The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Keep a log (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
You keep a record for weight training, and many other things, keep a simple record of your magic training. How many of us have totally forgotten a card effect from a while ago never to rekindle it. Write every effect you perform and by keeping a record of your practice you will keep your stuff up to date
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Good idea.

I know I've begun to forget many effects. Now I type them up and throw them in a binder.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
596 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Steve, do you have a form to keep the information on?
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
I keep a log of all effects learned and I write down what I've practiced and the date. I take it to all sessions and to conventions.

It's been great to remember effects and log progress. Some explanations are very detailed. Those are the ones I feel I will forget do to completely. Others are just outlines.

It has become "the source" for many a late night jam.

And what's great is occasionally I put things in it that are original to me. At least until I find out someone else has created them. Smile

Cheers,
Brian
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A long while ago I kept notes on effects and routines I worked on.
I stopped doing magic for several years and forgot a lot of stuff. I remembered the notes and eventually found them.
Funny how much some of my ideas changed. Some are still OK, but with others I wonder what the heck I was thinking about.

I've recently been renewing my notes. I think it helps.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I used to keep a log, and still have it; however, I find that I am often practicing in odd times, when I do not have the book on me. I have fallen a bit out of practice....
DO NOT DO THIS! Since failing to keep my log, I feel that I have not achieved as much, and furthered my magical knowledge as much as I could have. It may appear like it is a wasted effort, and a pointless exercise; however, it means that you can look back and see how much you have progressed. How interesting would it be to know when you first started to learn a double lift, or another sleight, then to look back on it three or four years later and see how much you have progressed!
Owen
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
This is what Palm Pilots are for! They even have these nifty day planner calendars in them that you can use to log your time practising, rehearsing and performing!

Heck, I run my entire business based on this planner tool (as ACT! is no longer made for the Mac - the *(&&#%s! But it's not really designed to cover practise or rehearsals anyway) and it works out fine.

Hope this idea helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2707 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-11-26 15:44, Brian Roberts wrote:
I keep a log of all effects learned and I write down what I've practiced and the date. I take it to all sessions and to conventions.

It's been great to remember effects and log progress. Some explanations are very detailed. Those are the ones I feel I will forget do to completely. Others are just outlines.

And what's great is occasionally I put things in it that are original to me. At least until I find out someone else has created them. Smile

Cheers,
Brian

What do you put in the log? You "log progress." What exactly are you writing? I'm not being snotty here, I'd really like to know. I have a log, but it would be like; 4/19 Cups and Balls :25
4/22 Cups and Balls :30

?????
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2707 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-04-10 12:56, mandrake01 wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-11-26 15:44, Brian Roberts wrote:

Cheers,
Brian

What do you put in the log? You "log progress." What exactly are you writing? I'm not being snotty here, I'd really like to know. I have a log, but it would be like; 4/19 Cups and Balls :25
4/22 Cups and Balls :30

?????

My bad, of course the durations would be longer than 25 or 30 seconds, sorry.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Keep a log (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL