We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Are Special rubberbands really worth it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

woodmaven
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of woodmaven
I've been using regular rubberbands from OfficeMax to learn the routines on Band Shark. I've heard that there exists some sort of premium rubberband that you can't get in office supply stores that are better for these effects. Is this true? If so, Where do you buy them .... I've checked many of the major online magic stores and haven't found any.

I did see one guy on Ebay selling "Magician Rubberbands" and advertising them as "used by Dan Harlan" and all the professionals.

Thanks,
-Britt

Smile
Friends are our chosen family.

- Britt -
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
Britt:

The Camirand Academy of Magic sells a product called ELITE RUBBER BANDS which, according to the box, "can stretch up to five times their size without risk of breaking. Their softness allows for a smooth performance." They cost $5.00 a box. I bought a box and have used them a lot this summer and I absolutely love them. I find them to be all they are advertised to be.

I have heard that they might be similar to a product put out by the Alliance Rubber Band Co. - Alliance Pale Crepe Gold Rubber Bands. I do not know if these are one and the same. Here is a link to a site that sells them. http://www.office1000.com/discount/rubber-bands.html

-Marty
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Yes, it's true, but if you buy it through most dealers, they're wayyyy overpriced.

What I've found are the best for magic are bands made out of what's known as crepe latex, which is a very pure latex that is softer, stretchier, and more resilient than most rubberbands.

The problem is, I've only been able to find these online, not in any brick and mortar store. If you order them in any usable quantity (ie not so many that you'll never use them before they deteriorate), you'll pay more for shipping than you'll pay for the bands themselves, because they typically have to be special ordered.

Andi and I have been talking about carrying them on our website, since we can provide them at a more reasonable price by buying in bulk. We now have them in stock, and will finally (after months of talking about it) be adding them to the shop within about a week. We'll be selling them at a much better price than the two other magic suppliers I know of.

If you want another testimonial as to their quality, talk to Brian here on the board, as I sent him a sample of them a while back. You out there, Brian?

If you're interested, e-mail me at Andy@Andy-L.com and I'll get you ordering info as soon as they're available.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
woodmaven
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of woodmaven
Marty and Andy,

Thanks for your help. Once again I am indebted to the Cafe' membership for their unselfish assistance.

- Britt

Smile

- Britt -
mike4dice
View Profile
New user
Randolph, NJ
84 Posts

Profile of mike4dice
When Dan Harlan lectured at IBM 200 last year, he gave me (and others) a few of the rubber bands that he sells. They are softer and easier to stretch than similar-sized bands from the local Staples.

I'm not so sure that it makes much of a difference in pereforming the links & unlinks however.

mike Smile
"Talents are best nurtured in solitude; but character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world." - Goethe
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
The real difference from the softness isn't in the standard unlinks and links, but is twofold. First, it makes it easier to do the various T&R handlings and Kenner's "Missing Link", and makes the handling a bit more deceptive than thicker, less stretchy bands. Second, they don't break as easily, so they last longer.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I've been using Dan Harlan's bands, and I find that they actually bread more often than store bought bands.
They are softer and easier to handle, though.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1406 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
If you can get a hold of them cheaply, give them a try.

I use the regular old Staples premium rubber bands, #19, and they work just fine for CMH and CMH with a twist. $2.00 for approx. 430.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2318 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Brian is back after weeks of soul searching. Lol. Broke up with my girlfriend. Anyway. Im back now. And Yes, Andy did send me some rubberbands. They worked like magic! No pun intended. Perfect for crazyman's handcuffs and other effects. I cant wait to get some more! Smile
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
I would use normal rubber bands. Like using a bridge size deck as opposed to poker.
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
121 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
I believe office depot carries the Alliance Pale Crepe Gold Rubber Bands online and has free shipping for orders over $50.

This would be a good way to get them with cheap shipping if you can combine them with the order of other items at the same time.

--Kris
woodmaven
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of woodmaven
Thanks to all for the most helpful advice and assistance.

- Britt

Smile

- Britt -
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2002-09-03 03:35, Bascomb wrote:
I would use normal rubber bands. Like using a bridge size deck as opposed to poker.

Not really, I'd say it's more like using a deck of manipulation cards for a manipulation act instead of a deck of regular cards. Sure, it can be done, but it's much easier and looks a lot better with the higher quality tools.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1406 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Quote:
On 2002-09-03 20:38, Andy Leviss wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-09-03 03:35, Bascomb wrote:

Not really, I'd say it's more like using a deck of manipulation cards for a manipulation act instead of a deck of regular cards. Sure, it can be done, but it's much easier and looks a lot better with the higher quality tools.

I don't know about that. I use regular old rubber bands all the time. They work great and look great. I do tend to switch them out on a regular basis though. But at less than half a penny per band, that's not a big deal.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
G-Diddy
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of G-Diddy
I purchased some "special rubber bands" which according to the magic dealer were the same that dan Harlan uses...
They stretch more than the staples rubber bands and they are a bit smoother for use with CMH. A little more deceptive...
They look the same as any regular rubber band except the material is better...I agree, it is like using manipulation cards for a performance.
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
I bought a box from Camirand Academy for $5 two years ago. I am still using them. They are much better than Staples for CMH. Stretch better and more difficult to see the crossing.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1406 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I just recently came across the Camirand rubber bands at a lecture, so I bought some to check them out.

They do have a bit better feel to them the regular staples bands. They do tend to stretch a little more than the normal ones as well.

I think they are definitely more deceptive when doing CMH. For some reason, you can't tell which side the bands are on as easily with these bands as you can with the staples kind. I do like that quality a lot.

I did, however, have one of them break the first night I used them. I had never broken a band before during a performance and I get these new nice ones and immediately break one. Urrrrr!

But having one break is really not a representative sampling and I do like the way the handle and look a bit more than the standard bands, so I think I am going to continue using them.

Hopefully, no more of them break.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
What everybody is looking for are #19 transluscent rubberbands. These are the ones Harlan uses and sells, I know because he sold them to me and told me how to find more. I have been luck enough to find them cheap at a Staples so I bought a whole lot just in case. Good luck!
Bryan
marlynn
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of marlynn
An owner operated Stationer can provide you with 1/4lb. of good quality rubber bands for under a buck that are of a higher quality than those sold by the box stores.
Store your elastics out of the light and at room temp. Take a couple of dozen elastics and put them in a nylon stocking and put them through the wash before using them.They will be more pliable
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Are Special rubberbands really worth it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL