The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Reaction to the Spelman DVD's (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
joeyjojo
View Profile
Regular user
uruguay
126 Posts

Profile of joeyjojo
Quote:
On 2004-12-09 20:32, Marc Spelmann wrote:

I do believe I am an easy target as I am unknown, I work for UK audiences, my natural style is quite forceful but equally quite charming with a hint of sarcasm, releasing these DVDs was about the routines, not a show case for my performance style.

With respect for your comments and interest in your works.. I look forward to your DVDs and how I may learn from them..

Oh dear Marc. You must be feeling attacked and critiqued from all directions. I don't think it has much to do with being 'an easy target', and if it does it is probably not for the reasons you stated. Here are some thoughts that might allay your disappointment and clarify things from a buyer's perspective: You're right, you are relatively unknown. At the same time, there has been some criticsm of L&L and others who have been releasing one or two good volumes of material on 3 or 4 volume sets, just to increase revenue. Many people (professional reviewers included) have noticed this. Along comes a relatively unknown quantity, with a set of 4 DVDs. Not only are there 4 of them, but due to Alakazam's choice on the one hand and the strength of the pound on the other, these 4 DVDs are considerably more expensive than comparable sets by Osterlind, Banachek, Maven, and the others mentioned. AND these are offered as a pre-sale item, which means that Alakazam has to generate enough hype to get buyers to put money down blindly. So there are ridiculously high expectations, many promises, yet another 4-DVD package, sold at a relatively very high price, and voila you find you are a target. When the jiffy-bags are opened and they don't contain much usable material for the casual hobbiest (who is as likely to have bought your DVDs as the professionals out there, I suppose) or close-up material, all those weeks of pre-order waiting, and the comparatively high price, can draw criticism and disappointment.

Most 'relatively unknown performers' go on tour and sell lecture notes or perhaps even a first video. Some have published small booklets of routines or compete in international competitions to gain a reputation of sorts (I realise you competed in this year's Magic Circle Close-Up competition and suspect that had you placed in the top three it would've helped with the marketing - not that Alakazam seems to have had much of a problem with this...).
But you jumped straight into the deep end, with a 4 volume DVD set and while the financial return outstrips what you would've gained selling lecture notes on the road, it also exposes you to criticsm. Yes, they are teaching DVDs but you are being compared to others who have also invested in the performance of the material (at least show us what dividends we are to expect from the routine when it works!). Accept that the performances weren't up to par and let it be; don't turn defensive about it and say that it wasn't meant to be entertaining to anyone. At 200 bucks it better darn be! (tongue in cheek, but the point is clear).

I hope this experience proves to strengthen you for next time, and that you can learn from it and from the responses (even the negative ones) to your series.
Dark Thought 13
View Profile
Regular user
Washington D.C.
122 Posts

Profile of Dark Thought 13
Somehow I don't think they'll be a next time?
and if there is I doubt he'll be back here?

Valid post though Joeyjojo from a different angle..

I am still impressed with the set on the whole though and I don't think anyone has released visual mentalism / mind magic routines that play on such a scale as some of Marks work.
"I love the one with the plastic thumb!"
Someone who has seen a s*** magician
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Marc,

didn't mean to patronise you or anything of that like. we (me and my friend) really did shout "get on with it lad!". should I'd said "boy"? sorry if it sounded demeaning as Dark Thought suggested, didn't mean to. btw, I'm about your age.
as for criticizing, this is exactly what I did. I'll say it again in different (and nicer I hope) words so I'll be more understood: you need more impacts per minute, and much less talking. work on your satge persona - look more alive. I understand you are going for the dark look, but as I said, you came out gray. I think you could easily shrink your best material into 1 dvd. I don't see any reason to put something that isn't the best you've got (we have too much info these days anyway). and I really think that putting out a 4 dvds set is way to early for a mentalist like you. your judgment of what's strong and what's not isn't mature yet (and it's obviouse from the selection of the effects). I suggest you walk the path of Osterlinde's and Maven's, don't rush with your material, instead put out a short booklet, or maybe a nice dvd (like Kuffs did for example). publish the treasures you have and don't hide them in tons of mud like many of the dvds today tends to do. otherwise the result would be (and is) poor and disappointing.

Nimrod (a lad too), Israel

p.s. still haven't watched the rest yet. I'll look up for the effects you recommanded.
p.s.s. don't know about the rest of you guys, but when I buy a mentalism dvd I'm interested in the performance at least as I'm interested in the material, and this is what I pay for, especially when the ad states what a great and known performer the mentalist is.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Yep, you put out a DVD, you deal with the punches. It happens to actors, writers, and directors every day. The fact that we're even talking about Mr. Spelmann's work is something the vast majority of magicians will never experience. He's now in the ranks of the above household names. At least households containing roughing fluid and esp cards. He should be happy.

After now having seen all 4 DVDs, I've got to say there's some sweet, fresh effects sandwiched between a lot of filler. I get a bit put off when Mark makes comments like, "there are some strong pieces in this set that I use to this day." Wow! You mean he actually included some good stuff that he still uses? I should hope so! I didn't pay $200 for C material he dropped out of his act in the 80s. His comment suggests there's quite a bit of that. This is marketed as the mentalism of Mark Spelmann. Why wouldn't it be filled from beginning to end with his greatest stuff? Maybe Mark can answer that.

I still maintain that this 4 disc set is as good if not better than any other mentalism set out there. I guess that means, for me anyway, the field of mentalism doesn't lend itself to 4 cd sets. Inevitably, recycled material with a small twist finds itself creeping up. And by disc 4 you can smell the dust from the old books the pieces were taken from.

Mark seems like a charming guy and I actually like his understated performing style quite a bit. He's very likeable with just enough mystique to make laymen believe he has powers they don't. He even managed to do the near impossible and badly. badly fry me with an effect called "Free Call." I've just come to the conclusion mentalism DVDs aren't my thing. But again, within the category, these are as good as you're going to find.
Best of luck to you, Mark.

Platt
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Marc, my only complaint is that some of the routines went on for wayyy too long. The ideas were fresh and it is nice that someone as young and as talented as you is paving the way and moving over to the dark side...Smile You just have to shorten some of the effects so that either you get to the climax faster or you change the reasoning/explanations for doing what yuo are doing (taking that time) to be more exciting/intriguing.
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2004-12-10 10:24, joeyjojo wrote:
At the same time, there has been some criticsm of L&L and others who have been releasing one or two good volumes of material on 3 or 4 volume sets, just to increase revenue.

This may be true. I do know I was astounded when Osterlind started doing magic tricks on his ostensibly "mentalism" DVD set "Mind Mysteries." I mean, a coin in bottle trick on a *mentalism* DVD? Gimme a break!
In addition, I was quite surprised that in his L&L series "Mind Mysteries" Osterlind actually performed multiple identical effects from his earlier "Challenge Magic" video!
"Marked Coin in Bottle" isn't even a "mental magic" trick for heaven's sake. It's inclusion in a supposedly "mentalism" DVD series makes one shake their head.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Dark Thought 13
View Profile
Regular user
Washington D.C.
122 Posts

I must agree MentaThought,

Osterlind is very good but I was suprised at some of the Magic on a mentalism set?
Signed Coin In Bottle that very few will ever do.
A torn and restored signed newspaper.
A torn and restored post it not.
A torn and restored sugar packet.
A bill to cigarette.

Some of these are definate fillers and I doubt very much that Osterlind still does these in his current act, infact I bet most of the material is not in his current act. That is not to say that these DVDs are not good, they are excellent but if we are going to use a set of guidelines to critic dvds they must apply to all regardless of name or status.

I do however really like how Osterlind introduces and rationalises the use of magic between his mentalism.

I think if Mark speeded up his performance it would benefit. I still say all of the material is unpublished which has the benefit of being a set that is not a rehash of old lecture notes or stuff from books that is already sitting on our shelves.
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
I don't have time for along detailed review of these dvd's, I just have to say that even though most of the effects are more suited to stage or caberet. Most of the material is strong, I have yet to find a mentalism or magic dvd where all the effects are strong or to my taste. There are many though in this set I enjoyed.

These dvd's are the real deal as far as mentalism is concerned. I was impressed with the attention to detail in the explanations and although some of the methods are bold the subtleties and structure of the effects hide the workings well.

Mr Spellman is new on the scene, if this is his debut I look forward to see more of his contribution to the art of mentalism.

Jonathan
aaguilar007
View Profile
Regular user
México
106 Posts

Profile of aaguilar007
Marc,
Where Can I buy your DVD's (out of the UK)

Thanks,

Alfredo
“If you can make another person’s reality into something wonderful, you can do real magic”.

Richard Osterlind
Making Real Magic
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
Well I recieved the DvD set and I must say that the negative senseless comments lacking constructive critisism were certainly inappropriate and plain rude further more upon watching this DvD set I found very usefull effects that I have already began practicing.

Marc I already wrote you a PM expressing my thoughts on your performing and I can honestly say that I feel your magic and style is EXTREEMLY strong but coming from a board where some of the magicians will even pick Copperfields magic to death I fear it is next to impossible not to recieve such comments that offended however I for one will say continue on releasing work and I will continue to purchase as well as praise it.

Best,
Kyle
Dark Thought 13
View Profile
Regular user
Washington D.C.
122 Posts

I think a forum is for discussion, things we like, thing we do not like. It is how we convey those thoughts that is important. We all have a great interest in common that of Magic & Mentalism therefore we should try to be as constructive with eachother as possible, the good and the bad.

We can all learn from eachother regardless of status in the profession. I found the DVDs to be full of strong applications, some routines would go straight into my act, others wouldn't but slight adaptions and some of the applications would. I class this set as an essential set to own if you perform mentalism. The casual / social performer should probably go with Chapter 4 as the material is suited for any where.
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
It's extremely rare that I am moved to post on the Café (especially in December) but I am really saddened that so much time has been spent on slagging off Marc's style and if these videos are value for money or not.

Re: Style

Marc's style evidently works for him or he wouldn't be working. It's not my cup of tea but so what? - These are instructional videos not a beauty pagent. I closed each show of my sell out West London theater run this Autumn with my interpretation of Marc's Mind Control but I didn't see him perform it until I got the videos. To say his presentation was different to mine is something of an understatment (to the point where I probably would never had performed it had I seen Marc's version before I read it). The point is - take the thinking away from the videos and turn it into what *you* need. Who cares what the performers style is.

Re: Value for money.

If you can honestly say that you haven't seen at least three ideas that you might take away and fashion into effects for your own working repertoire , then I look forward to the release of your four DVD set, because you obviously know far more than me.
Three effect at £30 each sounds like value for me. I have a drawer with around £800 worth of effects, manuscripts and utilitys which I have bought and found unsuitable for my act. That's the nature of buying such things and the more discerning you become the less often you will actualy adopt something you've bought. Don't want to spend money unless you absolutely know you will use it? Then only buy at lectures or shops that will demo for you.

One other thing while I'm here - Marc if you read this please contact me at dougsegal@hotmail.com. We need to discuss a signiture effect of mine since 1999 which (although the method is completly different)looks a lot like one of yours.
I just don't want anyone accusing either of us of plagiarism when that isn't the case.

Good thoughts to you all.

Doug
Adam
View Profile
Regular user
UK
103 Posts

Profile of Adam
Quote:
On 2004-12-22 12:07, Doug Segal wrote:
Re: Style

Marc's style evidently works for him or he wouldn't be working. It's not my cup of tea but so what? - These are instructional videos not a beauty pagent.

Re: Value for money.

If you can honestly say that you haven't seen at least three ideas that you might take away and fashion into effects for your own working repertoire , then I look forward to the release of your four DVD set, because you obviously know far more than me.

No, it's not a "beauty pagent" (sic.). But everything has a context and the context of these videos are the similar Banachek/Osterlind/Maven DVDs that have been produced (and in these DVDs the performer manages to impress us and his audience with his performing style). Personally, I didn't mind the luke-warm presentations, but I must admit to sympathising with those who have come to expect a complete package (especially at almost double the price of the other sets mentioned above).

As for your second quote (that you look forward to the 4-volume sets of those who "know far more than" you): maybe this kind of thinking is the reason there's a problem here - perhaps not everyone who has knowledge must go out and produce a 4-volume DVD set. The market is swamped with this stuff by now. There's so much material by well-known performers out there to keep us busy (and poor) for a long time. So when someone who (by their own admission) is not well-known at all pitches up with a competing set he may find himself being judged by very high standards.
Menetekel
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Menetekel
The chair Prediction is one of the best I saw but it's not as direct as I was lead to believe from hype. I'm very disappointed by the lack of directness of most methods. and they are too expensive for what they offer. Cannot really stand any comparison with Osterlind or Maven videos which were also cheaper to buy. as a matter of fact I'm in the process of selling them halfprice. pre-ordering can be really a trap particularly if you only bought those videos believing all the crap about the directness of the effects according to an extreme dealer's hype.
joeyjojo
View Profile
Regular user
uruguay
126 Posts

Profile of joeyjojo
Quote:
On 2005-01-01 04:48, Menetekel wrote:
The chair Prediction is one of the best I saw but it's not as direct as I was lead to believe from hype. I'm very disappointed by the lack of directness of most methods. and they are too expensive for what they offer. Cannot really stand any comparison with Osterlind or Maven videos which were also cheaper to buy. as a matter of fact I'm in the process of selling them halfprice. pre-ordering can be really a trap particularly if you only bought those videos believing all the crap about the directness of the effects according to an extreme dealer's hype.

Yes.
aaguilar007
View Profile
Regular user
México
106 Posts

Profile of aaguilar007
Philipmac, thanks for the information. I will order them right now.

Best,

Alfredo
“If you can make another person’s reality into something wonderful, you can do real magic”.

Richard Osterlind
Making Real Magic
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Dear Friends,

I have had these DVD's for several weeks now...watched them several times and finally feel like I can give an honest little review.

First let me say that DVD / video is usually not my particular choice for learning new magic or mentalism routines. I prefer the written word because it usually forces me to come up with my own style or presentation. That being said...I rarely watch a DVD / video with that in mind...my main focus is on "the effect".

I only mention this because there has been much discussion on Marc's style of presentation. I personally don't care how "Marc" performs these routines...obviously his style and presentation work for him.

Now concerning the effects...I can honestly say that I really liked these DVD's. There were several items that really stood out.

I will not list and review every item or routine as it is too time consuming...and my two year old just woke up from his nap!

I will say that my favorite routine on these DVD's was Marc's handling for a "confabulation" type routine. This thing simply ROCKS! I will definitely add this to my mentalism program.

Many years ago I had purchased the original confabulation on E-bay for several hundred dollars. Marc's routine will cost you about $10.00 and IMHO it is MUCH better...and more impossible looking. For me this one routine made the entire set worth it!

In short...I think they are GREAT!

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
MUM Magazine
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
From your mouth (keypad) to Michael Close's ears!
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Does a staple roulette cost much to perform. Anythink else to buy?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Reaction to the Spelman DVD's (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL