We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Color Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
rtcooks
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of rtcooks
I purchased the color monte and I am expecting it any day. One review I read listed this as an easy routine to learn with practice. Another review listed this as a difficult routine. What has been your experience with this routine? The cards are not gimmicked.

Thanks...
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hi rtcooks,
I would say that you will likely find it a bit difficult, even more so if you haven't seen it demonstrated. I purchased mine at our local magic shop and had a little lesson with it. The magician there classifies the tricks he sells into 3 categories ranging from beginner, to intermediate, to advanced. Color Monte has an intermediate rating, I think. In fact, I don't think I ever read the actual instructions. But the moves are not difficult, just takes practice and getting the story to flow smoothly. Good luck with it, it is a very good trick, great surprise finish! Smile

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
rtcooks
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of rtcooks
Thanks for the information. I have seen it demonstrated on a video. I hope that helps me with the routine.
Thanks....
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
One problem with Color Monte is that the moves look really unusual; and that's a sure tip-off for the audience that you're doing something "sneaky".
That's why I came up with my own Mirror Monte; the moves are straightforward and consistent; nothing "sneaky" about them.
All three cards (and there are only three cards) are seen and can be casually examined at the finish, assuming you want to get into that sort of crapola!
If interested, e-mail me and I'll gladly send you an e-mail flyer.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Danno
View Profile
New user
Boston
94 Posts

Profile of Danno
I just received the Color Monte two days ago. I practiced it for 3 hours straight one night.

Now, I have to tell you, I am REALLY new to magic. I've never previously learned any sleights. In fact, I'm pretty sloppy with cards. Also, I've never seen it performed. But, I must say, I'm quite proud of myself. I've gotten pretty good at this trick in just a couple of days. The people I have shown it to seem to be baffled by it so I must be doing something right.

Either I'm a card manipulating genius and I never knew it, or this is a pretty easy to learn trick. (I'm guessing the latter)

Take your time to read the instuctions carefully. This is really effective when done properly.
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
I like colour Monte even if, as Peter rightly points out there are one or two 'iffy' moves. No-one has ever queried these moves with me and the strong ending and the fact that the cards can be examined makes this a valuable addition to your repertoire.
The part I found most difficult in learning this was coordinating the patter to the moves but once you've done it it's easy - like riding a bike!

Bill Smile
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Bill's comment about synchronising moves with patter is interesting, and that is one reason why I loved the Emerson & West effects, because that is how they laid out their instructions.

I even take this approach when scripting my own presentations / effects, as I find it easier to learn and it makes you think a bit more about your presentation.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
rtcooks
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of rtcooks
I am learning the Color Monte. I read somewhere that someone thought that a Pinkey Buckle works great for this routine. What is a Pinkey Buckle, or where should I look to learn this.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
The only thing I ever found difficult about the effect was the written up instructions. They just were not clear enough for me to comprehend. I spent all night trying to figure out what it was describing. I was extremely tired, and my ex girlfriend was rambling on about something... I feel like an idiot after finally understanding how simple it is. I would recommend getting this effect. It's pretty fun with a nice ending. If your a newbie, you may want to have the Magician at your local magic shop help you out after you purchase it. Smile
Brian Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Bearing in mind that I do very little in the line of cards, Color Monte is one thing that I actually carry around with me (just in case I get "show me some magic"). Trust me, if I can learn Color Monte, anyone can! Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
I have performed a version of Color Monte (with a big spade pip, a big diamond pip and a green business card with large letters) for more than 15 years, and it was always a sure fire success for me. It's a real crowd pleaser. I have performed it for 5 people as well as for 100. The audience reactions were always great. One of the most practical tricks around. Technically, it's very easy. In my opinion (and speaking from my own experience) you must have some acting skills, you must be a good speaker and you need a good story. If you want to learn how to transform a card trick into a presentational showpiece, Color Monte is a perfectly suitable trick.
rtcooks
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of rtcooks
I got my Color Monte in the mail today. It was not as hard as I thought it would be. After about 15 minutes of practice, I was performing the trick for my Wife & Kids. I even changed it up and used the Ace of diamonds, Ace of Spades and a Joker. This is a great trick.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
That's great rtcooks ! Glad you're doing well with it and having FUN!
Thanks for getting back and sharing your results with us!!! Smile

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
G-Diddy
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of G-Diddy
I always get great responses when I perform color monte.
Audiences are usually shocked at the ending.
The handling is difficult to get directly from the instructions, although most magic stores would be happy to demo the trick.
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
This is my most requested trick. It was never really a favorite of mine, but it gets such a great reaction. People remember it so well and ask for it more than any trick that I do. I have actually done the trick so much that I have worn the color off of 3 sets of my cards. Now I do it with regular cards. I think that it makes the trick seem much more impromptu and less suspicious.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Has anyone seen the card effect "Two wrongs don't make a right"? The handling is identical to the Color Monte. It is hilarious infact. The play on words fits perfectly with the effect. Check to see if your local magic dealer has it. Smile
black wombat
View Profile
New user
Australia
3 Posts

Profile of black wombat
I am brand new to magic and stuff. Color Monte is the very first trick I have ever attempted and it was so easy.
I also found the instructions easy as well.
Honestly, if I can do it, anyone can. Smile
copterchris
View Profile
New user
Austin, Texas
97 Posts

Profile of copterchris
Does anyone have any advice for how to make the "d***** push off" look natural? The only way I can do it reliably is to hold opposite edges of the cards which looks terrible - is there a good tip to handle them more naturally?
Drew from Spotlight
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
124 Posts

Profile of Drew from Spotlight
Color Monte was on of the first Packet Tricks I ever owned. After many years I still have my original set of cards and I still carry them with me. Although some of the middle moves might be “iffy” in performance, I’ve never been questioned on them.

I’ve made my own set of cards up and even adapted them to working a trade show. If you come across the Paul Wilson video ‘Knock them Dead” he performs a version using tarot cards and less conspicuous moves. I like, and use, his version a lot.
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
I get great reactions with Color Monte and have never once had someone question the handling. I think there are a couple of psychological reasons for this: First, I never challenge the spectator to find the blue card - I tell them I was challenged to find it. Then they are more caught up in the story than in the moves and if they see something "ify" they pass over it assuming its part of the story. As far as the d-pushoff, think of it as moving the bottom card to the top. I advise the same thing when I am teaching an Elmsly Count. Its a subtle thing, but you may be surprised to see the difference it makes.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Color Monte (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL