The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Mind Spy Wallet VS SUC.... Mind Power Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I'm thinking about getting one of these for a mind reading. But I can't do sleight of hand so billet work and nail writing is out. Is doing the peek for either of these hard? Can someone PM me and tell me what I can do with these two wallets? I read the topics on these but I need to know the handling. What would be better for me to read someone's mind and so on. How about Mind Power Deck? Someone please PM who has this so I can ask some questions. Thank you... Smile
§kitch
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I feel fairly confident that the SUC would present difficulties for you. The Mind Power Deck would be something you could master with little problem.

Gianni
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
The Mind Power deck was a “waste of good money” for me. The actual presentation and the way it is “written in the add” is very different. It’s not a clean straight forward effect.

Also Mind Power will require you to memorize several cards

This is just one opinion – get more before you make a choice.

Good Luck,
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
David,
The Mind Power Deck is a straight forward effect and is as it is described. Hardly a waste of money of money for those that wish to invest the time and effort into learning how to perform it well which includes the "revelation procedure". It is an oft misused and incorrectly used methodology that perhaps has you disliking this effect. Also, there is no actual need to memorize any cards but it does help and remember, this is mental magic - sometimes memorization of procedures are necessary.

There is no such thing as self working mentalism, only mental magic. Would you rather learn something that requires an investment in time, money and much time for practice so that only the ones that invest all that can perform it, or would you prefer to perform something that anyone 'schmuck" with $10 can go to a magic shop, purchase and then immediately do?

Which one of those described is the real magician?

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I like MindPower deck very much and use it very often. I do think it looks nicer with a regular Bicycle card on the back, however.

--Christopher Carter
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
I also put a regular bicycle card on the back of the Mind Power Deck. I didn`t like the cue card joker either so I discarded it and modified the presentation a little. And no, I don´t have to memorize any cards. What you have to do is to make a small cue list, which you attach to the bottom of the card case. You then slip the cellophane back around the box. Next draw a picture of a crystal ball on the cellophane and put your Mind Power deck into the card case. You are now ready to go.

Bring out the deck and tell your audience that as a close-up entertainer you cannot afford a real crystal ball. That`s why you drew one on your card case. They may laugh but that is going to change soon. When they have a card in mind put the cards back into the box. You are now going to hold the box on your outstretched palm so that the picture of the crystal ball is facing the ceiling. The flap of the card case is towards the spectators and the cue list is facing you. Ask them to stare at the crystal ball and concentrate on the card they saw. You, of course, aren`t staring directly at the crystal ball but the cue list. Read their minds and put the cards away.

I usually do a couple of tricks(preferably some mental effects here) with a normal deck of bikes and then ring in the Mind Power Deck. That`s why I have drawn a crystal ball on the card case of the normal deck as well. When I bring out the normal deck people often ask me why I have drawn the crystal ball there. I tell them that I will explain it later. I perform a couple of tricks with the normal deck and put it away. I act as if I had forgotten to tell them about the crystal ball. That`s when the Mind Power Deck is removed from the pocket. It may well be the easiest deck switch ever.

I have also played with the idea of making a picture of the card appear inside the crystal ball. I never came up with a satisfying method though.

Risto
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Peek wallets are not difficult to use. However if you are just wanting to slip a mental item into a magic routine, then I would not suggest using them. I consider the Mind Spy more of a formal presentation tool, the wallet would look out of place for apparently impromptu close up use.

Again, the Sight Unseen case is more like a business card carrying case so would look out of place if you are wearing jeans etc.

Both these are utility props however. The Mind Power Deck is a one trick deck. A clever version of an old Audley Walsh idea, something people were never caught out with anyway. It is also an odd back design, and you would probably have difficulty finding a deck to match, if indeed, you can. The ruse decribed above of putting a Bicycle card at the back of the deck may have been first used by Derren Brown.

If you are really into close up magic more than anything, go for the deck.

If you are getting into mentalism and funds are limited, go for the Sight Unseen. Generally, magicians don't appreciate peek wallets. And of course, there are ways of peeking info. without wallets!

Paul.
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Although I have the Mindpower deck, I've been using the Koran deck which I find better and easier to work with. It's very versitile and costs a lot less. It also appeals more to my logic and way of thinking.

As Christopher has stated, the Mindpower deck does need a cosmetic makeover to 'standardise'the appearance of the deck.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
I toss my vote in with Chris Carter and others for the Mind Power Deck -- at least in principle. Many people don't like the odd backs, and the idea of putting a Bicycle joker on top of the deck works fine.

Once you own the deck, however, it's not hard to figure out a way to adapt the basic principle to a full Bicycle deck. You can apparently show the faces to be different, yet fan the cards for the spectator(s) to think of a card, which you divine via the Mind Power principle.

Jerry

Another thought on the Mind Power Deck idea -- how to extend the effect?

You can easily routine an effect in which you first divine a thought-of card, then make it disappear from the deck and appear in some impossible location (wallet, etc.). A deck switch is involved, but it can be easily camouflaged during the revelation procedure.

Anyone have other ideas on extending the Mind Power effect?

Jerry
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
I have the mindpower deck and have found that if used correctly, the way all magic should be done, it is probably one of the most powerful effects in cards and mentalism. As with all magic, misdirection makes or breaks you, but this time it's misdirecion of the spectators ideas. I make up a big story about telepathy and that I'm not perfect with it, so I let myself make up to 2 mistakes. This brings you down to the spectators' level by admitting you're human. As far as different effects to do with it, I always try and do it to exactly two people. On numerous occasions I've had both people naturally memorize the same card, unbeknownced to them until I reveal it. I then tell them that I controlled them both telepathically to look at and memorize the same card. The reaction is often speechlessness. Try it and see for yourself.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I have a preference for Bob sheets Flash Deck
particularly when strolling
Phillip
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
On 2002-08-31 15:54, jerdunn wrote:
Another thought on the Mind Power Deck idea -- how to extend the effect?

You can easily routine an effect in which you first divine a thought-of card, then make it disappear from the deck and appear in some impossible location (wallet, etc.). A deck switch is involved, but it can be easily camouflaged during the revelation procedure.

Anyone have other ideas on extending the Mind Power effect?

Jerry

Derren Brown actually uses the Mindpower deck in his close up act, in one of his favorite effects (I beleive)he calls smoke.

The card is thought of vanishes from the deck (you don't need to switch the deck to make it vanish) and then the cigarette he is smoking changes into the thought of card.

It is described fully in Pure Effect.

Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magiclee
Why is the Koran Deck better and easier to do than the Mindpower Deck?
Where can one purchase this deck?

magiclee
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
You mentioned billet work, although I'm not familiar with the Mind Spy Wallet. I've used the Thought Transmitter to great effect and heard great things about the Sight Unseen Case.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Quote:
On 2002-09-11 07:25, p.b.jones wrote:
Hi,
I have a preference for Bob sheets Flash Deck
particularly when strolling
Phillip

Phillip -- Can you describe the Flash Deck a little, and tell where to get it? Thanks!
Jerry
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
It is a bit like a koran/osterlind radar deck with an extra kicker the effect is you fan/spread the deck in your hands get 3 people to think of a card in the one thinks of a red card the other a black the final spec thinks of either
you then proceed to name the first two cards the final card is the only odd coloured card in the deck (no slieght of hand)

here is his web site you will have to email him I think he makes them himself. I paid £10.00 for mine at a convention in the UK

http://www.bobsheets.com/

Phillip
Drew from Spotlight
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
124 Posts

Profile of Drew from Spotlight
I have both the Mind Spy Wallet and the SUC case. I carry both of them usually at the same time. The Mind Spy Wallet functions as my everyday wallet and the SUC case does quite well as my business card wallet. Depending on the routine I’m doing both of them perform equally uniquely as silent stars.

I don’t think one is better than the other. Both are innocent in design but carry a big punch. In performance both come out naturally and no one suspects a thing. I can peek at information with ease using either of them. If you handle them correctly you can almost repeat a routine using different methods with no fear of being caught.

If I am only going to carry one wallet though I will opt for the SUC case. Only because it’s smaller and it carries my business cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Mind Spy Wallet VS SUC.... Mind Power Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL