus and online support forum, and a precision made gaff, not to mention a method that has fooled laymen and some heavy hitting magicians as well sounds like it just might a good deal at 395 bucks.

Sorry, but it just kills me that people think TFA is just about getting a bill into a lemon. Any idiot with a pointy stick can put a bill in a lemon.

FIN
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
liljay510
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
102 Posts

Profile of liljay510
Anyone know of a good way of introducing the lemon....I have thought cups and balls...then there is the bill Malone lemon from shoe...anyone have any other ideas...I am looking more towards the lemon being a part of an effect either following or right before you get a signed bill into play.
No matter How much you know you can never stop learning.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1143 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Quote:
On 2005-01-24 02:58, Scott Alexander wrote:

Sorry, but it just kills me that people think TFA is just about getting a bill into a lemon. Any idiot with a pointy stick can put a bill in a lemon.

FIN

That's the problem Scott. Half the people knocking TFA have no idea what the heck they're talking about. It is not a $395 gaff. It is an entire treatsie on performing the Bill to Lemon. Why this one effect is questioned is mind boggling.

To put it in perspective, people will spend a couple hundered dollars to buy a nice set of cups and balls, and then buy videos and books to study different methods. When all is said and done, you have probably spent close to $500. Or we buy a "2 dollar" deck of cards, but over the course of years, hundreds of dollars on books, videos, lecture notes, etc. to figure out how many different things you can do with a deck of cards.

The teaching on the TFA DVD's in unprecedented. Various ways of loading a lemon. Various methods of prepping a lemon. Various options besides a lemon (orange, bananna, kiwi, apple, etc.) Various routines, (close-up, stage, strolling, etc) And the access to the forums is even better. Dan Watkins contributions of the coupons was great. (Sorry, membership has it's privileges).

Look...I will never knock the Spill/Eason version. As Scott has said, that effect is the shoulders we stand on. I learned that version in the Spring of 1991 and it served me well every night for 3 years as a bartender. Heck, that one effect got me my job as a bartender. Was it great??? Of course. Can TFA enhance it? Of course. Maybe it's not for you, but it is for me. Imagine doing the Spill/Eason method, but allowing the spectator to take the lemon out of the bag, or letting the spectator cut open the lemon, or letting the spectator take his pick of any lemon in the bowl, and immediately cut open that object and find their bill.

Look...if you love your $2 thumb tip version..fine...more power and lots of success to you. But for those of us enhancing our act, leave us be to entertain, rock the audience, and make our living in peace. I personally have spent over $1000 to find the perfect bill to lemon routine to make my own. I make my money off that one effect. Case in point, I flew to Arkansas to do a corporate show last weekend. I had 20 minutes to perform and featured my bill to lemon routine. After the show, I was invited behind the bar at the country club to continue entertaining some of the corporate execs. Did the Bill in Lemon again, by demand. Yesterday, I got an e-mail from the owner of the country club "who saw me showing off in the bar" and "loved the bit with the lemon." Wants to know how much it would cost to bring me back to do a golf outing in May. You know what...more than the $395 it cost me for the ultimate training program on the bill to lemon.

Now...if I could just get that lemon to float out of the bag and cut itself open.......wait...that would be overkill.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Well, I don't have TFA, but I do have U3F ( Kohler product) so I think I can say this.

If you saw Scott perform this effect and were as knocked out as the crowd and went back stage and asked him to teach it to you and he said

"well, there is a gimmick, but that only part of it. I can give you some private lessons so that you can perform it just like I do".

Hmmm. Would you pay $1000 for lesson? $2000?

TFA with it's instructional DVD's is a steal.

I don't do a bill to lemmon in my work right now ( used to to the Eason/Spill version ), but am thinking of changing that because of this effct. Just like I didn't do a 3 FLY until I got U3F.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1462 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
The real value of TFA is not the prop, although, Thomas has done an excepional job of crafting it. The real value lies in the prep of the lemon, and the various routines and ruses involved in doing the dirty work. Granted the prop is cruical in some of the work, but not all. Anyone who does BIL would have something to gain from TFA.

Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
I've been performing the Mark Wilson version lately and although I am rather fond of it this topic has given me some other sources to checkout. Thanks

Mr. Biro Good to see Fielding West mentioned, I got to meet him last year, he really is a nice guy and a great performer, more magicians should know about him!

Tom
implicit
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of implicit
This effect is definitely worth $395, considering each time you take a $100 bill from the audience member and turn it into a $1 bill when it comes out of the lemon you've already made $99
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Hi everyone - I think it really does not matter if you pay 400 bucks or 10 bucks for an effect. That being said, I won't pay 400 dollars for a signed bill to lemon trick. I have Bill Mallon's and Doc Eason's dvds on this subject. Bill's style does not fit my routine and Doc's requires up to 4 audiences holding props, etc. What I have found to be the most effective routine is Rudy Hunter's Vitamin C. It costs about $10.00 and I performance tested it and nobody can figure it out how I did it. One best selling point is that the audience freely selected a lemon from a bag of lemons and then the selected lemon is cut open with the spectator's signed bill in it. It's a total fooler and a wonderfully executed routine that's a joy to perform!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I've also been using Mark Wilson's version of the bill in lemon. And I think it plays pretty well. At least for me. But for me it really doesn't matter how much a trick costs. It's your investment. If you think that the trick will make you a better magician then go on buy it. It's not like you'll be shouting over people's heads saying "hey I got a bill in lemon routine for $400!"
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
thejohn171
View Profile
New user
Elsewhere
34 Posts

Profile of thejohn171
Mark Wilson is a great version. We are talking the one from his Book Correct? If so, yes, it works well I think. Anothre gem from his book is the routine with the bill and chapstick. that's groovy to. But back to the little signed piece of currency into a freely selected citrus fruit lol. Magic Makers has a DVD called "Bill in Kiwi" which I personally do not own, but was show how it works and it also looked really good when I saw it being done.

John!
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
I really like the lemon game. However, I always modify the cards and patter depending on the situation. I can easily print and new cards in jumbo or poker size with different pictures and words to match a corporate audience.
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Well, since no one mentioned it I will. Mesikas bill in lemon. I have used it for years and continue to use it. The whole thing works great for my pickpocket act. However, when doing my normal show with pretty girl and all I use a much differen't method that cost a total of a lemon and a few envelopes per show. That version is all about routining nothing to do with props or tricks from our perspective.

sickmagic
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think a new version is needed. Not a $400 version and not a $1.95 version. We need a worker that is willing to tip his mitt as it were, with a new version at a reasonable price that everyone can start using. Is that wishful thinking on my part? Maybe, but I think it's out there and in time will happen.

Why would I pose this? Well...the TT is an item that keeps getting released as an expensive item that is supposed to make magi comfortable that's it's hidden, so they can start to use it. Along comes Alex De Cova with "Examining The TT" DVD and it revolutionized, IMHO, this device and you can use your basic Vernet TT.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
MagicChris,
I tend to agree, and the funny thing is I have been asked to release my bill in lemon. The actual cost of my version is about 33 dollars to get going and that is enough for many shows. I am not sure if I am going to release it yet. It does involve a gimmick, can be used close up, or stage(I use it for stage when I do my normal show). It isn't something that is revelusionary, however it is practical and works. I am not trying to pitch this as I haven't even decided if I am going to release it. I do think you are right, a lot of people can't or don't want to spend that kind of money. I do think though that Scotts version is cleaver and well worth the asking price. You are paying like he said for a routine not just a gimmick. So keep in mind that there is a flip side to everything. Masika's bill in lemon routine when you buy is not very good, however the gimmick and the workings are great but that is a 60 dollar version verses a 400 dollar one. So there is a trade off, for those of you that are creative with your routining then by all means there should be less expensive ways to do this.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
a new version at a reasonable price that EVERYONE CAN START USING.

Oh yeah, that would be great.
mcvicarthetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis, MO
115 Posts

Profile of mcvicarthetrickster
I'm producing my bill and giving it to an audience member at the beginning of my show and I'm going to produce the bill from that lemon. Which technique would be better? The Sanders version? The THA version? or something else?
stepp6670
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of stepp6670
I am a bartender.. I am working on a way to do this behind the bar. I never wear long sleeves. If you have any good ideas please pm me

thank you
joey stepp

http://www.steppshowbartending.com
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
147 Posts

Profile of gamma105
Have you guys seen Ammar's Bill in the *healed* lemon? I don't know the exact name of the routine, I happen to be the only person at the parlor show who has a $100 bill, and I was fried to the bone....here's the effect:
1. He borrowed a $100 bill from me, and I signed the bill
2. he fold it up, destroyed it
3. He went on with his cups and balls routine
4. intermittantly, he'll say, Steve, don't worry, I didn't forget about your $20 dollar bill.. then he said $10, and at last, $1.
5. After he was done with the cups and balls, he had me walk up to the stage, he told the spectator to hand him the lemon that the spectator was holding.
6. He cuts open the lemon and shows the bill, and handed me the bill for signature confirmation.
7. after confirmation, I started to fold the bill, he said, oh since you are folding it, here, why don't YOU put it inside the lemon, and I did.
8. he then replace the top half of the lemon onto the lower half with the bill.
9. then he ran his fingers around the *cut*, and it was *healed* with no cuts.
10. handed me the lemon with a knife, and told me to cut it in half, and I took out my signed bill.
it's at this point, I stood there with my mouth open like an idiot while everyone was giving a standing ovation.

Does anyone know if he ever released that routine?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6898 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thanks for describing that routine. I had heard of it but never knew the specifics. Sounds great!
Chicagomagi
View Profile
New user
Riverside, IL
89 Posts

Profile of Chicagomagi
I'm not 100% sure but I think that Ammar's Bill to Healed Lemon is on his most recent lecture notes.

For a fun, relatively simple, strong version, I have to recommend Bill Malone's. It rocks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Bill in Lemon options? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL