The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Need help with pea for three shell game (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
Try a soft surface when using a hard pea. (e.g, carpet square.) I recall hearing it called the "old army game" and played on a blanket. According to urban legend, the blanket was explained to the players (suckers) as a necessity as it provided a quick and easy way to pick up and ditch any evidence of gambling in case the sarge walked in...

For a "primo" homemade pea, cut a ball from sponge rubber. Then impale it on a pin and dip it in latex or similar stuff.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
It was called the Old Army Game, as was Three-Card Monte and the Strap (Fast and Loose or Pricking the Garter). This was a way of drawing in the inexperienced recruits who wanted to at least know about the "Old Army Game" so as not to feel so "wet behind the ears." Instead they ended up feeling very empty in the wallet.

In the same way, back in the 19th century, the three card trick was called "Three-Card Monte" after the popular and legitimate Mexican card game "Monte."

A newcomer from the East would have heard but not seen this popular Western game, and would be eager to learn or at least become familiar with it so as not to be thought such a tenderfoot.

These poor guys did not know that the game they were being shown was a total swindle, and not related to the Mexican game "Monte" in any way.

The later writers on Three-Card Monte often made the same mistake, and credited Mexico as the original source of Three-Card Monte, which is much older (possibly 16th century) and was first seen in France and Spain.

By the way, I do not recommend Latex covered sponge or blown Latex peas. Latex does not have a good frictional surface, it deteriorates rapidly, and usually quits working in the middle of a performance.

Only magicians have ever used these weird latex peas. Natural rubber, sponge rubber, or art gum work much, much better.

The sponge rubber from a knee pad, or rubber cut from the inside of a child's cheap natural rubber ball work well.

Katmando is right on. One or more rubber bands wound and tied into a tight ball work very well, and are often used on the street. By far the easiest pea to construct, and one that works extremely well on all surfaces. Often used with the bottle caps.
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
If you dare get one from your wife or better yet by one in the store a padded bra works fine.
You can cut it to size and trim it into a round ball.
You will have a life time of peas.
By the way you may find bras in a second hand store.

Manny
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Man! That's just what I want. A second hand bra.

Whew!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-12-03 02:59, Bill Palmer wrote: Man! That's just what I want. A second hand bra.

Funniest message of the month!!! I can't stop laughing!!! Just priceless...

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Need help with pea for three shell game (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL