The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A trick that requires REAL ESP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
I just read “Presenting Psychic Magic”(1983), by Ormond McGil -- one of the strangest magic books I’ve ever encountered.

There are a number of good effects in the book, including some for a séance. But early on (p.10), he sent my mind reeling with his “Transmitting Images of Playing Cards”: The performer turns his back to the audience, and has them randomly select cards, one at a time, from any deck. The card is placed where all audience members can see it, and they all stare intently at it until the performer successfully announces what each one is.

Now here’s the method that McGill tells you to use: “Your eyes are closed, and you await an impression of the image of the card…Wait for the image to become persistent, and then call out the name of the card.”

McGill’s “secret” is that you’re actually using telepathy to identify each card.

I did a Café search and found, among others, this link that discusses McGill’s apparent belief in the reality of ESP:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

This isn’t the place to discuss whether ESP really exists (there’s no reliable evidence that it does, and extraordinary claims require...), but what’s that kind of oddball methodology doing just stuck into a performer’s book of mentalism effects?

Can you imagine what other magic books would be like if they simply told you to use your psi powers to accomplish the effect? Or if books on close up magic told you simply to use your magic to make the thimbles disappear?

Performing would certainly be simple if the world were like that. But it’s not the reality I inhabit.

Have you come across any other books for professional magicians where the “secret” also requires you to have special powers?
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2046 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Not quite "special powers," but...

Richard Osterlind's "Miracle Thought Projection": You put a playing card face down on the table. Spectator names a card. They turn the card over. It's the one they named. Method: You really do it.

Luke Jermay's version of "Out of This World": One at a time, a spectator predicts whether a series of cards are black or red, and gets them right. Method: They really do it.

Others?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
7th sense allows you to create the effect described. Also allows you to stop a spectators mind on a specific card. This can even be done in different rooms..
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
Ormond has some other "real magic" stuff in his hypnotism book. He says make your assistant's pulse stop with hypnotism (i.e. really make it happen), then goes on to explain how you can fake it.

I think the thing to remember is that while you fake it your inner voice tells you it is real. Itll make your performances more believable and congruent.
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2004-11-10 17:01, Jonathan1000 wrote:
I just read “Presenting Psychic Magic”(1983), by Ormond McGil -- one of the strangest magic books I’ve ever encountered . . .

. . . Now here’s the method that McGill tells you to use: “Your eyes are closed, and you await an impression of the image of the card…Wait for the image to become persistent, and then call out the name of the card.”

I'm curious: are there other, more traditional magic/mentalism (i.e. ones that use trickery) effects in the book?
If all the "effects" are supposed to use genuine ESP/telepathy that would be one thing. What would really be bizarre, in my view, is if he combined admitted trick-based mentalism effect with supposedly genuine ESP/telepathy effects in the same book.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Dear MentaThought:

Using your definition, this book is EXTREMELY bizarre.

There are plenty of effects that use trickery -- some rather good ones by the way -- but then here and there the reader suddenly trips over something that requires supernatural powers! That's what's so puzzling. Smile

Jonathan
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Let's face it
If you bought this book, you were kidded
I did and I was
LOL
TJ
Good job it was cheap More LOL
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Stephen Minch's "Mind and Matter" includes an item at the end called, "In the Name of Historical Curiosity."
It describes an arrangement for testing and practicing real psychokinesis.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2578 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Worth a try
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Was Osterlind's Miracle Thought Projection published? Did he really say that the method was to use actual ESP?
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Richard published Miracle Thought Projection in his book, Dynamic Mysteries (OOP). In the hands of a confident, skilled presenter, this is pure gold! When it works, it looks like a miracle.
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2046 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Jimtron,

No, Richard doesn't claim (nor do I) that the method uses ESP. However, in performing it you are really doing what you claim to be doing: predicting/influencing which card the spectator will name. The method isn't extra-sensory, but relies on rapport, knowledge of human behavior, and balls of titanium.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
jonnycardel
View Profile
New user
England (lakes)
50 Posts

Profile of jonnycardel
One of my strongest routenes or to ask a spec to name any card (no force) wilst they are shuffling a deck then to open the deck like a book its mind-blowing as thay open to the card they chose Smile
Magician walks down the road and turned into a bar, da daaa
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Socrates
The original post mentioned the following:

Now here’s the method that McGill tells you to use: “Your eyes are closed, and you await an impression of the image of the card…Wait for the image to become persistent, and then call out the name of the card.”

Have done exactly the same myself on a number of occasions and it works.

Socrates

'Everybody lives by selling something' - Robert Louis Stevenson Smile
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
[quote]On 2004-11-12 03:06, Quinn wrote:
The method isn't extra-sensory, but relies on rapport, knowledge of human behavior, and "Balls of Titanium".

Sounds "superhuman" to me ! Smile
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
This is the kind of thing I do all the time. Take a playing card without looking, then get an impression of it in your mind. It takes practice. It's similar to going up to a total stranger in the street and asking them to think of any word (ANY word they like), and then telling them the word they are thinking of. Some people find this easier than others.

My hit rate is about 1 in 52 for the playing card, and 1 in 10,000 for the word.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
That's not bad on the word hit rate...mine is more like 1 in 40,000. For that one person, though...it's a miracle. I hope they spread the word. Smile

If you want to increase your hit rate on the word effect, try shoving that person from behind, or sneezing on them before asking them to think of a word. You narrow your choices to four letters usually, and can fish for the rest.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3730 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I was that 1 in 40,000 person and I thought Johne was a real miracle worker adn could actually read my mind. It was freaky. But come to think of it, now I realize why you sneezed on me. Good one though!

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi all
THe last 3 posts sum it up perfectly
ROTFL
TJ
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
I fail to see the point of refusing to learn from someone who is admittedly one of the greatest masters of this art.

Ormond McGills books are wonderful.

/Bamba
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A trick that requires REAL ESP (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL