The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Color Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Color Monte is a CLASSIC. It's up there with timeless classics such as Invisible Deck and Professor's Nightmare. For those that have trouble learning this classic may I suggest
memorizing the story line , then attempt to learn the moves.
I hope I'm not offending or stepping out of bounds with this suggestion. I had the same problem with this routine 25 years ago.
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
dekerivers
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of dekerivers
Check out Paul Wilson's version called the Gypsy Monte. It's on his video called "Knock Em Dead." This version uses Tarrot cards. The suprise ending with the death card gives this effect a really eerie feel. Great story line!!! Smile
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
I thought the double turnover was kind of hard, but over all it really is a great trick.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Your DL setup is easy with Color Monte because it's your first move. Good luck! Smile Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
Awesome effect! I have found it to get some of the best reactions of most of the tricks I do. I thought the hardest part of it was learning the patter
..::damienfell::..
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
201 Posts

Profile of Sean
I purchased Color Monte last week based on the recommendations from this board and I want to thank everyone who suggested it. I love the effect and I managed to fool the unfoolable wife with it the other night. She thought I had two blue cards and one red at the end. Smile

Addendum: When I went to buy the effect at my local store, the following conversation ensued:

Me: Do you have Color Monte?
Store Owner: Yes.
Me: How come I haven't seen it here before.
Store Owner: You always ask me what's new, not what's twenty years old.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I suppose it just goes to show how easy it is to miss some of the older gems!

I've done it myself! Smile

James.
jarrod
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of jarrod
I love color monte. I was asked by someone to do a magic trick for them the other day. I had color monte with me so I did it.

Went through the routine and got to the very end, with the $14 card face down in the middle. I am just about to reach out and turn it over, when she grabs it really fast and shouts 'ITS BLUE', she turns it over and sees the $14 card, and laughs for a good 2 minutes. It was one of the best reactions I have gotten. She was so sure it was blue for some reason.

---

As for the difficulty. I don't think the moves are difficult at all. It took me about a week though to get smooth in terms of patter and telling the story well. It was worth it.
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
Paul Wilson's routine is great, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the routine from Jay Sankey Live!- that is my favorite handling of the Color Monte.
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Howdy:

I remember when Color Monte first came out. I was running a magic school/shop in Orange County and we couldn't keep that thing in stock and it was selling so well that Emerson and West were constantly out of it and in the midst of having 'more' made up! It was pretty funny in an irritating sort of way.

It really IS a classic and well worth learning. Some find the moves unnatural, but I always found them WHEN matched to the patter to be just fine and never once questioned by a lay audience.

Keep it moving in a good solid rhythm matching the patter to the moves and you'll be fine. In fact having sold a ton of them I can tell you that the biggest problem most people encounter IS getting the patter right. Go for it...

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Ditto on the patter timing! Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
This is a really easy trick to perform if you memorized the routine and practice the moves.
jarrod
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of jarrod
No one has ever questioned the moves when I have done it. The closest anyone has come to questing moves is someone thinking "how you pull the card out, determines what color it changes to". Another one thought that it was how the light reflected off of it, and couldn't figure it out after they were holding the cards. They just don't realize it could all be sleight of hand =)
GTDude11
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of GTDude11
I got Color Monte as one of my first packet trick (3rd I believe). I practiced it for maybe an hour and a half and was almost perfect. This varies for different people but for me it was an easy trick to learn, there is just a lot of patter to remember I think.
"A genius is 1 % inspiration and 99% perspiration "-Thomas Edison
MAGIC RULES!!!

GTDUDE11
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I have recently pulled this one out of the closet and started performing it again. My only trouble is the second sleight (showing the top card) as I just cant get it to be smooth 100% of the time. When I fumble it looks too much like a card move. The patter is timed right but it just doesn't flow real well at that spot.

S. Patrick
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I like to use regular cards. Has anyone come up with a good way to do color monte with regular cards? Here's how I do it.

I use a joker, the ace of hearts (the money card), and 10 of spades. I explain that I use the joker(s) because there are two to a deck.

I do the routine as written, up to the point where you say, "it can't be in the middle or on top" and then show the money card on top. You're up to five dollars now. Here's where I change it up.

I then say, "Well, I know it's on top now, you just showed me" I then fan the cards. "Then let's go double or nothing - if it's on top, we're even, if you're wrong you owe me ten" "I'll take that bet" "You owe me -" I turn over the top card (ten of spades) "- ten"

Any thoughts?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Color Monte (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL