The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Double Straitjacket Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
I seriously doubt that both Dick Clark AND Steve Baker would risk their reputations for integrity by FAKING a dislocated shoulder and torn ligaments, in a feeble attempt to make an escape look "Death defying"
First off, Steve's injury occured during a dress rehearsal for his 3rd appearance on Dick Clark's Wednesday Live Show. If you were going to fake an Injury, wouldn't you want to do it live in front of the audience? Imagine the drama.
Secondly, if you watch the footage of the injury it's very subtle and you wouldn't even know he injured it had he not said something. Now it's not that I don't think that Steve is a good actor, as he has appeared in many movies, but he's also a great showman, and I believe any "intentional" injury would have been played up with more drama.
Third, the real drama would have been if Steve had re- attempted the escape live that night, with the injury, despite all the medical warnings and protests of Mr. Clark. I really doubt Steve would have passed up on this opportunity by waiting to re-attempt the escape for two weeks, had he been just "faking it" to fool everyone.
Fourth, Is it really necessary to fake a shoulder injury just to convince everyone that an escape is "Death Defying" when you're already hanging by your ankles, 30 feet in the air with the rope on fire? Doesn't a shoulder injury seem a bit anticlimactic when there's a very good chance that you could plummet to your death, smashing your head open and breaking your neck on Live TV?
Next, This was only Steve's 3rd appearance on the show and I don't think he would have risked not being asked back on some foolhearty stunt like faking an injury just to increase the danger aspect. You never know how an audience might react to something like that, not to mention there are much better ways of making an escape look more dangerous, and Mr. Baker is well aquainted with them.
Lastly, I freely admit that in the footage of the actual escape the Transport jacket "looks" a bit loose. The problem with this type of restraint is that it was invented by escape artists. It is not normal procedure in any psychiatric faclity I'm aware of, to double up the jackets like that. The jackets were not designed to be used together and as a result there is considerable "tenting" from the transport jacket when placed over the arms, folded in a standard posey jacket. But the straps all looked secure to me and the transport jacket was a bit tighter on the dress rehearsal footage. The other factor that comes into play is who is putting the jacket on you. I have had volunteers strap me in a SJ that have made it hard for me to breath. Others have made it so loose that it was hard to make the escape look convincing. This can be controlled to a certain point, but when there's a lot going on, it's sometimes easy to get a bit distracted.
In conclusion, I would like to say that I really don't have to defend Steve Baker as his career really speaks for itself. It just bothers me a little when one of the pioneers of this art is attacked in an open forum.
I guess there will always be individuals here who will insist on dwelling on the negative, and it is really for those people that I feel truly sorry.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Tony Tony, you sure do Post a Awful Long Posts but their worth reading.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Ummm... just for debate. Lets say he did "fake it" to sell the effect.

Don't we all? If we are any good that is?

How is it so many people in here use the tired old "I challenge every other escape artist" from Houdini, but you decry using another of his well documented tactics?

Again, not saying Steve did do that. But if he did, its called show business people.

Sadly far too many in here have no idea what that is about.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I will take Tony's long posts any day over the negative jabs thrown out by others. Well done Tony. Just to back up what you said, the straightjacket itself was put on tightly, the transport jacket fits OVER TOP of the other jacket so there is a little play. It wasnt designed for this purpose but it was clearly put on securely. And the escape was well executed.

I should also point out that people have been able to describe this Steve Baker's escape because there is a telivised record of it. It was on National TV. National Television exposure is the prize that all PROFESSIONAL entertainers shoot for. The guy who Don Randini wants to continually shoot down and discredit, had more network television time than anyone escape artist I've ever heard of. And not just on Dick Clark show either.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Sorry about the long post guys, and thanks for the kind words. Mark and Dean made some excellent points.
Tony
(How's this for a short one Don? Smile )
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Tony it is a little to short but good and to the point just got back in from seeing Blade Trinity. this movie is a Must See and you have to see the restraints in it. Don,
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Like I said...

MINIMUM WAGE to tear stuff down....

BIG money to create the stuff in the first place!
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Blade Trinity is out already? Cool. I'm a big fan of the series. What are the restraints like Don? Any Double Strait Jackets? (Just so we stay on topic Smile )
Tony
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
No Double Strait Jackets it it but the Restraints are THICK. they are the wrap around kind like in the ole days. I got to see a preview of it today. Blade Trinity is not going to be actully out until December 8th. also Christmas with the Kringles is supposed to be Funny. also the Movie Closer I will stay away from. Maybe if we can get a Movie Editing thing on a computer and wait for it to come out on DVD maybe we can graph in a Double SJ.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Thanks for the update Don. I guess it's nice to have connections.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Tony any time its actully nice that I get to deliver some of these movies and at times get to see them as well I just got back from the airport. picked up Finding Neverland. sorry no preview on this one as it is I beleive only being dropped off.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Are there books who explain how to get out of the double straitjacket or transport jacket?
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
There is a book by John Novak I beleive it is the art of escapes Volume 4 that your looking for there is also a video by jay leslie. on how to get out of a SJ. I'm not sure what either one contains but both should be worth checking out.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
The Novak book might not contain much.
I was highly disappointed with the "Metamorphosis" volume.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I was disappointed wit it to but learned from it. I think some of the books could of been done better.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Neither the Novak book, nor the Leslie Video covers double or transport Jackets. Tony
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Rats well I guess get the book/video the Trial and Error on The Double. how about putting the outside sj on backwards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Double Straitjacket Escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL