The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Card index! ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Ok, I am going to purchase a card index.

But I am just curious of the size of the actual index.

I supposed the deck will be like double as thick with the index so it will take some size in the pocket. This one I'm buying is based on Patrick Page's Q5 and its fully described in COrindas 13 steps to mentalism.

Im just curious on how big it will be. And if I would be able to use the index in normal baggy pants. I don't wear a coat too often.

Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I use a double pocket index, half deck in each pocket.... the gimicks end up being less than the thickness of a full deck.

Index's aren't really suited to be used in "normal" pants, because not only are the bulky and such, but they are usually not suited to being carried around for long periods of time, especially with other things in your pocket.

They are more suited to a performance situation where you can have near empty pockets with lots of room for shorter periods of time.
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
Hi Harwin,
I am pretty sure that the index you are thinking about ordering is also a split index...meaning that it is a pair that each hold 26 cards. Which website are you ordering it from?
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Bizarre de Magica makes a very thin index.
You get two also,one for each pocket.

Most any index will work fine with baggy pants.

Jeans tend not to have large enough pockets.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
The Bazare de Magia ones are a little unstable and the action is not tailored to being quick. even if you practice and use them for several years.
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
I should add that the cards tend to get jumbled around after one or two extractions even when you are careful. Does anyone know about the Dave Powell model?
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
The Excaliber is the best card index. It allows you to have the entire deck in one pocket with no added thickness. It is precision made, and will last forever. Too bad that they are no longer made, but do show up on ebay. They were $85 when they were available new.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
It allows you to have the entire deck in one pocket with no added thickness.

That's impossible unless the "index" is just a deck in your pocket that you have to count to the card.

Unless it's made of some sort of energy, the index will increase thickness in your pants.

Even using only 13 "tabs", this adds up quickly. 13x the thickness of a sheet of paper(thin stock) is still a noticable bulk increase.
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
Mike M,
do you know who the manufacturer of the "Excaliber" index was? I am curious to know more about it.
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
Maybe it is spelled Excalibur?
magicman03
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicman03
How is the card index from Anneman?
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Annemanns index is a billet index .
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
Daegs,
No, it is not impossible, it really does not add any thickness. You are thinking typical card index, which this is not, although it absolutely is a card index. It adds something, but not thickness. I can't say more without giving away it's secret. It is very clever

It was called the Excaliber Gimmick. I loved it, so I bought a couple while they were available.
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
I personally use the Q5+ index from D.Robbins. Modeled off of the Q5 in Corinda's but these are made with a flexible plastic.
I have had the same set for 5 years and they are still going strong.
Seth
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
There's always INDECKS, but that's a card index built into a bicycle deck!

Gary
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I have an Excaliber card index.I got it from Tannen's years ago.It came in a little black plastic lunchbox type container.It was put out by a guy from Paris ,France.I can't remember his name though.I liked using it .
robsigns
View Profile
New user
Southern California
74 Posts

Profile of robsigns
In "Bob Wagner's Master Notebook of Magic" there are a couple of different indexes you can make yourself. I use one of them and it works great. It took me an evening in front of the TV with an X-Acto Knife and glue, but it works great.
Anders Moden
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Anders Moden
It is called Excalibur Gimmick, it was created by Daniel Miraskill and manufactured by Magic Productions - Paris. It does not add any thickness to the deck. As an added feature, after producing the named card or cards, the deck can be brough out of the pocket with a rubber band around it and given to the spectators.

(I just bought one at an auction)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You have four pockets? Each pocket contains a suit of cards. Easy.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Are card index hard to use?
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Card index! ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL