The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » DAN and DAVE DVD SYSTEM ! who has this, what do you think ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kay
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Kay
Wondering if who got this DVD already, what do you think about it ? anyone please give me a short review. I make new thread because all I heard was from the trailer only, not the actual DVD. Thanks
Anarchist
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Anarchist
I didn't like it that much. The teaching was terrible. They only teach from the front. And many of the things you have to approach it as if it was a Brian Tudor product, start rewinding/playing it again to see what they were talking about. The packaging and videos you get to see in the forum are nice, but overall I didn't really like it because of it's insufficient style of teaching the moves.

Anarchist
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
The teaching may not be as thorough as say, De'vo's Cradle to the Grave. HOwever, the bucks DO give you prerequesites that you should take note of, for example prior knowledge of basic sybils, Tudor's material, fanning, etc.

The teaching angles are from the top and from the front, and if you had access to the system vault, you would know that it is possible to have angles from over the shoulder as well.

If it did use CTG's super-thorough kind of teaching, it would have encountered problems with handlordz, so I don't think that would have been the best way to go. And besides, what lack thereof teaching they have (i'm not one to complain about that), they make up in sheer amount of material... I mean, 18 flourishes, easter eggs galore, etc, plus you get to learn so much more of the Bucks' stuff in the vault... 4 hours of material, that's gonna keep me busy for months! Smile

CTG, for example treats you like a complete layman. THe Bucks treat you as someone who already has a basic knowledge in flourishing.

I wouldn't compare it with Gen-X in the sense that you have to endure the monotonous droning of Tudor's voice in the background, and Tudor's is only from one angle, while you practically have a selection of 3 different angles in the System. Smile

But to each his own. The material in the DVD abs0lutely KICKS butt, and watching the Bucks execute their material almost flawlessly and precisely is oh-so-entertaining (and jealousy-inducing). Plus, as Anarchist said, the packaging, and the editing of the system (the bucks are amateur filmmakers) is HOLY CRAP. Smile

So it depends. If you are a total beginner in flourishing, you shouldn't get this first. Look into say, Jerry's book or some of Brian Tudor's material first. When you are ready to learn some super-uber hardcore flourishing, well, the System is waiting. Smile

W00t, the System and the Cobra Collection released at the end of the year. Two kickass flourish/XCM dvds = superuber great end of the year =)

On a sidenote, why was the other thread locked? As far as I can see, there was no flaming going on, and it was a peaceful thread... pre-assumptions from the moderators?
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MnemonicaRedux
I preferred the teaching by them on Hit the Road... now that was enjoyable. But still, when you know yer ****, you'll understand what's going on. Not a beginner DVD, that's fa show.

The casing is one-of-a-kind, and so are the interactive menus. The short films are both very artistic and funny as hell... and this is their first production. Wow.

I pity the foo who hasn't picked up this DVD... not the best teaching tool, but definitely a fun watch.

Aight.

-Kev
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I watched most of the DVD on Tuesday Night, as a much needed break from the Presidential Hoopla. I received my copy much earlier, but was gone for a few days campaigning for a state congressman, and he won. Anyways, the DVD.

The production quality is impressive, especially compared to their first video, Pasteboard Animations. They have come a long way, good job.

The material is great. They sure know how to do some fancy cuts and displays. The cuts they do remind me people who are great yo-yo-ers who can string trick after trick and have it seemingly flow.

The teaching/instructional part isn't the greatest. But in their forum, they answer any questions customers have had problems with (regarding the flourishes on the DVD, not personal problems though you're welcome to try).

Those are pretty much my thoughts on it for now. Like some have mentioned, it's not really a beginner DVD.

K.C. Ushijima
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
I got to see this from a friend.

Teaching was horrible! some screens had nice editing. No behind angles for teaching. Almost Tudor like, YUK! Some things were decent, but most others were not.

Oh well, some you win, some you don't,

Jinx
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MnemonicaRedux
The teaching ain't the greatest, Jinx, but here's some words from Dan himself, which I hope will help:

Quote:
...CTG and The Cobra are both extremely detailed instructional DVDs. De'vo wants you to learn where we don't. Hummm…Maybe I phrased that wrong. I want you to learn, but I want you to do it on your own. Basically our DVD is just meant to show you guys what's out there and can be done. From there you can "hopefully" come up with your own ideas or see a certain move that you like and build your own flourish off that. So, in general, it's more of like, okay...I need some inspiration.

Hope that clears some stuff up. We don't want any more wars going on... Aight? Smile

-Kev
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
What a surprise, Jinx commenting in ANOTHER bucks thread. Smile

Come on, can't some people give credit where credit is deserved? We acknowledge De'vo's dvds to be awesome (which is true), and why can't the bucks get that same respect back in return? You have to admit that the System has some uber-cool hardcore flourishing inside, and that the Bucks' execution of the moves are oh-so-jealousy-inducing. Smile Anyways, I'll still respect Jinx's opinion of it. =) Some people will find the teaching to their fancy, some won't. And the lack thereof teaching problem (if you could call it a problem) as Kev above has already mentioned, Dan has explained all.Smile And of course, you can read my previous reply in the thread. =)

No more superhandz/bucks wars, please, we've all seen enough of that. Smile De'vo's and all handlordz material is super-wicked, but it doesn't cater to everyone, and I believe the Bucks should receive credit for what they've done as well. So let's have peace everybody, eh? Smile
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
ABOVE POST

Well put.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
Kay
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Kay
I think business is the most important.
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
Well at least now we know why the other thread was locked...

XMer's are very pasionate about their craft and for the most part run with a younger crowd where being sick is a good thing...?...

I've enjoyed the Bucks Lecture notes and find them to be superior to others I've studied. While I don't have either of the dvd's discussed here I am planning on getting them both for Christmas.

I do appreciate MnemonicaRedux quotes from the Bucks about what their DVD is really for. I enjoy being inspired to expand the craft of card magic, no matter what form it takes.
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
Kay
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Kay
Word mister S.W.Erdnase, I just saw you in Genii Mag issue this month. Congratulations, you look great !

Thanks for the thought SIR.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Erdnase....

how old are you now?? any plans for a second book...lol

oh man...I'm to funny.
Kay
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Kay
What is so funny here ??? I normally don't make fun of people, I don't see anything funny here. Guess you don't know who Mister Erdnase is do you ?

Anyways, shouldn't make fun of older people.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Kay, Mr. Erdnase is dead, isn't he?

I don't think you got the joke. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
rudess
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of rudess
Kay,you are as funny as Lonnie.
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
I am alive and well boys. The Man of Mystery will be producing some very interesting reading very soon.

The site is up but is restricted and a bit of a phantom to find. Good Luck... hint..rub the lamp.

As for D&D I look forward to getting into the vault for the over the shoulder peeks.
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
Kay
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Kay
Quote:
I am alive and well boys. The Man of Mystery will be producing some very interesting reading very soon.

Of course, Mister Erdnase. In the world I respect you the most, anyone tries to threaten or make fun of you just tell me.
Burns
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Burns
Some ppl commented on some other ppl not giving only good credit. well what do you expect when you open a thread like this?

Glad it was settled in a good manner. If you say: "what do you think?" and someone says something not that good, don't attact and start to talk about warz. lol. Glad that didn't happen. good that we can keep it in a good tone Smile

As for the DVD. Havn't seen it Smile
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous..." -GrumpyOwl-

"I don't invent, I do Personal Discoveries" - Myself-
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:

Of course, Mister Erdnase. In the world I respect you the most, anyone tries to threaten or make fun of you just tell me.

Either you are joking as well or you really don't get it, Erdnase is dead. He wrote his book in 1902 and died a couple decades after that. I could put my username as Ed Marlo, but that won't change the fact that he's dead and that I'm not really him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » DAN and DAVE DVD SYSTEM ! who has this, what do you think ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL