The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Dangerous Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iluznst
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
66 Posts

Profile of iluznst
What constitues dangerous magic?, take for granted the previous posts in this area are considered and deemed magic.

This might not be the right place for this, but is it lack of skill and how hurt one can become in the process? And if so where do you stop -- at coin vanishes?

Just wondering.

DA Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I suppose it depends if you are a layman/ spectator or a magician/ performer. Lance Burton's roller coaster escape looks dangerous to most, but it was certainly all under control and not very risky Smile

Side show acts - fire performing, sw sw, blockhead etc - do involve more danger than some other performance arts, but even then a pro performer will, through practice, experience and taking relevant precautions, minimise the inherent risk. Otherwise you could easily hurt yourself very badly.

An inexperienced magician could make almost any piece of magic into a dangerous act.

Cheers

ML

Smile
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
In defining magic "dangerous", I believe you'd have to figure out if you referring to danger to the presenter or to the audience. Fire tricks that have poor controls on them for the presenter are dangerous. Also tricks that "appear" dangerous to audiences (i.e. needle through arm) that they might go home and try on their own (heaven forbid) would constitute "dangerous." Then again, with a blood capsule, I could make a sponge ball routine look dangerous! Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
...and some performing magicians should have a health warning on their publicity "Caution: may impair your ability to laugh". Smile

Cheers

ML
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
What about the mentalism routine, where you cover a stand with some conical covers, and under one of them there is a real knife.
You are blindfolded, and you start slamming your hand over the different covers until you are left with one, you lift it up and there is the knife...
I know a few magicians who had good versions of this effect and were scared to perform it.
Wizard291
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Wizard291
Yes I love this effect - really great to watch but you would wonder while doing it wouldnt you?
Smile
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I know this guy who killed a fellow performer while doing stage fighting with swords. The sword broke and cut a major vein in his leg on the way down. Ambulance got there to late, loss of blood. If fact there were 'first aiders' in the audience arguing over what to do. Very sad stuff, you have to be carful doing anything where there is a remote risk someting could happen.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
Colin Rose in the UK puts out a great version of the knife trick with metal spikes and polystyrene cups. It's called smash and stab.

Tim
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
To me, 'dangerous' should refer to the audience effect (what really matters). For a thinking performer who wants a long career, real danger should be controlled, minimized or eliminated.

As Lester Lake once told me, "Die for your audience every night...then get up fresh the next morning."

The mentalist's "Acid Test" stunt is dangerous...in the audience's eyes. For the performer there is no risk at all.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I've heard a couple of horror stories about the knife stab routine going wrong. Granted that one won't kill you, but you card manipulations will suck after that.

But let's not forget the one that has killed more magicians than any other... the bullet catch. Just ask Ching Ling Soo.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Matthew the Magnificent
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
27 Posts

Profile of Matthew the Magnificent
Danger is ALL ABOUT PERCEPTION... last night some fellow who started out on the East Coast arrived at the Magic Castle doing a 'blindfold drive'...

Now WHO, HERE for even a split second even considers that there was the tiniest element of REAL danger in that ???

Yet, OF COURSE, the guy got TONS of free publicity.....and the 'why' is certainly because VIEWERS PERCIEVED DANGER... right ???

Note: just 'for the record', I ate fire for many years, had a few REALLY bad burns...

REAL DANGER is something apart from PERCIEVED danger... in Fire Eating I was often guilty of making it LOOK too easy...

A good ACTOR can make a MIRACLE out of a self-working piece of apparatus... and a poor finger flinger can perform a STUPENDOUSLY difficult feat of pure dexterity and have it just be boring to his audience... again, PERCEPTION is what counts...
Many years & Many experiences in Magic and Related Arts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Dangerous Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL