The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A thought (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
I am working on a new column; here is the first one. I hope people here can learn from it:

Karrell’s Kitchen Table

Welcome; and Hello.

It was suggested a time ago how lucky I was to be so close to Karrell Fox, and that I was able to spend a great deal of time learning from him. Most of the learning took place at his kitchen table, hence the title of this series of writings. I have hesitated in sharing this with all of you, as some of this is painful, other parts rather contrary to conventional thought.

However, for insight into the mind of one of Magic’s most beloved performers, and to share with you the wisdom he shared with me, we shall begin. Keep in mind Bruce Lee’s admonition to absorb what is useful and disregard the rest, and you should do well.

We begin with the most difficult of stories. Magicians being who we are, I am forced to begin here, to get it out of the way, as it were.

It is no secret, that at the end of his life, Karrell and I were estranged. He told many people his side of the story, I told far fewer. The Confucius comment that stories are like coins, they have no value unless you have both sides, is good to remember at times like those. In truth, as the years have passed, the black and white of right and wrong, has faded into a murky gray, and the painful question of did it really matter? Now that he has passed, it matters not one wit.

The point is, he was not my friend (I was his) or friendly towards me for many years before his passing. However, it was just before his passing that the late Walter Wilson did the kindest, and most caring act of love and friendship that has ever been shown to me.

He went to Karrell at a convention, sat him down, and said, “Karrell, we are going to talk about Mark Tripp, and you are going to listen!” Wally was a cop, a big man, with a much bigger heart, and Karrell listened. Wally spent over an hour making it very clear to Karrell one core point, that I loved Karrell with all my heart, and that the separation of our friendship was VERY painful to me.

Karrell listened, and in a soft voice told Wally; “You tell Tripper all is forgiven. Tell him I will see him after the next convention, and we will hug until the sun goes down.”

I cannot tell you the joy I felt when Wally told me the news, and I cannot tell you how excited I was that I was going to see Karrell and end the years of seperation.

Sadly, Karrell died at the next convention.

I never saw him again.

I never got to look at his face again with love and friendship.

I never got to say I was sorry.

I never got that hug.

That, as they say, is the Hell of it.

Two stubborn men, each thinking they were right, let slip away the most precious gift we have.

Let that be your first lesson, at Karrell’s Kitchen Table
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Mark Yes we do need something to get us going here please post the second lesson when you can.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
May be the finest lesson that readers of this board will ever have.

Riley
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
This kind of Happened to me to. I was friends with a guy who owned a Magic Shop. I listened to him as what to go see etc. the only time we had a difference was about Escaping from a Real Straitjacket Plus he wanted me to use Gimmicked Cuffs. I'm not sure why about the Cuffs but he told me I couldn't get out of a real one. and as for the cuffs he told me I had to be out of them by the count of 10. I'm not sure why he thought this but I wish he was around. to still see.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Mark,

A very wise post.

Now let's see how many take it to heart!

Steve Santini
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I have to agree with all the posts so far. A great lesson that sadly you had to learn the hard way. Maybe others of us here will read your words and not have to.

The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A thought (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL