The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Getting doves to like you (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
*francis
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of *francis
Thanks for your suggestions guys but unfortunately when the one flew off I was on my way to show, so after frantically scaling the house to get a better view I had to drop it and take my second dove for the show, so no bird to attract the other. Last time she escaped, she came back. This time no such luck.

Thanks guys,

Francis
*question or comment from Francis Chouler - magician from across the seas in South Africa
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5005 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
*francis, take a look around the neighborhood. Doves don't fly very far and chances are, she's nearby.

You said "last time she escaped". This would lead me to believe a change in you transit method is needed. If you are keeping your birds outside and then move then into the house or car for a show, either get a small animal carrier and move them, or actually hold the bird with both hands until they are safely inside. I keep birds in my garage, and even though they can't get outside, when I bring them indoors for practice, I always hold them rather than let them perch. Mine are small enough that I can grasp them with their back in my palm and wrap my fingers over their wings and under the belly. With the more fiesty birds, I do the same but hold them against my chest at the same time.

I hope your bird is found safe.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
A strange story that goes with this is from when I live in Montgomery. I kept my doves in an area walled off with a wooden board fence that also gave privacy to the pool.

One morning I was feeding doves and looked up to see a half dozen doves playing around the flowerbed near the diving board. I assumed they were wild doves. (Wild doves are very common in Alabama.)

When I actually started feeding my doves, these doves simply made themselves at home and moved into the cages. Apparently they were escapees from someone's ring necks in the area. They must not have enjoyed their night on the town. They really just wanted inside. I never found their owners but kept them a couple of years before giving them to a zoo.

They do have a want list.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
*francis
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of *francis
Good news everybody! Rebecca (my escapee dove) is back. I came home to see her happily perched on the top of our swingbench. I didn't risk letting her perch on my finger but simply scooped her up and carried her to the cage! Now I never have to fear of losing them again.. if they simply come back!

Thanks guys for all your tips I'm really happy she's back, as she was a really great performer!

Francis
*question or comment from Francis Chouler - magician from across the seas in South Africa
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5005 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That's good news Francis but I wouldn't trust her coming back all the time. There are a lot of predators out there just waiting for a nice dove snack. Always put the bird in a carrier or hold it between your hands when transporting from outside to inside or vice versa.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Francis,

See, you are a magician! Thanks for the great news.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
*francis
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of *francis
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Getting doves to like you (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL