The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » SupaLok by Master Locksmith Mick (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Mick was not the first to create or sell this lock.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2016, the Sponge wrote:
Mick was not the first to create or sell this lock.

I don't know what lock you are thinking of 'the Sponge' but Mick Hazlik certainly was the creator of, and therefore the first to sell SupaLok, his progression and improvement of the original Key r rect.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Paul Mc,

Mick may have called it and Marketed it as Supalok, but an identical lock was made and sold by a man here in the U.S. YEARS before the Supalok. Same reset, same brass lock, same key alteration, same procedure. I don't believe it was not sold through dealers, but it existed and was sold (it had a name, packaging, instuructions, legit). I bought one. Now, Mick most likely figured it out himself as a locksmith, but he was not the first to do so. Sorry, but that's the truth.

s
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Hi the Sponge, we are talking about SupaLok, created and produced by Mick Hanzlik and distributed Worldwide by magic dealers and by Mick himself since 2004. SupaLok is an innovative progression to Key r rect which was openly discussed here on the Café at the time.
Somebody, who appears to be nameless, may well have come up with a similar method in the U.S. but I am sure, especially in this day and age, if it was exactly the same as SupaLok, that person would have come forward and made their claim of inventing it clear, or even contacted Mick to discuss. As far as I am aware, this was not the case on either count.
This topic is about 'SupaLok' and the fact is, Mick Hanzlik created, produced and was the first to sell SupaLok!!

Paul Mc.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2016, caigy wrote:

Somebody, who appears to be nameless, may well have come up with a similar method in the U.S. but I am sure, especially in this day and age, if it was exactly the same as SupaLok, that person would have come forward and made their claim of inventing it clear, or even contacted Mick to discuss. As far as I am aware, this was not the case on either count.

You make some untrue assumptions.

Similar method? No. Same.

I know the creator's name, address, phone#, and have recently talked to him on Facebook. I have told him about the Supalok, shown him the pictures, and discussed him making more. What he chooses to do, or not do, is entirely up to him. As far as I know, it may even be this U.S. engineer you are working with to make more. His initials are J.P.

This is not the first time I have mentioned the other lock on the Café.

J.P. sold his lock in 1998.

You are now aware Mick was not the first to modify a lock to work the way it does.

If you would like me to pass something along to J.P. PM me the info.

s
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Sponge you seem to be making this a secret. In 2004 mick had this lock that's over 12 years ago. Has your j p friend not seen this, if so he obviously doesn't care. If he doesn't care it may as well not exist.

Seems like you care. But you didn't make the lock. JP did, maybe.

I don't get your point or purpose. Why not let JP speak up and show some documentation. Why not?

Just because you say it doesn't mean it's true.

J
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2016, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:

You make some untrue assumptions.

Similar method? No. Same.

I know the creator's name, address, phone#, and have recently talked to him on Facebook. I have told him about the Supalok, shown him the pictures, and discussed him making more. What he chooses to do, or not do, is entirely up to him. As far as I know, it may even be this U.S. engineer you are working with to make more. His initials are J.P.

This is not the first time I have mentioned the other lock on the Café.

J.P. sold his lock in 1998.

You are now aware Mick was not the first to modify a lock to work the way it does.

If you would like me to pass something along to J.P. PM me the info.

s

the Sponge,

No, J.P.(?) is not the engineer Luca and I are speaking with and I do not wish to pass anything onto him.

As I have mentioned in my previous posts and as John C has picked up on in his post above, throughout the last 12 years J.P.(?) has never come forward to claim he is the inventor of SupaLok.

Again it may be an untrue assumption on my part but I have read posts and personally spoken to literally hundreds of top professional performers and magic/mentalism/escapology enthusiasts, who have either used, or are aware of the originality of Mick Hanzlik's SupaLok, whereas owners of J.P.'s release, including yourself, appear to have kept certain details, including the name of the lock, their own identities and their opinion of how good the lock was, a big secret for all these years!!

Anyway, and once more, this is purely another assumption on my part, if J.P. does decide to re-release his 'infamous' lock, I am sure it will be accompanied with the relevant evidence of provenance.

Paul Mc.

www.psychicmentality.com
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:

No, J.P.(?) is not the engineer Luca and I are speaking with and I do not wish to pass anything onto him.
As I have mentioned in my previous posts and as John C has picked up on in his post above, throughout the last 12 years J.P.(?) has never come forward to claim he is the inventor of SupaLok.
Again it may be an untrue assumption on my part but I have read posts and personally spoken to literally hundreds of top professional performers and magic/mentalism/escapology enthusiasts, who have either used, or are aware of the originality of Mick Hanzlik's SupaLok, whereas owners of J.P.'s release, including yourself, appear to have kept certain details, including the name of the lock, their own identities and their opinion of how good the lock was, a big secret for all these years!!
Anyway, and once more, this is purely another assumption on my part, if J.P. does decide to re-release his 'infamous' lock, I am sure it will be accompanied with the relevant evidence of provenance.
Paul Mc.

I find it strange you have no interest in contacting this person. At least you would get the story and perhaps he would even make them for you (as he knows how).

I have pictures of the lock and copyrighted instructions which I actually posted on the Café in the for sale section.

Why didn't he notice/say anything? Maybe not everyone stays connected to the magic world. Some give it up and move on to other things. Six years later the Supalok comes out. He didn't know about the Supalok until I told him. Maybe he just didn't care.

Maybe he was just a hobbyist. Maybe he only made a handful and sold them via ebay. Maybe the people who bought them are no longer in magic. Many reasons This lock has not been heard of.

I am sorry the timing is not to your liking.

None of that changes the fact J.P. figured out how to make this lock and sold a few in 1998.

I'm not sure why everyone is upset. This takes nothing away from Mick. As he lives elsewhere and a locksmith, I figure it a case of independent creation. He decided to market it. It went very well. He gets tons of credit for that! The Supalok is his.

But, Mick's not the first person to create this type of brass lock that works the way it does. And he's not the only person who knows how.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
So, after contacting him and getting the okay, here's the info and a pic.

the man's name is Jim Pankey. He teaches and plays banjo. He named his lock "Mind Lock." You can find him on Facebook. His name, address and phone# is also included in the directions.

following is a cut/paste of our message exchange. His words are in quotes.

Jim, me again. Do you want any credit for your Mind Lock? There is a magic forum and someone was posting about the SupaLok and how they were thinking about making it again. I just said that someone else had created one first, and everyone wouldn't believe it since they had never heard of it. I didn't mention your name since I didn't know how much you cared or if you wanted it mentioned. Plus, I don't really know the story. If you want to write the story up or want me to post it on the site, I will. just let me know.

"In short... I saw Max Maven do a similar trick (different kinda lock and gimmick) so I basically started brainstorming how to do it. I came up with my method after discovering a the sort of lock I wound up using. I initially crafted one for myself, then showed it to a friend that was also into magic."

"I made them in the back room of my music store. I probably made less than 100. I have the last one and my son has one of the first ones. You have one, so that makes three that I know still around.

"I never imagined they'd still work after all this time since the gimmick is essentially ********************************"

"I sure don't mind folks knowing that I came up with it..."

"The local magic store had the sort of lock that max maven used, but it was quirky and pricey.
Lol.. And I had just spent a chunk of coin on some cups"

did you get out of magic?

"I've always been a musician... I tinkered with magic a bit to have something to do at the product table. It was a way to carry on with potential customers"

they don't understand why, when the Supalok came out in 2004 you never said anything about it.

"I still carry a couple of coin gimmicks in my banjo case...
By 2004 I was head deep in a new job. I never visited magic forums online
I do remember some guy posting my chopcup routine online, but I never saw it."

"I never patented or trademarked the lock... Didn't feel like it was that big of a deal. When I couldn't get a decent lock to work with I quit making them.
We've not found any locks locally that will work"

ok. do you remember the time frame when you made them.

"I closed my shop in 99... So probably 97-99"

"What'd I sell them for? $30? I know I sold them all over the world"

I don't remember. Mine came from ebay.

"So.. I opened my eBay account in Dec 98"

They posted they were working with a U.S. engineer to try to get them made again.

"Shouldn't take an engineer... Machine shop would be handy though"

Maybe after I post your name they'll contact you.

"That's ok. It's not like I was ever part of the community.. Interloper at best. I just needed a mentalist kinda trick and was too cheap to buy what was on the market at the time."

So, there you go. I may be many things, but a liar I am not.

Click here to view attached image.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Thank you for the update the Sponge but although annoyed at the insensitive curt nature of your initial post, stating that my friend, the late, well respected, Mick Hanzlik was not the creator of Supalok, at no time have I called you a liar!

Your subsequent posts were questionably cryptic and difficult to respond to in a positive manner and although the information you eventually produced, does prove that Jim Pankey did produce a small number of gimmicked padlocks, there are many, many types of gimmicked locks out there.
Perhaps you could pm me the missing part of Jim's comment, "I never imagined they'd still work after all this time since the gimmick is essentially ********************************", because the way I interpret this sentence, convinces me further that the method or gimmicking of the lock is not the same.

Also, I appreciate that the Internet was slightly more common place in 2004 than in 1998 but surely if Jim's improvement to the original Key r rect was exactly the same as Mick's, the reaction to the 100 or so ' Mind Locks' sold around the World would have been similar to the rave reviews and acclaim Mick received when he released SupaLok six years later!!

However, thank you for bringing this to our attention and for the sake of completeness, I will speak with Luca Volpe when he is back from his lecture tour, when we may well contact Jim Pankey to discuss in more detail, to hopefully ensure that 'Mick Hanzlik's SupaLok' remains available to the many who are requesting it, for many more years to come.

Paul Mc.

www.psychicmentality.com
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
there are many, many types of gimmicked locks out there.

Perhaps you could pm me the missing part of Jim's comment, "I never imagined they'd still work after all this time since the gimmick is essentially ********************************", because the way I interpret this sentence, convinces me further that the method or gimmicking of the lock is not the same.
Paul Mc.

There may be many gimmicked locks, but they can be grouped into very few categories. Mental Lock and Supalok are the only two I know of with such a specific set of characteristics.

The **** is really a sentence. He only told me vaguely how the lock is gimmicked. I don't know enough to understand what he said, and I certainly couldn't make one. I don't feel comfortable sharing, as it's not my secret to tell. I'm sure you understand. I'll let him share that with whomever he wishes. (and he may tell anyone who asks, I don't know.) He seems like a nice guy and seems cool with everything.

I really wasn't accusing or speaking ill of anyone. I just knew something no one else seemed to. Just thought the info should be out there. I had posted it before, this was just the first time anyone seemed to notice.

and yes, everyone would like the SupaLok style locks made and sold again.

s
Jim Pankey
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Jim Pankey
Back in September the Sponge contacted me asking if I had another "mind lock" or if I still made them. I have to admit that I was pretty surprised that anyone was still using one of my locks. When I could no longer locally get the sort of lock I was using I quit making them. Not being a locksmith I didn't have a good way of ordering locks in bulk, and for no more than I was able to sell them for it just didn't seem worth pursuing. I even had to rely on the hardware store to cut all the keys for me. Since I was only getting around $30 or so for them it just didn't make sense to me to keep making them.

As for why they didn't receive the sort of reviews that Supalok did, I can only suspect that it had more to do with my inability to get them into the hands of a couple of popular magicians. Not being part of the community I just didn't have even the slightest clue who was who... Seriously, at the time Doug Henning and David Copperfield were probably the only famous magicians I could have named. Well, I obviously saw Max Maven do a similar trick, but I don't even remember where I saw it. Later I met Michael Ammar, but it was at a magic shop near Atlanta. Magic was just a passing fancy... Music always came first. All that and I'm a lousy salesman. Smile

While I did sell a handful of the locks it was never anything more than a way to prove to myself that I could make a fairly nifty effect myself without spending a mint on something pre-made from a shop for more money than I should.

Looking at the Supalok videos I see the main improvement was having each key cut a little differently. That's smart, and I'd have loved to have done that, but I just didn't have my own key cutter. The reset mechanism appears to be the same. It took me a few locks to land on something that I felt like would work for a long time and not require maintenance.

Honestly, I'm glad someone closer to the community figured out how to make them. I sure never patented the process and it never really mattered in the grand scheme of things.

Best wishes and good luck with the locks!
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
This whole story with its twists and turns turned out to be quite fascinating and interesting. And seems to be going for a happy ending Smile
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Thank you both for the detailed information and as previously mentioned, I will speak with my colleagues and Mick's Family in due course. We may well take you up on your offer of discussing in more detail, when we can compare both locks in private to establish the exact similarities, without risking exposure.
It may well turn out to be another case of 'great minds think alike' but either way, we can report the findings back to the community and hopefully move forward with this project, giving credit where credit is due.
All the best.

Paul Mc.

www.psychicmentality.com
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
So where can a person find a SupaLok? When I click on caigy's website, I see the Grismer lock...

Does the audience really care if you use a supalok when normal locks can be used? The effect plays the same in the audience's mind, doesn't it? I guess it comes down to gimmick or just forcing a key, but I am interested in the supalok and the Grismer. I wanted to buy the Grismer, but didn't like the black color of the lock. I like a silver lock better.

Best
Ray
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
I have a SupaLok I found right here on the Café and I have a Grismer too Smile
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Magical Dimensions wrote:
So where can a person find a SupaLok? When I click on caigy's website, I see the Grismer lock...

Does the audience really care if you use a supalok when normal locks can be used? The effect plays the same in the audience's mind, doesn't it? I guess it comes down to gimmick or just forcing a key, but I am interested in the supalok and the Grismer. I wanted to buy the Grismer, but didn't like the black color of the lock. I like a silver lock better.

Best
Ray

Sometimes you can, as the poster above, find one here on Magic Café, and so did I, about a year ago.
But the prices have risen considerably! Smile
The advantage with this lock is that it is absolutely hands off. Watch John Archers routine on 'Educating Archer'. Brilliant!
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
I also wanted to buy the Grimser lock but don't like the black finish either. Silver / chrome finish is what is most commonly seen on combo locks plus is more durable. Hope they start making them in Silver again.
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
They make 5 chrome ones a year. I bought a chrome here on the Café and it looks like a typical locker room lock.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I have a large supalock for sale. It ain't cheap. PM if you are serious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » SupaLok by Master Locksmith Mick (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL