The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Advanced Card Control - Allen Ackerman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
I was wondering, is it recommended that I follow these dvd's in order? Or can I pick and choose which set of sleights I want to learn? Also, how hard are these for someone that's only known sleight is the Elmsley count?

Thanks for your input,
Wulfie
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1436 Posts

Profile of jcards01
They do not need to be followed in order. But if all you know is the Elmsley, the name of this series is "Advanced". Might be more than you're ready for.

Have you gone the route of Royal Road and Expert Card Technique?
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Then why is it advertised on hocus pocus as 'Go from beginner to expert in 8 easy lessons with card pro Allan ackerman!' ??
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1436 Posts

Profile of jcards01
It will take a beginner "someone who has general experience in many aspects" to the next step.

I would just be careful. I would buy them anyway because they are good. Plus you can buy just the ones you are interested in. There is one on controls, different counts, etc. I have the ones on false shuffles and false deals. They are good but will take work.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
I really don't think these DVDs are for beginners. They are on topics that are a little more advance than beginner. As you can see, the first vol is on palming; not a simple sleight. A lot of the dvds also refer to the utility dvd, I think you'll need to pick that one up as well.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4892 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1130 Posts

Profile of Paul H
I don't think this series is for beginners either. As Jimmy Cards says, it will take the 'advanced' beginner to the next level. Wolfie, if you do decide to go with this type of DVD set, then also consider Daryl's series 'Encyclopedia of Card Sleights'. I have both and overall, I prefer Daryl. However, the Ackerman false deals Volume is much more comprehensive than Daryl. If you want a solid and relatively inexpensive introduction to basic card sleights , then I would highly recommend Vol 6 and 7 of Gerry Griffin's Complete Card Magic series. These include 14 forces, 7 shuffle methods, 6 card flourishes, 10 famous cuts and 21 card sleights. This should keep you going for a while and combined with the book, the Royal Road to Card Magic, they represents the best value for money that I know of.

Regards,

Paul H
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I also have both sets and Daryl is the better choice for someone new to magic. You can start with Volume 1 and see how it is set up for beginners. He starts from the ground up, too slow for some perhaps even.

Ackerman teaches a lot of material that Daryl does not, and as noted earlier in the thread he also teaches many sleights in greater detail than Daryl. Both sets together are a powerful tool.

Please get a few books (if you have not done so already) and refer to the DVDs as you read along for reference. Royal Road and Card College are great investments!
Drive Carefully
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
I have Royal Road but have found that I'm more of a 'visual' person when it comes to learning card sleights. Does Daryl teach any tricks on his encyclopedia or is it just the sleights?
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Like other recommended...

check these out first...

royal road to card magic
daryl encyclopedia of card sleights
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Yes, I agree that the sleights are a foundation for everything else, but are sleights enough w/o having an effect or two that also utilizes these sleights?
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Quote:
On 2004-11-12 07:18, wulfie66 wrote:
Yes, I agree that the sleights are a foundation for everything else, but are sleights enough w/o having an effect or two that also utilizes these sleights?

I find that effects/tricks motivate the learning of sleights. That's why I enjoy this series more than daryl's. don't get me wrong, daryl's is very good... just less tricks.
Tommy Johnson
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Tommy Johnson
Allen is great, but for beginners?
magicman03
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicman03
This series is a great tool for beginers and intermediate magicians a like. Allen is a great teacher, and with this series its fine to pick and choose.
Amazing Kenno
View Profile
New user
Kenno
60 Posts

Profile of Amazing Kenno
Its been said before, but bears repeating..the 2 series, Daryl's and Allan's, compliment in each other in many ways; I think there is really only a 40% overlap in material; the controls, false shuffles and utlitlies DVDs for Allan are especially strong. Get them both if you can.
The Amazing Kenno
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Also if you want to learn some good tricks check out Easy to Master Card Miracle dvd series Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Advanced Card Control - Allen Ackerman (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL