The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Back Drops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
Obviously you need material that you can't see through, but it usually is very expensive. Here is something that I have done to get around that problem. You can get whatever kind of material you like, and don't worry that you can see through it. All you need is to use tinfoil behind it. Tinfoil is cheap and you can't see through it at all.
Dabek
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
142 Posts

Profile of Dabek
I like the spiderflex drop but if anything happens to the structure it is very hard to fix and can be very hard to set up as well as the fact that the stablity suffers.

Magical regards
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Hi Steve,

Quote:
On 2003-01-06 01:31, Steve Hoffman wrote:
After looking around at various tripod/stand/support systems, I ended up taking the advice of a professional photographer friend of mine, and got a PHOTEK support system.

Do you think the PHOTEK system is strong enough to handle a full twelve foot long by eight foot high run of black velvet?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Check this out :

An 8' x 14' backdrop for 275.00 (includes the drapes)

http://www.hmcdisplay.com/Merchant2/merc......de=pd814
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've seen packages like this at trade shows. It's not exactly portable, considering the 8' long uprights. You'd have to carry it in a panel van. The curtains, from what I've seen, are only opague if you have total control over the lighting. They're transluscent. This seems to be something that the facility would own, not one of the exhibitors.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
That's a good point, Alan .

The upright supports ( 8' high) would be a problem. I think it might not be too hard to have them cut in half and a joint connecter attached at the mid-way point , so they could be broken down to 4' sections.
It appears that the 14' long section to hang the curtain on is telescopic, so that would not be a problem. I'm going to write to the company to find out if they might be able to supply the upright poles in 4' ft. sections for easier packing.
The curtains might have to be backed with a heavier, less expensive material to make them more opaque, I'm not sure.

Still looks like a very reasonable price for a unit 8' x 14' . Not as portable as the Spyder frames, but a lot less expensive.
MagicAL47
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of MagicAL47
Hi. I have heard of a Mylar backdrop that seems nice, but I can't find it! Can someone give me a little help? Smile Smile
~Magic-Al~
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
The Merchant display is what an illusionist friend of mine (Jeff Olear) recommended to me years ago. He swore by them, as they were much sturdier than most backdrop systems marketed for magicians.
Ronald R. Romiski Smile
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
If you don't have access to a fly tower in the venue you perform in, consider a roll-drop. Unbleached muslin is definitely the cheapest starting point for a drop, but then you need access to a scene painter to make the most of it.

I've seen miracles performed with surplus parachutes and special lighting...as Saydean mentioned, lights can make all the difference on an unpainted (or painted) surface.

Also, Go to Rosco for your mylar drops.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Back Drops (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL