The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Needle & Razor blade swallowing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
hocopoco
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of hocopoco
I am considering performing this classic trick.

Any thoughts about utilizing blades vs. needles?

Are there some more recent presentations/methods that I should check out?

Thanks,

Mike
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1700 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Razorblades are more modern!

Hocus Pocus has two versions for sale!

Tim Ellis Lecture notes have a great version as well. Check his website.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Mike:

John Booth has a classic book where he has a routine for each - needles and razorblades. He says the needles are MUCH more effective than the blades because it's more straightforward. You put the needles and thread in your mouth, you perhaps drink some water (not mandatory) and you pull them out threaded.

With the blades, it's not as straightforward. At some time in the routine, you must s***** the blades. However, I have a video of Denny Haney doing the blades, and the routine is spectacular and direct.

Anyway, I hope this helps you a bit.

Ron
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
It seems logical to thread needles. It seems odd to thread razor blades.

There are methods for the needle threading that do not require any special apparatus. All you need is the know-how which appears in various print media (ya know, like, books).

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7363 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
George Johnstone did the razor blades...Use a hanky for the dirty work.

If you do the needles, you must take the time to learn the "Houdini" method that allows your mouth to be examined. Personally, I would rather not prick my mouth with needles.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I like the hanky for doing the dirty work, like Richard mentioned. That's the method John Booth uses in his books.

I've never liked the method that uses the little changing canisters on the display stand. It always seemed strange to put the blades in a little can while taking the thread off the spool.

Terry Rogers had a very unique method of doing the razor blades. I can't remember the name of the book, though.

Ronald Dayton marketed a "no-s*****" method of doing the razor blades about 20 years ago. It got good reviews, but I never saw it and don't know how it was done. He was (I think he passed away) very clever.

Ron
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3380 Posts

Profile of Julie
Are razor blades familiar items now?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7363 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Maybe we could bring them out in a string of disposable razors?

I think single edge razor blades are still used a lot in cutting and scraping things. So the double edge could probably still be done. But you might want to some patter about how you found an old box in your grandfather's attic. They are still sharp and possess a special magic.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Anders Moden
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Anders Moden
Tim Ellis just released a DVD with the razor blade routine:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......11&1
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1604 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I used to do the razor blade trick back in the late 1950s,60s and 70s.

The method I used was from that famous shop in London England "Davenport". The gimmick was a oversize cotton reel that did the necessary thing.

I changed the routine a bit where I'd start off with about 10 razor blades and bring out abut 25 on the thread. Stainless steel blades are the best to use. They are more visible from a distance.

Richard Ly
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
SID FLEISCHMAN'S book "The Charlatan's Handbook" will give you a no-switch method of doing the needles that is very easy, direct and safe.

Your choices are not only the method but whether to do it as a magic trick or as if doing it dangerously real. There's a difference.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Razorblades are more visual. That's what you should use.

Try to get a capture of Paul Potassy. He's the one getting the most out of that routine.
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Anders is correct.

Our routine 'ULTIMATE BLADES' is taught on the new DVD 'ELLIS IN WONDERLAND'.

Try it..... you'll like it! *g*
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-11 16:09, Tim Ellis wrote:
Anders is correct.

Wanna bet ? Smile

Nothing beats Paul Potassy's presentation...nothing.

And I let you into a secret---he used SHARP, unmodified razorblades---no kidding! Smile

Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1700 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
[/quote]Wanna bet ? Smile
Nothing beats Paul Potassys presentation...nothing ....
and I let you into a secret, he used SHARP, non mofied razorblades..no kidding! Smile
[/quote]

In your very Humble opinion!
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1604 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2004-11-11 17:03, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-11-11 16:09, Tim Ellis wrote:
Anders is correct.

Wanna bet ? Smile
Nothing beats Paul Potassys presentation...nothing ....
and I let you into a secret, he used SHARP, non modified razorblades..no kidding! Smile

Why take the chance of getting cut in front of an audience? They believe that the blades are sharp, so I don't think it is necessary to put sharp blades in your mouth.

Richard Lyn
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Well I like to think that my version is the best of both worlds.

Blades that slice through paper or playing cards, then, with no switch, go straight into your mouth and don't cut you.

Personally, I prefer to create the illusion of sharp blades rather than put myself in danger.

However I applaud Paul Potassy for his committment to the effect.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-11 17:58, ABM wrote:
In your very Humble opinion!
Everything I ever say is JMHO... and even I am in doubt Smile

Tim Ellis, did you ever see Paul Potassy work?

The sharp razors used by him are just a curiosum...nothing more. Note, he even put a razor vertically between his teeth/lips and moved it inside his mouth by use of his lips.

The fact he did use sharp razors made it easy for him to cut the papers, no matter which blade a spectator did choose out of his glassbowl.

My admiration of his work on this trick is NOT because he did use sharp razors, but because of the powerful presentation he developed through 40 years of using that routine and the way he *emptied* his mouth in a natural way. Nobody ever figured out how he did it...until he tipped it.

At the finish he was clean...one of the greatest acts ever and the greatest and most elegant/humble pickpocket ever, who wasn't a pickpocket, but a magician. Smile

One more thing...he was once on TV in a competition with Fred Kaps...and all the laymen/people watching the screen I talked with the next day said what impressed them them most was Paul Potassy.

Now that tells it all. He worked for laymen, not for magicians and he traveled the world at high rates. Very few living performers can state that.

Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
The article in MAGIC about Mr, Potassy is intriguing. It would be great to see him, and many other magicians of his era, performing in his prime.

The razorblades is a fascinating and underexplored effect. There are SO MANY different presentations possible. It sounds like his presentation went out of its way to create astonishment and not settle for the standard shock value that most razor blade eaters go for.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-12 04:37, Tim Ellis wrote:
The article in MAGIC about Mr Potassy is intriguing.

Unfortunately I haven't read the article in MAGIC, but a friend told me about it and mentioned it did lack some important points. Can't recall what that was.

BUT, I've seen Paul Potassy on German TV way back since around the late/middle 1950's. I have the two books published---re, his work---and I have a video made available by Alfred Czernewitz that contained a capture of a lot of TV-appearances of Paul Potassy, directly from Paul's own collection..

Anybody interested in understanding how to make an impact on an audience by a handful of, in principle, simple tricks, should se the act of Paul Potassy. He even did the *snake-rope*, that rope that curled around a selected card after the deck was sprung into a container/basket---.but the WAY he did it was different.

He did Goldin's six silks, also a classic, but again, the WAY he did it made it interesting and magical.

He did lots more, but still basically a handful of known routines---the newspaper tear and last not least his pickpocket routine, the BEST I ever saw---and I've seen a lot of world-famous pickpockets.

Paul's attitude was entirely different. He NEVER did confuse the spectators on stage re this. He worked sooo incredibly clean and didn't jump around them like so many do, to confuse them more then entertain them.

He did a wristwatch steal, off beat, right from the beginning and he produced one article after the other stolen from spectators repeatively and in a way nobody else ever came close. Actually it was so simple, but only a world-class artist can do it the way he did.

Forget Borra, Borra jr. and others. They are/were all good, but none can come close to the elegant and non-confusing way Paul Pottasy handled this. He was a true entertainer and mostly billed himself as an entertainer and NOT a magician for various commercial reasons. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Needle & Razor blade swallowing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL