The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Defiance routine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Hi
If you guys would like to watch the routine with four small linking rings it is up on http://www.reedmcclintock.com in the magicians section. it is fun to watch unless you dont like linking rings. Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Pretty cool! Nice flip-over move.
I've never seen those type of rings before, though. Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

I am not quite sure I understand. You have never seen a set of linking rings before. they are regular rings. you get them from adams, royal, stevens magic emporioum. nothing special about the rings, that would be considered out of the ordinary. Smile

Reed McClintock 2003

Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
NO! I have rings of my own. Two sets, but I've never seen those exact type of rings before.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
All I can say is WHOA.
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

I think these are royal rings. they are smooth all the way around. I hope my post didn't seem crass or smart aleky. Sometimes it is difficult to type humour. I appologize if it looked rude. it was meant as funny. Smile

Reed McClintock 2003

Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Reed, your routine is killer. Hope to purchase it sometime soon. Thanks for showing it to me before the lecture.

I suggest that anyone who likes linking rings and likes to do walk around, learn this routine! It fits in your pocket, well if your wearing khakis. And is very entertaining.

Brian Smile
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Very entertaining, I let it run in loop several times. Very fluid. Are those realy the $12 Mini rings? Did they come like that,
or did you have to tweak and refine the key?

Very good job, and good timing.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

No tweeking at all. Like I said before the fluidity is far superior in real life. I was locked into a screen, and the camera guy could not move with me. So I am far more rigid in the video. In real life it honestly is like the ripples in a pond. I thank you for the kind words. Smile

Reed McClintock 2003

Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Reed, I think defiance is an awesome routine! You really have a visual understanding of what magic should look like, and it really shines through with the rings. What were your inspirations for your routine?
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Masahiro Yanagida, Dan Fleshman, Keiko Kobayashi, Richard Ross,Dai Vernon,Ron Korn, Shoot Ogawa especially. He was the one that got me started on the whole routine. He talked with his master and got permission for me and emailed me the approval. I changed the the ninja grip to more of a fingertip grip, added an in the air spin link, and restructred the routine to fit my style. Ron Korn gets credit, But I have never seen him do one of the sleights I use. I just had to research to see where it came from. I traced it to him.
I added work oN a richard ross move. All of the credits are in the manuscript.
I thank you for the kind words. I wish video caught all of the details that make the routine so strong. It is hard being confined in a little screen. Smile

Reed McClintock 2003

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Reed.
I never really got into working with rings. I know that Whit Haydn has a ring routine with 4 rings. I have seen the Martin Lewis video on the Macabee rings. Is this similar to your pocket rings? Anyway, I will check out the demo on the site, it sounds interesting. Also, can you give me some good references to ring books.
Thanks vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
As someone who has been doing the linking rings for well over 30 years, I just want to say that the routine looks fantastic. Once I saw it, I had to order it.

However, Reed, why is it called Defiance?

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>i know that whit haydn has a ring routine
>with 4 rings then i have seen martin lewis
>video on the macabee rings. is this similar
>to your pocket rings ?

My two cents ... Whit Haydn's is a comedy ring routine that requires at least 10-inch rings and a spectator. The McAbee Rings are more like the size of bracelets and are for close-up performances with spectator's involvement, if you follow the routine as indicated. Reed's are kind of a midway between the two using 6- or 8-inch rings (mine are on order but I have not yet received them) and his routine is done solely by the magician (although it can obviously be adapted).

Other references are Richard Ross' book and Dai Vernon's Symphony of the Rings.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Reed,
Do you do the routine silently as in the video, or is this just a demonstration?

Danny Fleshman also used a set of rings in this size for table hopping in his restaurant work.

You have some GREAT and visual moves!
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Hi Dennis
I do have a patter theme that I use. Also there is always loud music in the background. What you see on the video is just the moves I do. A huge credit goes to dan Fleshman, and master Yanagida. There are also several inspirations in this routine. Smile

Reed McClintock 2003

Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
You actually make the Linking Rings "Cool". Very nice job Reed.

Jakks
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I'm very much looking forward to receiving it.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

I don't make the rings, I just use regular rings.

Reed McClintock 2003

Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Terribly sorry. I meant that you make the effect look cool in it's style, not the rings themselves.

Jakks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Defiance routine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL