The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best of Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I purchased Best of Sankey 1,2 yesterday for review.
I was considering adding them to my website if I thought they were "worthy".

Not bad. Actually good. Quite good.

But... I've heard great things about "Back in Time" and was waiting to watch it with great anticipation.

The trick is great. His presentation was lousy.

I watched another magician perform this effect for his girlfriend several months ago and he did such a great job. He was not some great magician or anything but he did it with care. Jay just blew through the effect with little care. I was very surprised. Jay did mention how important it was for a specific display to be fixed into the spectator's mind but when the moment re-appeared, he was going 100 mph and the defining moment in the effect (the reason the trick has it's name) was lost. what the....
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Volume 2 of the Best of Sankey is kind of weak with the exception of Back in Time.

I might have liked The Secret Files a little better
Drive Carefully
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I am still having trouble associating the word "best" with Sankey............
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
The thing that struck me the mmost was how his weird sense of humor got some people uncomfortable in the audience, he was a bit to "wacky" during the shoot.

You can see that some audience members are thinking "where does he come from???" or
"What??? Oh, yeah, do not forget to laugh and smile for Luois (Falanga)".

Don't get me wrong Jay can be very funny, but sometimes too much is not the best.

my 2 cents

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Just a couple of items in response. The effect that Frank mentions is a wonderful gift, when properly given, as it was when Frank and I saw it performed - by an amateur, in an outdoor Café setting, for his girlfriend, now fiance. I mean, it killed. Jay, as has already been mentioned, was a bit manic during this section of the DVD, and the effect definitely sufferred. Rob, I wanted to add something here about Jay Sankey. I have never been what one would call his greatest fan. I have the DVD's in question, I received them as a gift. I thought that I probably had just about all of the Jay Sankey material that I would ever need. Just about six or so weeks ago, Jay Sankey was in Sacramento doing a lecture. Well, it had been awhile since Magic Live, and I was sorta bored, and well, one thing led to another. I was glad I went. I met a much more mature Jay Sankey, one who was much more cerebral, and who was much easier to watch. I purchsed his newest book, by the way, he warned the buyers that there were no tricks enclosed, and I enjoy the book very much. I also purchased his DVDs on cards (Revolutionary Card Magic), and picked up some great tips. Not just on effects, but on the pass and other items. I write all of that to say this: at some point in our magic, we were all young. Some of us came upon maturity first, and magic second, some of us, the other way. I'll not speak for anyone else, but I will say this - I believe people are selling Jay Sankey short. He is a thinking magician, and aside from a business decision or two, I cannot fault his magic. He is still giving me things to think about, and there is a shortage of that sort of thing. I am in no way affiliated with Jay Sankey, or Penguin Magic, just a surprisingly satisfied customer.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Amen to that! You don't have to like Sankey's magic/comedic personality in order to learn a few, if not a ton of great ideas that you can incorporate into your own style, or magic persona. Sometimes I find him annoying, sometimes entertaining. There is a big difference between watching someone on tapes, or demos than interacting with them in real life.

One thing I have never been while watching Sankey is bored. I cannot say the same about a lot of other magic videos. Sure that is not the point of the dvd, but being entertaining while presenting educational content always helps in holding ones attention a little more than just crawling through it without much enthusiasm. I guess that is why I slept through history class, but not art, or phys ed. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hi Mark.

The guy we watched really sold the moment and the impact was great.
Who knew I'd like a trick with the slop shuffle.

(Next thing you know, I'll be doing a spelling trick)

Anyway, I think Jay is one of the most creative guys out there. Great ideas. Great thinking.

Flooding the market with tricks is not so impressive and his sense of humor is off-beat but whatever.

It just seemed that he made a big mistake during the presentation. He usually cares about the moment. For some reason, not that time.

And come to think of it, he also was doing the shuffle as he was saying "one for mommy, one for daddy..."

Horrible. What the he77 does that have to do with going .... "Back in Time"?

The good news is that it frees my mind to come up with my own presentation. At least I know what NOT to do.

Jay is definitely a thinker. But what was he thinking....?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Frank,
Exactly. I suspect that trying to keep a manic personality going for an entire day of performing is a real stretch. Just trying to stay 'on' for the length of a show can be work enough, depending on your character, but I wouldn't care to take on the work that he must put in. By the way, about the flooding the market thing, I heartily agree. Just because people will buy things with your name on them doesn't mean you *should* sell them. I have to admit, I am not familiar with most of the day to day effects that he sells, because I am not what you'd call his regular customer base (I'm about thirty years too old for that market share.) With that in mind, I cannot speak with any authority about the quality of the effects sold under his name. Imagine though, with as fertile a mind as he owns, Michael Weber selling everything that might come to mind! Now *that* would be a large inventory of really quirky stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best of Sankey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL