The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Contracts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
Wow!

This is a great thread guys! We have had some very distinguished guests here!

For what it is worth, I try to avoid contracts but I do use them. I have never been "stiffed". I have always been paid for shows. I prefer to do business with a handshake and mutual understanding. I will never proceed to the next step without a mutual understanding.
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I was going to suggest Kleefeld's book on contracts, but Shadow beat me to it! It is a great little book and is where I got most of the information to formulate the contract that I still use today.

Of course, over the years, I have added things and modified certain things on the contract. (which by the way I too call a Performance Agreement) One of the things I added, (not the exact wording) was that if the performer shows up to perform and the audience does not show up, I still get paid. (Believe it or not, this situation actually occurred to me once! The result I surmise, of bad promotion of the show on the part of the client.)

It just makes good business sense to have everything spelled out so that both the client and you are on the same page.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I use a "Confirmation Agreement" in all cases.
It reassures the host that I will be there because I am bound to their event.
It also makes them aware that I will not cancel their event if something better comes along. Such as something closer to home or an event that pays better.
It also lays out the few simple requests that I have when performing at their event.
It also covers me in the event of delays or unruly guests.
It also clearly lays out the balance owed.
It sets up the fact that I require a deposit to hold their event. It clearly states that I shall be paid prior to the performance.
It lays out what fees will be incurred should there be a delay?
It clearly spells out my 100 percent guarantee.

There are many reasons to use some type of agreement. To the best of my knowledge there is not one single entertainer here locally using some type of letter. What are your thoughts on why they don't wish to use one?
bnadworn
View Profile
Regular user
Western New York
131 Posts

Profile of bnadworn
Before last year I had never used any kind of written agreements for my show. My bookings were solely done in person or over the phone. I never had any payment problems either.
Last year I was contacted by an organization to do a show for their town. They asked if I could fax a copy of my contract over to them. I did a search for contracts and modified a musicians contract to suit my show. It required a 50% deposit with the remainder due on the night of the performance. It also said that there was no refund of deposit after 2 weeks before the show. It worked well for me. During the summer they contacted me again (very short notice) and this time just paid me in full upon arrival for the show. Next month I am doing a show for the same event as last year.
Should I send a contract again?

- Brian Nadworny
"They say the hand is quicker than the eye but I won't believe it until I see it."
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Quote:
On 2005-01-07 11:39, ReyRey Puentes wrote:
I use a "Confirmation Agreement" in all cases.
It reassures the host that I will be there because I am bound to their event.
It also makes them aware that I will not cancel their event if something better comes along. Such as something closer to home or an event that pays better.
It also lays out the few simple requests that I have when performing at their event.
It also covers me in the event of delays or unruly guests.
It also clearly lays out the balance owed.
It sets up the fact that I require a deposit to hold their event. It clearly states that I shall be paid prior to the performance.
It lays out what fees will be incurred should there be a delay?
It clearly spells out my 100 percent guarantee.

There are many reasons to use some type of agreement. To the best of my knowledge there is not one single entertainer here locally using some type of letter. What are your thoughts on why they don't wish to use one?

ReyRey - I'm just curious, what does your agreement say about unruly guests? I don't inlcude anything in my agreement about that.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
In consideration of all guests present;
The host is required to take corrective action in the event of a distraction or show stoppage due to any disruptive guests during the show.

Failure to do so, in a timely manner, after notification from either one of the show staff or myself, shall result in the early termination of the show at my discretion.

Bear in mind that early termination is the last resort! Please do your absolute best at watching for any disruptions to YOUR Show. We thank you kindly in advance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Contracts (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL